I play mostly metal, but I want to play jazz with it as well. I have an RG1527, which is basswood, and I intend to switch a D sonic into the bridge, and either a seymour duncan jazz pickup or an air norton into the neck. I'm willing to buy used, but overall price can't be too much more than $1200.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Sep 24, 2008,
where do you live (for craigslist purposes)?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I intend to get this amp the next time I go to the US.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Okay, what country are you in now?

EDIT: That makes buying used really tough. When's the next time you're coming to the US?

Don't judge me.
I live in Mumbai, India.

EDIT: And I'm coming back to the states over the summer.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Do you play with a drummer or just practice at home?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Do you play with a drummer or just practice at home?

Play with a drummer, and possibly gig.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
I have a line 6 and it is unbelievably versatile. I have a felxtone III XL check it out!!!
Okay. Let's see. You'd be better off used, but that's really tricky. IF you can work it out, look for a used Mesa F-30. That's the best recommendation I've got. I don't really see a used 5150 or 6505 working for jazz.

EDIT: For once, I'm actually going to agree with a Line 6 recommendation. Try the Flextone III. You might be pleased with it.

Don't judge me.
Marshall? I thought they were more hard rock than metal. When I say metal I mean brutal stuff like Necrophagist. And by jazz I mean more jazz fusion like Guthrie Govan, not Wes Montgomery or anything.

EDIT: I'll keep an eye out for Flextone IIIs and Mesa F-30s too.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Psychedelico
Marshall? I thought they were more hard rock than metal. When I say metal I mean brutal stuff like Necrophagist. And by jazz I mean more jazz fusion like Guthrie Govan, not Wes Montgomery or anything.

EDIT: I'll keep an eye out for Flextone IIIs and Mesa F-30s too.

Thank you for specifying the type of Jazz.

You might be interested in a SS high gainer, which typically have good cleans. Like an Ampeg VH-140. Problem is, they are out of production
just throw in a pedal or two in the front and you'll be fine. but if u don't want the hassle of pedals then i would think the mesa is your best option. but you still haven't given us a budget to work with so its really hard to recommend something without a goal to reach
Quote by kckyle
just throw in a pedal or two in the front and you'll be fine. but if u don't want the hassle of pedals then i would think the mesa is your best option. but you still haven't given us a budget to work with so its really hard to recommend something without a goal to reach

See my first post. the budget is $1200 (I changed it from $1000).

EDIT: To imgooley - are there any other amps that would work in place of that particular one? And could I find that model on ebay?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
ooooh right my bad. yeah i dont tend to read everything since i just woke up . for 1200 you can get the one i have. hughes and kettner switchblade. i can go from vox like clean to bogner type distortion and on top of that there is 32 channel presets you can save your presets to.
Quote by Psychedelico
See my first post. the budget is $1200 (I changed it from $1000).

EDIT: To imgooley - are there any other amps that would work in place of that particular one? And could I find that model on ebay?

That's the problem with the Ampegs. Hard to find.

High Gain is not my particular forte, but I love Ampeg amps, which is why I know of the VH.

http://www.pawnplex.com/Musical-ins/07/vh140c/index.html

I'll try to find you some more links.
Quote by kckyle
ooooh right my bad. yeah i dont tend to read everything since i just woke up . for 1200 you can get the one i have. hughes and kettner switchblade. i can go from vox like clean to bogner type distortion and on top of that there is 32 channel presets you can save your presets to.

I've not heard of bogner amps when talking about death metal distortion... can you give me a clip of them or something?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Bogners are very expensive (for the most part) handbuilt tube amps. You can find them in demos and stuff in alot of places. They're coming out with a new line called the Alchemist series. There's a 40 watt Alchemist for around 1100, and you should try that.

Don't judge me.
Well the video's definitely not bad, but it's not really brutal enough. How much "jazziness" would I lose if I decided to go for a better metal amp like a used mark IV?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
I think you'd be fine with a MkIV. They're less brutal than MkIIIs, so one would probably do what you want.

Don't judge me.
lol anything more brutal you're going to be looking at a mesa dual rectifier or 6505. as of now my rectifier keep giving me this crunch like distortion which isn't exactly what i'm after, thinking about switching it to el34 on the next retubing
Que? I don't know much about the inner workings of tube amps. I just know that you're supposed to put the standby on for a bit before you play the thing. Other than that and I'm lost.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
dude get a marshall MG!Just for the lulz + u will have crushing overdrive
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback