E|---------------------------------------------8---11--|
B|-------------------------------------8---11----------|
G|----------------------------8---10-------------------|
D|-------------------8---10----------------------------|
A|----------8---10-------------------------------------|
E|-8---11----------------------------------------------|

This for example, shredding up the pentatonic scale. best way to maximize speed? (picking direction, finger usage, hammer ons etc)
Last edited by kaystreet at Sep 24, 2008,
There is no best way. You are the one that shreds it, to shred you don't just go up the scale, just start making stuff up and as you get comfortable with the scale you will be able to play it fast aka shred it.
Quote by yoyodunno
You are the one that shreds it, to shred you don't just go up the scale, just start making stuff up and as you get comfortable with the scale you will be able to play it fast aka shred it.

Words of wisdom they are!
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
err to yoyoduno what i meant was the playing method, not a theory question. i want to play it that way. but im not sure what's the best way to maximize the speed
Play it however you want, people will still ghasp in astonishment over the innovations and freshness of someone wanking up and down the pentatonic scale... again...
Quote by kaystreet

This for example, shredding up the pentatonic scale. best way to maximize speed? (picking direction, finger usage, hammer ons etc)

That's not shredding - shredding generally encompasses virtuosity of composition as well as execution.

There's far more constructive things you could be focussing your efforts on - nobody's going to be impressed by you playing that pattern fast, it's boring as hell to listen to and just as boring to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
hmmm best way to shred..well you could take something simple like that pentatonic and add some tapping stuff to it to sound cool, or pick tapping makes stuff sound really fast. Aside from that, you could try learning some major scales and playing 3 notes per string instead of the 2 on the pentatonic.Best way to learn how to shred/ play/ improv is to get a backing track or your fav song and try to do fill ins. Just remember, its not how fast you go, its what you play and how you present it.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
Quote by kaystreet
damn you all don't understand my question

Right now i am teaching a kid at my work how to play scales clean without fumbles. Just start from top to bottom or bottom to top by first down strum, then up strumming then alternate. After you can play the scale up and down and so on.

After that pick your own rhythm to play with these notes. just play each string 4 times in any order when change it depending on what you want to do next, higher pitch or lower pitch.

Like everyone else said just play and if it sounds good keep playing it, if not make up something else.

An example

just something random so u get what everyone is trying to say.

E|-------------------------- 8--11---------------------|
B|---8--11---------8--11-----------------------------|
G|---------- 8--10------------------8---10--10---8-|
D|-------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------------|

Platy this, no clue how it would sound but its something that is the same notes. just play then in random orders till you like or love it.

Only you are holding yourself back at this point.