Hey guys, I've recently acquired a bad case of G.A.S. and I'm looking to get an OD pedal, though I don't know which one.

So far, I've narrowed it down to Ibanez TS9 and TS9DX, or a Fulltone OCD. The Fulltone is quite a bit more money, though I'm not sure it is what I need or am looking for, so I'm wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction.

I'm looking to boost my lead and get a tone similar to his Technical Difficulties tone in this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g&feature=related )

I'm looking for enough boost to get a sick sound like the intro riff, yet a nice smooth clear solo tone like Paul has in the video (if that makes sense)

I've also heard a TS7 sounds like a TS808 and can be easily modded to a TS808, and is also much cheaper.

Right now, my meager rig consists of a Peavey 5150 212 Combo and an Ibanez PGM100.

so any advice/insight on which one I should get?
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
I love my Fulltone OCD. Just so you know it will give your tone a Marshallish EL34 sounding growl/crunch. I get amazing results on all of my amps. It gives my 6505 combo a completely different tone. Imagine a 6L6 based amp with a Marshallish sounding run off/sustain. VERY unique. I barely use my Maxon OD808 anymore. It's expensive but I'd never part with it. Look into a Maxon OD820 also.
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at Sep 24, 2008,
The Fulltone OCD is a great pedal. I highly recommend Keeley Mods, especially if you choose a tubescreamer.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=5

His mods vastly improve original tubescreamers, and you can pick them up used for pretty good prices.

I'm not a huge fan of the stock TS9, but the TS9DX offers a good bit of versatility. The general consensus around here is that the TS808 is overpriced for what you get, and I tend to agree.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
right, interesting question since I'm currently using both the TS9 and the OCD in my gigging rig...

i'm using the OCD for my main overdriven tone (cranking a tiny terror in a pub = "turn it down please") and the TS9 for the boost...

both work well, but I'd say the OCD was more of an out-and-out OD pedal rather than a Boost.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Yeah, I should have added the OCD is indeed more of an overdrive pedal than a boost but what it does, it does kick ass! It's nice to see the OCD love going on here. I seriously love my OCD. In fact, I have OCD about my OCD.
It is a fantastic pedal...the drive in that pedal alone is better than my old amp (Marshall TSL100). Quite astounding.

You also don't lose many of the playing dynamics with it either, which i have found quite rare!
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
hmm I'm really thinking about the Fulltone OCD but they don't carry any at Guitar Center and I have a $25 gift card there I could use to cut the price a little

Would I still be able to achieve clear smooth lead tones that are boosted using the OCD pedal?
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Its no point now, but you really should have searched. There's an Ultimate OD thread for a reason, it helps cut down on threads like these, and if people actually bothered using it then it would have become a decent resource. Nevermind though...
ah sorry about that

I think I'm going to get the TS9DX. I don't think the Fulltone is quite what I need right now, but probably down the road I will pick one up when I have money.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera