Recently my low E string has become noticeably looser, buzzier, slightly floppier and easier to push down than all the other strings for some reason. The reason it's bothering me is because the string pushes down all the way at the slightest touch (especially in drop D when the string is even more floppy) and the other strings don't, it's kind of hard to describe but its frustrating . Plus it makes power chords feel weird because the other strings have more resistance to push down. It just kind of happened about 1 or 2 weeks after I replaced the factory strings on the guitar (I bought it 3 weeks ago).

Is there any reason why this happened and anyway to fix it? It happened on my old guitar but it didn't bother be because i was getting a new one, and now on this 3 week old guitar it's starting again. I haven't touched the action or anything on this guitar since buying it recently, but i think it might be the way I'm stringing it. Again, I don't know why the string is like this now, but if any of you have experienced this before, know why it happens, or know how to help please respond!

If this helps, I use a .48 gauge ernie ball low e (because i play in drop D as well as standard E, that way it is not too floppy in drop D) with the rest of the strings being from .10 standard ernie ball set.
Wow, I've never heard of that problem before. :O
Good luck mate, 'cause that seriously sucks. =/
I sort of had the same problem, but i had the local shop set it up for me and it plays amazing now. That's probably gonna be your best bet.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Check to make sure if the string is on the bridge and knut correctly. If not, you should at least probably get a new low e string.
what bridge is it?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
its a tune-o-matic bridge, comes with epiphones and gibsons. In reply to Cobalt Blue, yes, it is looser but still in tune.

To Necrophagist777, I just bought the guitar recently which is why I was kind of avert to going to get it set up in the shop. It had no problems when i bought it and the problem started a week after replacing the strings. When they set yours up did they just adjust action and intonation?

I'm pretty sure getting a new low e won't fix the problem, as i had and still have this same problem in my old guitar and when i replaced the strings the low e would still feel floppier, buzzier, and looser than it should.
what strings are you using?
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by DC5
its a tune-o-matic bridge, comes with epiphones and gibsons. In reply to Cobalt Blue, yes, it is looser but still in tune.

To Necrophagist777, I just bought the guitar recently which is why I was kind of avert to going to get it set up in the shop. It had no problems when i bought it and the problem started a week after replacing the strings. When they set yours up did they just adjust action and intonation?

I'm pretty sure getting a new low e won't fix the problem, as i had and still have this same problem in my old guitar and when i replaced the strings the low e would still feel floppier, buzzier, and looser than it should.

Yea the guy set everything up for me, adjusted the truss rod, action, intonation, raised the pickups a little. i play in drop c and he set it up for that tuning and it plays amazing now. charged me 30 bucks for it, def worth it imo.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I'm using ernie ball strings. In case you were wondering the guitar is an epiphone les paul prophecy ex.

I guess i'll go to get it set up, but when they are adjusting the action do they adjust to what is considered 'average action'? Or do they ask you what height you want it?

Also for Necrophagist777, did you ask the store about your problem and they said the guitar was set up incorrectly or did you just go in and ask to have your guitar set up?
Sounds like either the nuts just cut very deep or the bridge saddle that the sting sits on, both of these things plus a lower action can result in a lower string tension, also if the string is unraveling itd become looser, but then again the tuning would go out.

I know this may seem stupid TS but if its true, you wouldnt be the only one, i've done it before and was like "Wtfff", are you sure the string isn tuned an octave below what it should be? Try tuning it up to the next E.
you said you changed strings. what guage strings where on it when ya got it? if you changed the size it will def. change playability.
When i got it I think the strings were .46-.10, when i replaced my strings i replaced everything the same except the low E, which i replaced with a .48 (ernie ball).

Now just a reminder when i first replaced the low E with the .48 it was perfectly fine and played good for about a week, then this started to happen. So I think something might have happened over the course of that week to the string itself or the guitar.

The way I string the string is letting the first wrap go above, then all other wraps below, so it kind of locks the string between the wraps. Would this cause the string to become floppier?