I think combo would be better. Heck, even a 1x12 Hit Rod Deluxe is loud for a small auditorium.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
There's not a whole lot of difference in volume between that combo and the half-stack, despite the 60w difference. There is, however, a difference in sound. Some say the combo is a little warmer. It definitely breaks up a little earlier.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
There's not a whole lot of difference in volume between that combo and the half-stack, despite the 60w difference. There is, however, a difference in sound. Some say the combo is a little warmer. It definitely breaks up a little earlier.

What do you mean by it "breaks up a little earlier?"
Tube saturation=the amp overdrives earlier.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Jestersage
I think combo would be better. Heck, even a 1x12 Hit Rod Deluxe is loud for a small auditorium.

Well...auditoriums are built for a small sound on stage to be carried through the rest of the room. Although +1, HRD's are loud little boogers.

I'm not a fan of the Valveking to be honest with you. If you're looking for a clean/classic rock tone, look into a Hot Rod Deluxe, used fender supersonic or similar, a Marshall clone, possibly a used Krank Chadwick (seen a few go for dirt cheap). Possibly a small Mesa F-30 or F-50 for about $500-$600.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Is it possible to get the head and get a 2x12 cab? Ive always liked that setup the best.
Ah, if youre focusing on metal, that changes my recommendations completely, well, except for the mesa part.

You can grab a Mesa Rectoverb for $1000 or so, also, possibly a stiletto ace, Mark III, Marshall JCM900, Line 6 HD-147 you can find these for about $700, the 5150 and 6505 are nice as well, maybe a XXX, or JSX.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio