I know i ask really random questions sometimes but does working on the left side of the brain impede the ability to work with the right side of the brain? the creative side
So if you grow up to be a very good mathematician for example does it mean you're going to lack musical capabilities and creativity?
Quote by Virtuoso883
I know i ask really random questions sometimes but does working on the left side of the brain impede the ability to work with the right side of the brain? the creative side
So if you grow up to be a very good mathematician for example does it mean you're going to lack musical capabilities and creativity?

Nope

Perfect example, an engineer needs to be able to work out complex eqiations about his structures etc....

but he also has to innovate these designs...and ultimately design them..which takes many different freehand sketches and engineering drawings......

If they couldnt work together then this guy would be ****ed wouldnt he?
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by Jackolas
See me as an example.

No, you're the guy that said he dreamt the future. Brain tumour =/= logical.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
as someone who cant have both?
i luf da grammer knotziez

gear: (i wanna fit in)
ibanez tbx150r
phase90
lil big muff pi
weeping demon
esp viper100
boss chorus
other junk
Quote by donkey the wise
Well played Sir sFsKroniK
yay m special
Quote by JamesDouglas
No, you're the guy that said he dreamt the future. Brain tumour =/= logical.

Well it happened. IT HAPPENED OKAY?! Damn cats.

Holy shit, you actually made a note of that post? Pretty cool.
Quote by Jackolas
Well it happened. IT HAPPENED OKAY?! Damn cats.

Holy shit, you actually made a note of that post? Pretty cool.

It was easy to remember - the association between your story, your avatar and your need for a CAT scan.

Quote by Jackolas
Wat.

See link in edit.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by JamesDouglas
It was easy to remember - the association between your story, your avatar and your need for a CAT scan.

I don't like how your brain works. YOU ARE EVIL.

I've had a CAT scan before.
Quote by Virtuoso883
It's not that stupid

Ok, I was a little harsh.

But now you know the truth! (If you read the article I linked to)
Quote by JamesDouglas
Ok, I was a little harsh.

Try this out:
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talk/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

One article on the subject does not make that article the truth. This woman studied the human brain for over 20 years and then had a stroke and was able to feel and examine what was going on in her brain during the stroke. Maybe you should read into things a bit more before making up your mind on the subject.
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
Quote by JamesDouglas

Hmm yes some random article with 6 comments on "the internet", clearly the truth over years of study.
Quote by Jackolas
Hmm yes some random article with 6 comments on "the internet", clearly the truth over years of study.

Are you still upset because I don't believe that you can predict the future?

I don't think it's the amount of comments or where it's located that's important, but rather the sources:

Corballis, M. C. (2007) The dual-brain myth. In: S. D. Sala (Ed.). Tall tales about the mind and brain: separating fact from fiction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Milner, B. (1971). Interhemispheric differences in the localization of psychological processes in man, Neurology, 8, 299-321.
Quote by JamesDouglas

I don't think it's the amount of comments or where it's located that's important, but rather the sources:

You fail to realize that Corballis is only a psychologist, he does not exactly have expertise in neurology and the actual brain anatomy and its hemispheres. He specializes in visual imagery and perception, not cognition/language/hemispherical tendencies of the brain.
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
Last edited by pavel at Sep 24, 2008,
I have neither.

wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by pavel
You fail to realize that Corballis is only a psychologist, he does not exactly have expertise in neurology and the actual brain anatomy and its hemispheres. He specializes in visual imagery and perception, not cognition/language/hemispherical tendencies of the brain.

You fail to recognize the second reference. It's just below the first. Try reading everything.
Quote by JamesDouglas

You are so pretentious I am embarrassed for you. I didn't say I could predict the future, but that dream did happen.

Also, it obviously struck a chord with you as you have bought it up TWICE now in a completely unrelated thread.
Quote by Jackolas
You are so pretentious I am embarrassed for you. I didn't say I could predict the future, but that dream did happen.

Also, it obviously struck a chord with you as you have bought it up TWICE now in a completely unrelated thread.

He's probably jealous that he never has any badass future dreams. I know I am. What was the dream about, anyways? I wasn't there when this happened, apparently.
Quote by JamesDouglas

an article written using only 2 pieces of work as references?

yeah, that's got some real weight behind it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'm a complete dumbass, and I aren't that creative either.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
The left-right model (as it's usually understood) is over simplistic and has been widely discredited.

Everyone is both logical and creative, to some degree.
Brian May- One of the greatest guitarists in rock music.
- PHD in astrophysics.

Bruce Dikinson- Frontman for one of the most influential metal bands.
- Proffesional commercial airline pilot.

Answer your question?
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by Jackolas

Yes, bullshit does strike a chord. I'm sure that you'll blow up my mind with your powers anyway. Or perhaps you'll put a curse on me?

Quote by Lemoninfluence
an article written using only 2 pieces of work as references?

yeah, that's got some real weight behind it.

Yes, it needs at least 3 references to even be considered. Those are two real studies, what more do you want? "Research covered here has been published in reputable academic journals in many different areas of psychology."

http://www.spring.org.uk/2004/01/about-this-blog.php

Honestly, you people are trying to refute a reputable site with absolutely no justification.

Quote by smb
The left-right model (as it's usually understood) is over simplistic and has been widely discredited.

Everyone is both logical and creative, to some degree.

This.
Last edited by JamesDouglas at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by JamesDouglas
Yes, it needs at least 3 references to even be considered. Those are two real studies, what more do you want? "Research covered here has been published in reputable academic journals in many different areas of psychology."

http://www.spring.org.uk/2004/01/about-this-blog.php

Honestly, you people are trying to refute a reputable site with absolutely no justification.

I'm just saying that a solid believable article will have referenced more than 2 works. you acted as if the 2 sources below the text meant that it's completely irrefutable. hell I'm expected to reference around 10 books in each piece of work I do and that's only normal uni assignments. you think someone trying to put forward their work and point of view to be taken seriously by the public would at least take the time to reference more works.

and he referenced a reference. the more I look into this the less I respect this article and it's author. It's a poor example of academic writing so don't try and use it to silence people who don't agree with you.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm just saying that a solid believable article will have referenced more than 2 works. you acted as if the 2 sources below the text meant that it's completely irrefutable. hell I'm expected to reference around 10 books in each piece of work I do and that's only normal uni assignments. you think someone trying to put forward their work and point of view to be taken seriously by the public would at least take the time to reference more works.

and he referenced a reference. the more I look into this the less I respect this article and it's author. It's a poor example of academic writing so don't try and use it to silence people who don't agree with you.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/brain/mg16321934.600
http://scienceblogs.com/neurophilosophy/2007/10/the_left_brain_right_brain_myt.php
http://donaldclarkplanb.blogspot.com/2007/06/left-brain-right-brain-myth.html
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1892/
http://www.rense.com/general2/rb.htm

Google if you want more.
I wasn't arguing your viewpoint I was arguing your method of putting that viewpoint across. you could have saved yourself some time and effort doing that from the beginning.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I wasn't arguing your viewpoint I was arguing your method of putting that viewpoint across. you could have saved yourself some time and effort doing that from the beginning.

Fair enough.
Im living proof it can exist

...not really
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
I'm a physics major at UNH, and I'm also the songwriter for my band...

sooooo.... /thread?
Quote by Th6r6a6sH
The Pit is a reliable source of information
Quote by imdeth
My penis is tough. My penis is elite.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I like Luigi.

His cock is maximum.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

OPETH RULES.

Member of Åkerfeldtism

My last.fm
Hemispheric specialization exists for certain aspects of specific functions, such as language and memory, and, to my knowledge, only on the cortical level. The popular notion that things like reason and creativity are centered in specific hemispheres, and that individuals specialize in one over the other, in completely unfounded.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Jackolas

I don't know exactly what post you guys are talking about, but I can say this: No it didn't.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?