I'm seriously considering splurging on a new 6505 combo. Is there much of a difference in tone from the head?

I would think the combo would sound nicer at a bit lower levels since it's half the wattage but can somebody clarify?

I would not be able to test the combo as my local GC sucks but I have used the head quite a bit and like it.

Does the combo have a nice tight bass response or does it get floppy at high volume.

Also; are the speakers passable or would I need to swap them to get any kind of decent sound.

Thanks!

Edit
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
I owned a 5150 Combo and much prefer the head to it now.

The combo is biased warmer out of the factory so can sound better than a stock head with the matching cab. However, the speakers in the combo are pretty crappy imo and the head version sounds MUCH better with a nice 2x12 under it instead. With a bias mod, the head will sound even better, turning the bias up a bit to run the tubes a little hotter.

If wattage is what concerns you, the head's two outer or inner tubes can be pulled from it and your cab's ohms cut in half (ie: Your cab is 16 ohms, you plug it into the 8ohm out on the head), and it becomes 60W.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm not actually concerned with wattage I was just wondering if the Combo would be easier to crank to tube saturation. I'm most concerned with a tight bass response.

I have a very limited budget and just can't afford a 6505 1/4 stack. I've been checking craigslistings for months and just don't see anything that interesting so that's why I'm considering the combo.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom
I'm not actually concerned with wattage I was just wondering if the Combo would be easier to crank to tube saturation. I'm most concerned with a tight bass response.

I have a very limited budget and just can't afford a 6505 1/4 stack. I've been checking craigslistings for months and just don't see anything that interesting so that's why I'm considering the combo.
If you want a tight bass response, you shouldn't want tube saturation because that will loosen it.

And +1 to MatrixClaw, whatever he said.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by MatrixClaw
I owned a 5150 Combo and much prefer the head to it now.

The combo is biased warmer out of the factory so can sound better than a stock head with the matching cab. However, the speakers in the combo are pretty crappy imo and the head version sounds MUCH better with a nice 2x12 under it instead. With a bias mod, the head will sound even better, turning the bias up a bit to run the tubes a little hotter.

If wattage is what concerns you, the head's two outer or inner tubes can be pulled from it and your cab's ohms cut in half (ie: Your cab is 16 ohms, you plug it into the 8ohm out on the head), and it becomes 60W.

This. I replaced the stock speakers with two I snatched out of a brand new Vader cab. (They are custom V12 Legends) and put new tubes in it (JJ's from Eurotubes) and WoW. It sounds like two sledgehammers pounding the floor at a post of 3. I absolutely love it. I highly recommend the combo.