My question is this,

I lightly release pressure when switching power chords so they are not fretted when I'm moving around but sometimes I notice that when playing certain things this will produce more string squeak noise than I find tolerable.

What seems to work is not releasing any pressure at all when switching power chords but keeping it fretted all the way. Again, only with certain things, mainly if whatever I'm playing is fairly fast. That way I don't hear the string squeak or the slide, just the chords.

But I'm not sure if this is bad technique or not? Any tips...hopefully I explained the situation well enough?
id try to stay away from that, just because it may become sloppy. you have the right idea releasing pressure, try muting it with your picking hand to stop string squeak when moving.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
id try to stay away from that, just because it may become sloppy. you have the right idea releasing pressure, try muting it with your picking hand to stop string squeak when moving.

Ok thanks for reply, seems slightly impractical to mute with picking hand between chord strums if its a fast paced riff though?

I've tried to slow my playing down to see what I'm doing and It seems I do always release pressure on chord shifts, I'm just noticing the squeak more a bit now. Maybe my strings need to be changed.

One other question, if I'm playing say a A power chord on the 6th string and a G power chord and I'm doing fast alternate picking, that'd be a case where I wouldn't release any pressure between the changes right?
Yeah, sometimes you slide and don't bother with the transitions. But I'd reccomend palm-muting when shifting. That way you can still pick fast.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
Yeah, sometimes you slide and don't bother with the transitions. But I'd reccomend palm-muting when shifting. That way you can still pick fast.

Thanks, sometimes it seems obvious to me when you can get away with not releasing pressure, but I'm teaching myself with no one to show me any pointers so I'm always concerned with technique issues.

I hate having to correct stuff later on. 95% of the time I release pressure when moving around but if its a really fast riff, like an A power chord to a G# power chord, I won't.
Those noises are called unforgivens. . . they happen on any guitar, but with guitars with cheaper pickups they tend to be more dominant. Like he said, mute the strings to try to cancel out the hum. . . . . are you rocking single coils or humbuckers and what model guitar?
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by notsee
Those noises are called unforgivens. . . they happen on any guitar, but with guitars with cheaper pickups they tend to be more dominant. Like he said, mute the strings to try to cancel out the hum. . . . . are you rocking single coils or humbuckers and what model guitar?

I've got dual hbers, Schecter C1 Exotic Star. The reason I've noticed it more lately is because my strings are dirty. Gotta change em'. I think that's a big part of it.

The only times I see muting between chord changes as nessescary would be on slower paced stuff where there is big spaces between the chords, right? Because doing that all the time seems really impractical.
Schecter's have pretty crappy wiring too. . . stock ways. . . . I used to get C 1+ for like 150$ through an endorsement deal one of my friends bands had. . . . but everytime I had a Schecter I had to rewire it because there were always wiring complications from the factory screwing up. (could possibly be another part to the problem)

Also, talk about dirty strings, mine were covered in a coat of rust so I cleaned new and for a day they wouldn't stay tuned right because they kept expanding more because they weren't used to not having rust all the way around hahaha. Don't have any fretboard cleaner right now so I'm just making these go the extra mile. Crappy Ernie Ball strings.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris