Hi everyone,

My band members are all beginners including me. Yesterday the rhythm guitarist showed us a riff that he wrote.It was cool but it has some unusual chords that I want you guys to tell me if these are even chords or not? what are they called and would it be wrong to use them in a song? (because the second one dosent sound right to my ears)

chords are:

and:

and:

thanks UG.
A drumer is needed!!

In Dammam or Khobar
Last edited by shpaz at Sep 24, 2008,
cool, well it depends what strings these chords are played on, im guessing low e to d, or a to g, the reason i say this is because that relationship in all the chords like the 3,5 , 7,9 and 5,7 are just the same notes (imagine a powerchord) the open string in between just adds some colour to what is otherwise an octave. the 507 chord will sound weird because ure playing 3 of the same notes (if the chord is played on the strings i mentioned above).

to be honest mate, its your own music so there is no right or wrong. well done that ure beginners and ure making music. thats what i did, and in general i didnt use too much theory, i kept it simple and used my ear more. so if that middle chord doesnt sound right, tinker with the notes or add a second guitar over to add some more texture.

hope ure song turns out like you want it
yes dude low e ,a and d strings. thanks for the info.
Rock On
A drumer is needed!!

In Dammam or Khobar
There is never a write or wrong when writing music. There are rules which people usually follow, but if it sounds good to you, who is to say that it is 'wrong'?
they are chords, everything that sounds good that combines notes is a chord and it doesnt matter if it's a known chord or not. make your own chords! thats what a musician is all about.
The 507 chord would just be an A with two A's hit and the octave so AAA,
709 would be B A B. . . so a B root with a seventh in the chord, or an A with a suspended second, however you want to do that.
305 would be G A G. . . so it could be a suspended second chord again, or more feasably an A with a minor 7th. . . . then you could put it all under C major scale.

So you could call it A, B half diminished 7, Aminor7 at any rate, not very weird or out there. Check out some Jazz or Mars volta stuff. . . and omar doesn't even know any music theory.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris