Okay ... I've been having a MAJOR problem while playing a solo or just a small lick.
Y'see, sometimes I can't follow the lead, or sometimes I can't understand it.
Whenever I read TABS, I can't swallow the information. I also not all that good at memorizing notes.

Should I just Improvise everything (excluding leads that are the core essence of a song) as long as it sounds good to me and everyone else?
depends on the song, some really depend on the melody to be exact. But Id say its fine for most its just basically making it your own, no matter how gay that sounds.
Thats what I do when I play solos for songs. I memorize the rhythmic part of a solo and improvise along the same notes and try to imitate the solo. I just can't grasp other guitarists solos note for note. I'm sure I could if I practiced it non-stop.
Last edited by xHellbound at Sep 24, 2008,
You gotta remember things like riffs, or maybe if there's a really memorable part to the solo. But other than that, go for it, improvise to your hearts content. Most artists do that when performing their own songs live anyway.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by AsherKetchum
Okay ... I've been having a MAJOR problem while playing a solo or just a small lick.
Y'see, sometimes I can't follow the lead, or sometimes I can't understand it.
Whenever I read TABS, I can't swallow the information. I also not all that good at memorizing notes.

Should I just Improvise everything (excluding leads that are the core essence of a song) as long as it sounds good to me and everyone else?

Learning other peoples solos is a valuable exercise, and teaching yourself how to learn is a skill in itself, you just need more patience. Practice things slower, work on your listening skills and spend more time familiarising yourself with the piece of music you're trying to learn.

Copping and out and "improvising" simply because you didn't have the patience to learn it properly isn't really going to help you progress. If you're really struggling then just work on something simpler. Nothing wrong with putting your own spin on things, but after you've learned and understood the original.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 24, 2008,