ok here is the thing. i recently acquired a mesa dual rectifier as a present from my band mates. my first though was holy f***** s*** i don't have to drag my amps back and forth anymore woo hoo!.(yes im lazy ) anyway moving on. the current tubes in the mesa is the stock 6l6s. and no matter what i do i can't get that smooth distortion like the ones i get from my other amp. but it does have a huge oomph.

all i'm keep getting from the mesa is this crunch tone and if i put anymore gain on it it will turn fuzzy. btw i tried this on both channel 2 raw+modern and channel 3.

does anyone have any recommended settings they would like to share cause at this point i'm kinda of losing faith in the dual rectifier. my band mate has a road king and i know it has all the same basics but his amp just sounds immense.

p.s. is it normal to hear a loud pop sound when switching from channel 2 to channel 3? that never happens when i do 1-2 or 1-3.

sorry if my words doesn't seem to link together i just woke up 10 minutes ago and can't really think straight atm lol. thanks any tips would be appreciated
You could try an overdrive pedal with it (gain at 0, level at ~full). I think that might help. Did you try getting that tone while it was loud (band practice loud I mean)?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
How low in volume are you playing it at?

Most Rectos really need to be pretty high in volume to get anything good out of them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i was using the thd hotplate. and yeah i did blast it for a good 20 or so minute around 12 o clock before everyone arrived band rehearsal
I know a lot of guys don't like the raw/modern setting for metal. Remember that the Rectos have an active EQ, which means that everytime you move a knob on it, you have to move the others. They're very complicated amps and not something you're going to get used to quickly.

A lot of people hate them because of the sole purpose that they don't know how to use them and give up on them easily, thinking they sound bad. I'd suggest you go to Mesa's website or look in your manual and see what the settings they suggest are in there and tweak from that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't own one, but I've played them. I've noticed alot of people boost the Recs with an OD running in front of the amp. I'm sure if you were to boost it and fiddle with the settings you have a little, you could probably get the sound you're descibing.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I know a lot of guys don't like the raw/modern setting for metal. Remember that the Rectos have an active EQ, which means that everytime you move a knob on it, you have to move the others. They're very complicated amps and not something you're going to get used to quickly.

A lot of people hate them because of the sole purpose that they don't know how to use them and give up on them easily, thinking they sound bad. I'd suggest you go to Mesa's website or look in your manual and see what the settings they suggest are in there and tweak from that.

^ this is truth, You should be able to get nearly any tone out of that amp if you take the time to fiddle with it. Also the poping between channels is not normal, you may want to have that looked at.....It might be a tube issue, and that could be the reason why your having trouble with your tone as well. Just a thought
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
thanks alot. but i'm not gonna look into this matter today. you see. i just got my new strat shipped from japan woo hoo

Quote by Johnbryant
^ this is truth, You should be able to get nearly any tone out of that amp if you take the time to fiddle with it. Also the poping between channels is not normal, you may want to have that looked at.....It might be a tube issue, and that could be the reason why your having trouble with your tone as well. Just a thought

the band's tech took a good look at it and he didn't find any problems. and the poping only happens when going from 2-3 or 3-2.
Yeah, the popping sounds like it might be the tubes. You could try switching some of the tubes round into different sockets then see if it still happens. If it doesnt its the tubes.