ok so i want to use the basic box of my old 15w MG and then put in a home-made amp thing. i've read in various places that amps can b leathal cos of built up voltages or sumthing. just like 2 no things that i could do that would mean i dont kill myself in the process that dont involve anything 2 complicated.

1) dont say "dont do it" thats just not helpful!

2) dont say "take it 2 a professional" cos thats nt possible where i live unfortunately. ]

so yeah any help on keeping me alive would much appreciated
Solid state amps hold very little charge in comparison to tube amps as they're more efficient. Nothing should happen.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Much safer to take it apart than it is to actually listen to it.

after you unplug it, clear the current by turning the power switch on and then off. and make sure you touch something metal before you touch any internal components to discharge static electricity.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Much safer to take it apart than it is to actually listen to it.

after you unplug it, clear the current by turning the power switch on and then off. and make sure you touch something metal before you touch any internal components to discharge static electricity.

+1
It's very important to properly power it down, because if you don't - very bad thing happen.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by theoreticmusic

Right, but turning the power switch off cuts the Live mains connection (or both the Live and Neutral mains wires in some amps) right before the fuse (which is before anything else, including the PT), so turning it off is just like unplugging it.

For safety reasons, I always just turn it on, then unplug it while it's still on to drain all charge, even though it's just like flipping off the power switch.

Quote by fantasyh
It's very important to properly power it down, because if you don't - very bad thing happen.

Actually for SS amps, the worst that can happen is getting bit by the filter caps that come right after the recto.

[/nit-pick]
Last edited by Invader Jim at Sep 24, 2008,
Here's the best thing to do, when you have it open, look for anything that's shaped like a can (capacitors), and stay the eff away from that.

Generally speaking, unplug it for a few days, then crack her open, and you'll be fine.

You could probably tear into it right after you unplugged it and still be safe, but you get one life, why risk it?
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free