hey UG, i'm in the middle of making a 1x15" speaker cabinet in woodshop class. i've got all of the peices cut but i know nothing when it comes to good speakers.

can anybody give me some ideas for a relatively cheap but good 15" speaker?
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
Ignore the above suggestion for the bass speaker.

Go for the Eminence Legend 105L (I believe that's its name at least), basically their 15 inch legend. American voiced, and a pretty awesome speaker. I think Vader uses them.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

Go for the Eminence Legend 105L (I believe that's its name at least), basically their 15 inch legend. American voiced, and a pretty awesome speaker. I think Vader uses them.

this
i'm not building it for a bass, im building it for guitar.
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Quote by deftonesordie
whump whump whump?

please, use 12's.

i already have a 2x12 combo, i really see no need in making a 1x12. and plus the box is already assembled. it just needs to have the speaker mounted and it wired up.
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Quote by AUSTINZOR
i'm not building it for a bass, im building it for guitar.

Sorry... I just assumed, ya know?
Quote by MrCarrot

I third this.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I third this.

good for you but, I'M NOT BUILDING A BASS CAB.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMINENCE-LEGEND-151-15-150W-COMBO-GUITAR-SPEAKER_W0QQitemZ7317383860QQcmdZViewItem

Would this be any good for metal?
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Last edited by AUSTINZOR at Sep 25, 2008,
^15" speakers are good for blues, not metal. That is, however, a good price for that speaker.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^15" speakers are good for blues, not metal. That is, however, a good price for that speaker.

well, to make up for the fact that my band doesnt have a bass player, we felt as though we should makeup for it with the low end.

and i really want a 1x15
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Just wanging a 15" speaker after your amp won't give you more low end. If you're compensating for the lack of a bassist, get an octave pedal too.
Quote by AUSTINZOR
well, to make up for the fact that my band doesnt have a bass player, we felt as though we should makeup for it with the low end.

and i really want a 1x15

4x10 is going to give you better bass than a 1x15. That is why fender changed the bassman from a 1x15 to a 4x10. I do love the 1x15 but it just doesn't work for metal.

The problem with a 15" speaker is that distortion is really fizzy and has no definition. So if you just want round full clean low end a 15" can be great but if you want to play metal it's not going to do it at all.
Not taking any online orders.
A 1x15 will NOT replace the lack of low end for not having a bassist... Get a bassist if you want more low end like that, a guitar will not cover that lacking frequency range. And do you have ANY plans of porting this, adding tweeters or anything, because it will sound like utter shit if its the straight boom of a fifteen. And make sure that the ohm rating of the speak matches that of the head that you are going to use with this (if it works) or it wont work.
Quote by CorduroyEW
4x10 is going to give you better bass than a 1x15. That is why fender changed the bassman from a 1x15 to a 4x10. I do love the 1x15 but it just doesn't work for metal.

The problem with a 15" speaker is that distortion is really fizzy and has no definition. So if you just want round full clean low end a 15" can be great but if you want to play metal it's not going to do it at all.

i have a 2x10 and in my opinion, it doesnt sound the way i would like it to. it just sounds like it lacks **** and balls. thats why im going for the 15". i played through a 2x15 and a 1x15 once an it sounded great. and necrophagist uses a 2x15 under their 4x12s and i dig the sound they get.

Quote by Bass-man43
A 1x15 will NOT replace the lack of low end for not having a bassist... Get a bassist if you want more low end like that, a guitar will not cover that lacking frequency range. And do you have ANY plans of porting this, adding tweeters or anything, because it will sound like utter shit if its the straight boom of a fifteen. And make sure that the ohm rating of the speak matches that of the head that you are going to use with this (if it works) or it wont work.

ive already looked into all of that, my friend.
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Quote by AUSTINZOR
good for you but, I'M NOT BUILDING A BASS CAB.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMINENCE-LEGEND-151-15-150W-COMBO-GUITAR-SPEAKER_W0QQitemZ7317383860QQcmdZViewItem

Would this be any good for metal?

The speaker I was talking about wasn't a bass speaker O.o And the guy I quoted said FORGET about the bass speaker suggestion.
AND that's the very speaker in the Vader cabs that Necrophagist uses.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by AUSTINZOR
i have a 2x10 and in my opinion, it doesnt sound the way i would like it to. it just sounds like it lacks **** and balls.

well, if it's shitty balls that you want out of your tone, you're headed in the right direction.
------

Shwiggity.
i have a Peavey TKO bass amp, and its a 1x15".

i absolutely love it for my guitar...i run my Boss MT-2 through it...it sounds amazing!

better than any tube/SS amp ive ever heard..

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
Quote by deftonesordie
well, if it's shitty balls that you want out of your tone, you're headed in the right direction.

Ahahha this.

Use a guitar speaker and get a ****ing bassist.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Ahahha this.

Use a guitar speaker and get a ****ing bassist.

i agree. To be honest i can shake the walls of my house (a very well built house i may add :p) with my 4x10 speaker cab hooked up to my bass. So you don't need a big speaker to get a lot of low end, you need a big cab and it needs to be completely solid, try thick plywood all round, gluing AND screwing everything together to avoid rattle. Then you need to have porting at the front to allow your speakers to breathe and direct all the sound that comes out from the speakers and more importantly the cab forwards. It still won't make up for your lack of bass player though your guitar will just sound muddy and flabby and feedback like crazy. Good luck palm-muting is all i can say if you won't listen to any of us.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."