Well, as someone might have noted from one of my previous posts, i've ordered a valveking, and i've got AT LEAST another month before it will even begin to get here. Meanwhile, my local shop (back home, i'm about an hour and a half away in college) just got a Vypyr in stock. Now, the owner of the shop (who is freaking amazing at guitar) says that this amp is pretty amazing and that i should try it out and consider getting it over the VK.

anyone who has tried this amp, does that sound right? is it really that good? I'm looking mainly for great cleans and a thick overdrive. I might do some metal stuff (think Fireflight, Flyleaf sorta stuff), but probably not.

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
where the hell are you getting the VK from? pakistan?
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
ive been let down by modelling technology a lot in the past, and for that reason alone i'd reccomend the valveking
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by RCA1186
where the hell are you getting the VK from? pakistan?

lol

nah, peavey is evidently doing a massive re-haul of their computer/sales system sooooo they are teh suxor in terms of delivery time right now.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by badgerific
Go try a vypyr and decide for yourself?

.....thats wat i'm doing?? i wanted to get some opinions now, though, and i can't exactly randomly leave campus with hw and everything
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i've played the 75w ss version, I liked it, but i still would prefer something not modeling. The Vypyr sounds very good, 100% better than the Cubes, Spiders, and MGs though.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
i've played the 75w ss version, I liked it, but i still would prefer something not modeling. The Vypyr sounds very good, 100% better than the Cubes, Spiders, and MGs though.

how do u think it would stand against a lower-end tube amp?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
IMO the VK isnt a low end tube amp, its a ... mid end tube amp. lol.

Its all personal preference, i can't tell you which one is better. All i can say is the Vypyr is LOUD, very versatile, and has a billion effects.

You could play it and say it sucks, i say its great, but like i said, its all preference and i would much rather have a VK. Also it depends on if versatility is a big part of your playing.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I like the Vypyr. It actually does the amp models a lot better than other modelling amps and doesn't sound as sterile or digital either.
Quote by bjovi400
IMO the VK isnt a low end tube amp, its a ... mid end tube amp. lol.

Its all personal preference, i can't tell you which one is better. All i can say is the Vypyr is LOUD, very versatile, and has a billion effects.

You could play it and say it sucks, i say its great, but like i said, its all preference and i would much rather have a VK. Also it depends on if versatility is a big part of your playing.

alright, thanks!

yea, ive got a Boss ME-50 if i need effects so that isn't too big an issue, but i'm going to go try it out on saturday, so i'll find out then
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Maybe you should try out the Vypyr 60? it has a tube poweramp, which is..er...good.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
In that price range you should also try a windsor head before you decide.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
A valveking vs a vypyr?? Say HuH? you're comparing a cheap tube amp to the best bedroom modeler around right now. This totally confuses me. I'm just gonna recommend the vypyr and leave it at that...
Quote by TheEsupremacy
A valveking vs a vypyr?? Say HuH? you're comparing a cheap tube amp to the best bedroom modeler around right now. This totally confuses me. I'm just gonna recommend the vypyr and leave it at that...

but can it rock some tube cleans? and can it gig (aka play loud) and sound good?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
but can it rock some tube cleans? and can it gig (aka play loud) and sound good?

You'd be amazed. I definately recommend you play one. It will shut the Valveking idea right down. For the record, I'd get a Bugera before a Valveking.
I think you need to try them out yourself.

The Vypyrs are new and are solid state. I hear they are very good at what they do. Don't know about gigging yet as I'm sure who has gigged with one yet. The hybrid versions (60 and 120) have not hit the streets yet but may be worth a look. Good for USB updates, practicing, built in effects, tuner - not sure on which features come with each off top of my head.

The Valveking is decent all tube amp that offers lots of features at a low cost. Stock speaker is not the greatest but passable. It is def gig worthy as we have lots of UG'rs that do. OD and other pedals would be necessary to take it beyond Blues, Rock and Thrash.

Bugera's (as another option) get a lot of praise but I don't know if I personally would get one over a Valveking. That is debateable. They are relatively new as well. Valveking too really.

There is a all Vypyr Thread, Valveking Thread and Bugera Thread that are worth looking at as well. Search Bar on these will reveal answers as well. They all have recent postings but if you can't find them let us know.

Either way, these two amps are different in what they do so a lot of it depends on you. Don't forget about the used market. Great deals out there for gear that is tried and true.