I searched, and while I found a good many general Star Trek threads, I didn't see one just for the new film. I could have overlooked it, though, or searched the wrong terms, so if there's already a thread, just let me know.

Anyway, I'm genuinely excited now that I've read up on the film. I've always considered myself a fan, having grown up with a Trekkie for an uncle, but I wouldn't call myself a Trekkie, I'm simply a well versed fan. But this film DOES look to be quite the experience.

I'm loving some of the cast choices, and kind of confused by others. Like Simon Pegg as Scotty and John Cho as Sulu. I'm not doubting their abilities to do these performances at all, it's just a weird thought. Two actors known for, really, ONLY comedy going into roles of such seriousness.

That's not to say there's no room for humor, but it's not really a comedy.

Anyway, discuss.

EDIT: No one cares if you think Star Wars is better. They are only comparable in name and fan devotion. Do not post solely to say that Star Wars is better or anything of the sort. Such posts are spam and will be reported as such

Thank you.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Sep 24, 2008,
What are you on about? The role of Scotty IS pure comedy.

Anyhoo, I don't know what to think of this, it'll probably suck without Shatner.
I think the TNG-crew films were underrated, but I'm not too excited about this new one.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Quote by freedoms_stain

Anyhoo, I don't know what to think of this, it'll probably suck without Shatner.

True, but he's also one of the more serious characters, as well. He's not ALL shits and giggles.

I wonder if he'll have to play the bagpipes in this one?

Saxo-Walrus

I'll be praying this is a good movie.

I wished they'd do a DS9 one.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
Quote by gangreneuk
Is it an odd-numbered Star Trek film?

I believe it's 11, what's the rule again?

ಠ_ಠ

wat

I'm well looking forward to this!

Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes) will make a VERY good Spock IMO.
Pegg as Scotty, I think he can do it. Run Fatboy Run had some slightly more serious elements to it...

The production looks real nice on it from the trailers I've seen. Apparently they are doing to this Star Trek as Batman Begins did to the original Batman movies.
Quote by Surak
I'll be praying this is a good movie.

I wished they'd do a DS9 one.
I'll second that one. A DS9 film done right (wait, this is Star Trek what am I thinking?) would be the best ST concept ever. I've heard tons of other fans say this too so I don't know why they haven't seriously considered it. Who knows, maybe they did but the cast isn't interested. The story would be hard to pick up from where they left off but I know everyone is dying to see a "where are they now?" applied to Sisko.
Quote by freedoms_stain

it looks like it will be a good movie and for the sake of movie quotes

Yea what the Fuk r u on about?!
Empire Records one of the best films ever.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren?
I thouht his name was Warren?

"slayer sabbath:
whats wrong with metal, has this website been taking over by power chording, girl pants wearing, emos?"
Quote by garett
I'll second that one. A DS9 film done right (wait, this is Star Trek what am I thinking?) would be the best ST concept ever. I've heard tons of other fans say this too so I don't know why they haven't seriously considered it. Who knows, maybe they did but the cast isn't interested. The story would be hard to pick up from where they left off but I know everyone is dying to see a "where are they now?" applied to Sisko.
DS9 wouldn't draw in a big enough crowd.

With 7 seasons of the show behind it it'd be too much for the casual viewer.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I like DS9, particularly after Worf joined.
When DS9 first came out I gave the first season a chance but couldn't stomach it.

Many years later, being a huge TNG fan, I had collected all of the TNG seasons on box set. I realized that TNG was very slow to get going too (the first season was downright horrible and campy... didn't really start to get good until the 3rd) so I decided to give DS9 another chance. By the end of the first season I was mildly interested in it. By the end of the 7th season I felt that it was the best of all the ST series by light years. The only issue with DS9 (and one of the reasons that I think a lot of people didn't like it) is that it was very soap-opera-ish and you can't just take any random episode that happens to be on and "get it" like you can with TNG. You have to watch it from the start. But then, having watched the whole series in order (many times now) that's actually one of it's strengths if you can give it that kind of commitment.
Quote by garett
When DS9 first came out I gave the first season a chance but couldn't stomach it.

Many years later, being a huge TNG fan, I had collected all of the TNG seasons on box set. I realized that TNG was very slow to get going too (the first season was downright horrible and campy... didn't really start to get good until the 3rd) so I decided to give DS9 another chance. By the end of the first season I was mildly interested in it. By the end of the 7th season I felt that it was the best of all the ST series by light years. The only issue with DS9 (and one of the reasons that I think a lot of people didn't like it) is that it was very soap-opera-ish and you can't just take any random episode that happens to be on and "get it" like you can with TNG. You have to watch it from the start. But then, having watched the whole series in order (many times now) that's actually one of it's strengths if you can give it that kind of commitment.
Yeah, DS9 has a long running story line, which starts in S2 I think, and builds up from there, i.e. the founders and the Jem'hadar.

I think when that story arc kicks in it starts to get good.

Also the Defiant is bitchin
Quote by freedoms_stain
Yeah, DS9 has a long running story line, which starts in S2 I think, and builds up from there, i.e. the founders and the Jem'hadar.

I think when that story arc kicks in it starts to get good.

Also the Defiant is bitchin
Yeah the Dominion war kept me glued to the series. But I also really appreciated the Bajoran / Cardasian story too. And I LOVE how they tied religion into the story in a very balanced way that pays tribute to both science / technology and religious beliefs and shows how it's plausible for religion to be explained by science while not offending people of that religion. It was a tough act to perform and they pulled it off brilliantly.
the creator of LOST is directing so it will be good.

simon pegg as scotty!! that will be hilarious. i love his movies, hes a pretty good actor.

im watching the first season of ds9 right now. sucks pretty hard, but the dominion war is probably the best story line in all of star trek.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Quote by heavyairship
the creator of LOST is directing so it will be good.
I don't think Abrams is a good choice. Most of his writing takes extreme artistic license and deals with matters that require a great deal of imagination to believe. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just that Star Trek has always been (mostly) closely tied to science. When it came to TNG the show took a great deal of pride in the fact that almost every technological advancement that they had was something that is theoretically possible given that we can overcome some of the major hurdles. We're no where near a warp drive or transporter yet but in theory they're both possible. Maybe. Abrams is more about ghosts, paranormal, supernatural etc.

If Fringe is any indication of what he's prepared to introduce to the Star Trek world then there is no hope. Not to mention that if that's where he's at today then he's completely lost it as a writer (no pun intended).

But I still intend to see the movie when it comes out and will reserve judgment for then.
Well, Abrams also did Alias, so I take that as a positive when it comes to sci-fi.

I'm confident in his skills as a director in general.

Also, Leonard Nimoy has been very, positive with his outlook on the movie, and, with only a few minor grievances, has been behind Abrams 100%, as far as I can tell.

But, as you said, I'm saving all critical judgement for the release.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by garett
I don't think Abrams is a good choice. Most of his writing takes extreme artistic license and deals with matters that require a great deal of imagination to believe. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just that Star Trek has always been (mostly) closely tied to science. When it came to TNG the show took a great deal of pride in the fact that almost every technological advancement that they had was something that is theoretically possible given that we can overcome some of the major hurdles. We're no where near a warp drive or transporter yet but in theory they're both possible. Maybe. Abrams is more about ghosts, paranormal, supernatural etc.

Exactly, that's what sets Star Trek apart from other space shows - it's TRUE science fiction, by definition. Hopefully the new movie won't stray from that, because if it does, I will be greatly disappointed. I am looking forward to it, though.

You know what would be really cool? If they remade the Star Trek Original Series pilot episode, "The Cage." That's by far my most favorite sci-fi film/episode.
We're only strays.
Some of the Star Trek films are good and others are terrible. This sounds like it will probably be one of the terrible ones.
You lucky bastards.
I wish someone would remake Dune. I've heard there's one in the works, whether it'll be good or not is yet to be seen
Quote by LordBishek
You lucky bastards.
I wish someone would remake Dune. I've heard there's one in the works, whether it'll be good or not is yet to be seen

I dunno dude, it's doubtful that a remake would be as good as the original. These days there's too much emphasis on CGI and big exciting action, and not enough on... well pretty much every other aspect of film making lol. Dune would be turned from a masterpiece into an hour and a half long run-through of the storyline with over the top visuals that would look like they belong in a video game.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I dunno dude, it's doubtful that a remake would be as good as the original. These days there's too much emphasis on CGI and big exciting action, and not enough on... well pretty much every other aspect of film making lol. Dune would be turned from a masterpiece into an hour and a half long run-through of the storyline with over the top visuals that would look like they belong in a video game.

Quote by freedoms_stain
They should have Scott Bakula in this, he's clever, and handsome and so fricken sensitive.

I would rather see this:

act than Scott Bakula. Well, I can't make him a scapegoat, but it's fair to say The cast of Enterprise, and the whole series in general turned me off Star Trek. I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt, and watch the Series Finale, and what do I find? A Fucking TNG episode.

And it didn't even have Patrick Stewart in.
Ahh...I can't wait for this film. If it isn't up to snuff with Nemesis or First Contact it's folly

And, I'm just expecting a cameo from Nick Frost.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
And, I'm just expecting a cameo from Nick Frost.
I bet he'll be wearing red, and we all know what that means
Quote by freedoms_stain
I bet he'll be wearing red, and we all know what that means

Every time I see/hear something related to the red shirts, I think of two things.

This:

And a story this chick told me. She was raised in a similar way I was, having sci-fi forced into our skulls at a very early age. She watched the original Star Trek so much with her dad that, when she realised every single red shirt was basically killed off each episode, she vowed to never wear a red shirt again, out of fear that she would be gunned down in the streets.

She said she did this for nearly seven years.

Saxo-Walrus

I really hope that this doesn't turn out to be like "Generations" or the movie equivalent of...
Dare I say it?
Enterprise.

It hurts to say that.

Anyways, Simon Pegg is awesome, and is a good sign in my opinion.

In fact, I don't think I've watched any of my original series episodes in a while, I'll watch some tomorrow when I get a chance. Need to brush up on my Trek.
Quote by fallenangel20
Well, Abrams also did Alias, so I take that as a positive when it comes to sci-fi.

I'm confident in his skills as a director in general.

Also, Leonard Nimoy has been very, positive with his outlook on the movie, and, with only a few minor grievances, has been behind Abrams 100%, as far as I can tell.

But, as you said, I'm saving all critical judgement for the release.

I wouldn't go that far. He's a hit producer like Judd Apatow, but whereas when Apatow directs, it usually works well, Abrams hasn't done anything too spectacular.

(For the record, Abrams' only major motion picture directing job thus far was the lackluster Mission Impossible III.)

As for the movie, I can't honestly say I've ever been a big Trek fan at all, but I do intend to see this, just to see how Abrams & Co. handle it.
Quote by TheMantipede
I really hope that this doesn't turn out to be like "Generations" or the movie equivalent of...
Dare I say it?
Enterprise.

It hurts to say that.

Anyways, Simon Pegg is awesome, and is a good sign in my opinion.

In fact, I don't think I've watched any of my original series episodes in a while, I'll watch some tomorrow when I get a chance. Need to brush up on my Trek.

I actually liked Generations. It had story elements and undertones that had some emotional substance, which was a part of Star Trek from the very first pilot that wasn't aired (The Cage).

And I just saw the latest preview of the new movie and I was actually a little disappointed. It looks like it borrowed some stuff from the recent fantasy movie craze (big monster) and it looks like it has a lot of Star Wars type CGI which I hated. It felt like I was watching a video game. Hopefully Star Trek isn't as bad. The new bridge looks awesome, though.

I'm just hoping that it will really FEEL like the Original Series.
We're only strays.
I'm stocked as ****
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown