hey guys
i have been looking at amps for quite some time.. n im looking to upgrade from my tiny little 10 watt practice amp. I just play in my room so i dont need anything big.. i have looked at both the marshall avt50 and the line 6 spider 3.. anyone got any pros or cons on either? and what would do u think i should get?
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
Um...nothing but cons really.

How much money you got and what kind of stuff do you play?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
lol about what regression said cus the guitarists in my band, one has a marshall valvestate 50 watts and the other one has a 120 watt line 6 spider III. *faceplant*
yo go to a guitar shop and try some things out. i wouldn't reccomend getting the line 6 unless you've tried one out in a shop and like it. I dont like line 6 amps (i do like toneports but thats different), and i know alot of other people think theyre terrrrrible. I have a marshall AVT100 which i use at home and for gigging, and its alright for rock/heavy stuff, but not great. It really depends what kind of music you play. I guess that the line 6 would cover alot more styles than the marshall, but i dont like the line 6 sound.
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by luke-bassist
lol about what regression said cus the guitarists in my band, one has a marshall valvestate 50 watts and the other one has a 120 watt line 6 spider III. *faceplant*

ha thats like what our band set up was. avt100 + spider II. spider always sounded terrible though
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Same as steven seagull. Budget, styles, location would also be helpful cause then we can help you.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
umm well im looking spend bout 900-1000 AUS, i play like rock, metal, but i i wouldnt mind i a nice clean sound aswell.. thx guyss
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
Buy a Vox ad 30/50 vt...........if you rerally like metal you could go with the XL version which is catered to heavier tones but the normal vox also does metal pretty decent along with excellent cleans, good rock tones and nice for blues aswell.
If you can stretch just a bit past $1000, these may be good bets.

https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=4925 It won't get metal on its own, but a Bad Monkey is a good cheap OD that will get you there.

Actually, that's about all I can find new. So I decided to look used for you on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vox-AD60VTX-Valvetronix-Valve-Guitar-Amp-Amplifier-USED_W0QQitemZ190253227378QQihZ009QQcategoryZ58718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem If you're into modelling amps, this could be a way to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marshall-JCM-2000-DSL-401-Value-Guitar-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ200255612244QQihZ010QQcategoryZ58718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Trust me, for this price you aren't gonna do better. I can guarantee it. If you can, take this baby and run like hell.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I don't know where in Oz you are, but
http://adelaide.craigslist.com.au/msg/842646105.html is also a good deal and with your savings, you can probably get a Metal Muff and a good OD to boost your br00talz. That's my standard recipe for good metal distortion.
Quote by Cathbard
AVT isn't a bad amp at all. Better than Vox AD and Roland Cube IMO
If you're getting it for the same price as the Line 6 Spider I'd say it was a good deal.
I'm not really sure about all the hate on the AVT50 either.

I used one for about 7 years and was generally pretty satisfied with it. I picked mine up for about $40$450 when I bought it, and it sounded like a $400-450 amp.

I guess people just think all Marshalls except for the all tube ones suck. Its not GREAT, but its not horrible either.
Why does everyone hate Line 6?
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
We don't hate Line6, almost everyone will agree that Flextones are the best SS modelers and Vetta the best modelers full stop. The only ones I personally hate are the SS Spiders because they sound digital IMO, which is widely agreed round here.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
We don't hate Line6, almost everyone will agree that Flextones are the best SS modelers and Vetta the best modelers full stop. The only ones I personally hate are the SS Spiders because they sound digital IMO, which is widely agreed round here.

Vetta aren't the best modellers IMO...
Last edited by Horlicks at Sep 27, 2008,
+1 on the H&K stuff, killer sound... Big money though. I picked up a Spider Valve 112 which I absolutely love. Its a modeler sure, but the cleans are awesome and the high gain stuff can sill be tweaked to sound great, plus when its cranked its sick. I also have a Flextone II that Is the other end of the spectrum. I cant stand it and think its lifeless. Vetta is great, but again a lot of money. I also owned a Tech 21 powerengine with a Pod XT that sounded great, just a hassle to move around. Overall I like Line 6 for most things, a lot of versatility for not much money.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
I like the valve Spiders, but not many others do.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Horlicks
Vetta aren't the best modellers IMO...

I stand corrected.
Quote by Cathbard
Legacy Blues Twin (Epiphone Blues Custom)
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/6/8/0/1/680135/pics/_c423818_image_0.jpg

Bought one of these and I'm in love with it so I recommend you check on out and see what you think. It'll get you to deep into Rock territory all by its self and I'm certain that the addition of an OD pedal should get you Metal
Something like this maybe

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marshall-JCM900-Model-4501_W0QQitemZ120308326417QQihZ002QQcategoryZ58718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Marshall tube combo's come up all the time on ebay around $800ish that would be where I was looking if I were the OP. They'll cover the rock easy, a little bit of metal and the cleans, well 2 out of 3 aint bad. I got my JCM800 for $700 from a pawn shop too.

EDIT: also a Mesa Studio .22+ would be good, does rock, metal and has good cleans and at 20W is ok for bedroom practice but it's still jammable. I got mine for $800 and seen a few go under $1,000 but they aren't as common as Marshalls.
Last edited by treagar at Sep 27, 2008,