i have been using an origional 5150 combo for about a yr. and havn't got the tone i want from it. i'm looking for a metal tone very similar to bullet for my valentine or all that remains. i bought this amp used from a guy who had it biased to EVH specs with jj's all around. i'm not a scientific guy, but i'm thinking that the bias mod this guy had done has something to do with it. does anybody know what EVH bias specs were and where i should have the bias set?
Quote by eudslack45!
i have been using an origional 5150 combo for about a yr. and havn't got the tone i want from it. i'm looking for a metal tone very similar to bullet for my valentine or all that remains. i bought this amp used from a guy who had it biased to EVH specs with jj's all around. i'm not a scientific guy, but i'm thinking that the bias mod this guy had done has something to do with it. does anybody know what EVH bias specs were and where i should have the bias set?

How loud do you play? Are we talking bedroom practice, because tube amps need to be cranked to get the true tone. An attenuator will be your best bet if that's the case.
Dosn't ATR use 5150's? They run a 5150 with a BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer in the loop as far as I know.
If you're playing at lower volumes then you're not going to get the same sound. Those amps don't sound great unless you really open em' up.
You'll need to crank it and use a Tubescreamer in front to get the BFMV tone; that's what they use.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i have a bbe sonic stomp in the fx loop. i do not have the tubescreamer.
i set the pre gain at about 6 and the post gain to about 2. it's pretty cranked. we usually play small gigs and at practice we just try to keep an equal volume with the drums (he plays really hard and loud).
how do most people use the tubescreamer? do they leave it on the whole time or do they use it only for leads??????
Quote by eudslack45!
i set the pre gain at about 6 and the post gain to about 2. it's pretty cranked. we usually play small gigs and at practice we just try to keep an equal volume with the drums (he plays really hard and loud).
how do most people use the tubescreamer? do they leave it on the whole time or do they use it only for leads??????

I'm not sure about most people but I know that Matt from BFMV leaves his on all the time. Or at least he used to; this was before the release of Scream Aim Fire.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Tube screamers are usually used for a clean boost (or kicking the front end of your amp hard).leaving the pedal on at all times
gain 0
level:max
tone: use to ear

If BFMV use a stock or non biased 5150 that might be the problem right there
Quote by eudslack45!

What are your settings like? If you don't have the presence between 8-10 you're not going to get the tone you're not going to get the tone you want. I'd suggest trying that out. My eq for my 6505 goes something like this.

Pregain - 7
Low - 7.5
Mid - 4
High - 5
Res - 6
Pres - 9.5
^ He should atleast give those settings a try. The 5150's EQ works a little differently then the 6505, but that may get you close enough so you can tweak it the rest of the way. The BBE Sonic Stomp you have may not give the same effect at the rack BBE's, the rack BBE's have a little more versatility. I'm sure you can get away with the Sonic Stomp though, so no worries there.

About the OD question you ask. As far as I know, just about everyone that uses them keeps them on. It gives you a boost, which drives the tubes much harder then the amp normally would on its own.

EDIT- Also, I wouldn't concentrate on copying somebody elses tone. You'd probably be much happier in the long run if you worked on making your own tone.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Sep 24, 2008,
The settings I gave are brighter with just enough gain to be brutal but not too much to where single notes sound grainy. I sweep some in my songs so I can't have too much gain or they just sound like crap.

EDIT: as far as the OD goes, I dunno if it's really necessary for gain purposes, there's plenty on tap on the amp. I would suggest using it as a boost.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by eudslack45!

a speaker swap might be an option to keep in mind too
thanx guys...u've been a huge help. i'll def. check those settings out. the settings i have right now are very close to those that u gave me.
as far as the o.d. goes...i'm def. gonna look into that. i currently have an eq (used for volume boost) and a compression pedal that i don't use. i'll probably sell those and get the ts-9.
5150's are pretty noisy (i use the low gain imput because of the noise in the high gain input) so would u guys sugest a ns-2??????? (matt tuck from bmfv uses 2 for some reason).
also...about the rack mount stuff. i eventually want to have all rack mount equipment except for effects. the only problem is...my budget doesn't allow it right now.
my current set up is...
schecter c-1 classic
5150 combo
shure wireless
bbe sonic stomp (fx loop)
boss tuner
digitech digidelay
Matt definetly use the + version of the 6505 (5150) and i'm pretty sure oli herbert from all that remains does too

A noise gate would definetly help to tighten your sound and cut noise/feedback. i recommend an ISP decimator, but i hear good things about the mxr smart gate too...

I also heard the same thing about Matt tuck leaving his tubescreamer on all the time to tighten his sound. Personally i'd use it for a lead boost rather than on rhythm playing

i do like a kinda weird low gain tone for rhythm though.
i know it sounds absurd, but it keeps every thing very clear then boost your gain for leads

use their tone for a kinda base idea, then work it into your own, definetly worth it!
sorry for my essay
Top lel.
BFMV actually use 6505+ heads
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by the memory
i said that

i cba reading everyone else posts lol
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
i knew they use 6505's and i also know that there are def. some differences in the origional 5150's and 6505's as well as the head vs. the combo. i currently use the rythym channel with the pre gain set at 6. it's just not quite enough in my opinion...thats y i really need the noise gate. there's just too much feedback without it. if i use the lead channel then i have the same problem. i want to be able to use the lead channel and set the gain wherever i want.
and i also follow u guys as far as a unique sound. i don't want an exact replica of their sound, but something simliar. just very "ballsy". when u hear it...it cuts through you. to me...it simply doesn't get any better...haha.
thanx again guys...please continue to post if u have any other thoughts/ideas. i love to hear opinions constructive criticism.
use the lead channel man, i'm sure all these bands use the lead channel

invest in the noise gate and take it from there
also......really don't over do the gain, especially on the lead channel, it absolutely kills the tone imo

a 5150/6505 is a good amp for cutting through in my experience because its very kinda mid based
Top lel.
Quote by eudslack45!
(matt tuck from bmfv uses 2 for some reason

He uses 2, one after the tubescreamer then one in FX loop so he has no buzz or hiss going in to the amp and none coming from the amp just incase you wondered why he used 2 :-)
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
i knew he used two, but was wondering where he put them.
so tell me what u think about this set up.
schecter c-1 classic-boss chromatic tuner-ts9-ns2-digidelay-5150 with ns2 and bbe sonic stomp in the fx loop.
+1 on speaker change, a very good option that a lot of people overlook. I'm considering it for my tube combo, it has a celestion 70/80 (pretty sure that's what it is) but I'm looking for something that will give me a little more warmth and clarity.
id take an ISP decimator over the boss NS2 any day!

the boss one IS cheaper though, but i hear its really not as good
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
id take an ISP decimator over the boss NS2 any day!

the boss one IS cheaper though, but i hear its really not as good

I've owned both and no longer have my NS-2. What does that tell you?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I've owned both and no longer have my NS-2. What does that tell you?

that teh ISP is godlike?

Top lel.
Quote by the memory
that teh ISP is godlike?

Damn right it is, wipes the floor with the NS-2 in every way. Although I've heard good things about the MXR Smart Gate as well; I went to see some local band not too long ago and their guitarist was using one and his rig was pretty silent in terms of noise.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
yeh in the shop i bought my ISP the guy was talking about the smart gate and said it was pretty decent!

im sold on the ISP though, its an awesome piece of kit and their artist roster is pretty awesome too
Top lel.