I need help with Improvising over the song Anthropology by Dizzie Gilespie and Charlie Parker. The chords change like every half a second or something, so how am I supposed to keep up?

This is the chord progression...

Bb6 G7 | Cm7 F7 | Bb6 Gm7 | C7 F7 | Bb7 | Eb6 Ebm6 | Dm7 G7 | Cm7 F7 |
Always try and keep a bodily rhythm, if that requires foot tapping, then put on your tappin' shoes.

start slow, search for your notes (harmonious AND cacophonous) , and stay with that rhythm.

Just play what makes sense to your ear
Quote by greenday1182
i just heard the most amazing solo ever. it's in a song called "holiday" by green day. its even harder than some of blink 182s stuff!! im gonna learn this solo right now! give it a listen, its really good sounding and not too easy.
Quote by 1ByOne
I need help with Improvising over the song Anthropology by Dizzie Gilespie and Charlie Parker. The chords change like every half a second or something, so how am I supposed to keep up?

This is the chord progression...

Gm7 G7 | Cm7 F7 | Gm7 Gm7 | C7 F7 | Bb7 | Cm7 Cm7b5| Dm7 G7 | Cm7 F7 |
First of, rewrite some of those chords so they're easier to improvise over. Major 6th chords are the same as minor chords three semitones down. I've also change that Ebm6 to a Cm7b5 for my own simplicity.

This makes things a little easier. I'll list the simplest options I can see. The best option will always be playing the changes, but you said thats not possible as the chords move too fast.

Stick to a G minor pentatonic shape and modify it slightly. Modify it in these ways:
In the first measure use a straight G minor pentatonic thing, possible G dorian with an added b5 and avoid using that 4th. It fits well over both chords. It even sort of works over the next, but you would want to add a few notes to that pentatonic scale slightly so its a G aeolian mode.
Keep playing this G pentatonic scale for the next two chords, but replace it so it looks like a dorian thing. Switch back to G aeolian for the next 2 bars (C7 F7), but change that G aeolian to a G phrygian for the next bar (Bb7). Use a straight pentatonic for the next 4 bars, although you might get away with playing a G dorian shape over the Cm7 and Cm7b5.

I hope that makes sense. You could just use a G minor pentatonic shape over the whole thing, but that wouldnt sound very bop. This is why I told you how to modify that shape so it would sound a little bit better.

And use heaps of chromatic runs. Nothing more bop like than chromatic runs (except maybe b5'ths, but thats going to be difficult if you cant keep up with the chords).

Keep in mind this was written for dizzy and parker, I dont think we've ever seen better improvisers. They could probably follow these chords and still be able to do weird tricks. Lucky fucks

Inb4 ordinary jokes and "your not ready for modes" jokes
Last edited by demonofthenight at Sep 24, 2008,