Hello,

I'm learning to play "No Such Thing" by John Mayer on my acoustic guitar and had a question about the strumming pattern. So far I have the intro down and I'm trying to play the first verse. The problem is I'm using the same strumming pattern for the verse that I used in the intro and it just doesn't sound right. I won't see my instructor again for another five days. Could some one write out the strumming pattern? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
you have to date supermodels and actresses to play like john mayer.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It doesn't matter how you strum. Just play the chords when he plays them. Who cares how he strummed?

well BGC, obviously the TS cares or he wouldn't be asking
to the TS: first i'm not personally aware of the song so i can't write it out. but i would recommend that making sure you can make the chord changes easily and once you can do that sit down and really listen to the song, tap your foot and see where the strums fall. try to mimic it (like air guitar) first and then try to play along with the recording once you feel comfortable with it.
^ but.... but.... but..... that destroys the economy of motion!

edit: i forgot to mention downstrokes tend accent a note/chord hit, more than an upstroke.
Last edited by z4twenny at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by z4twenny
^ but.... but.... but..... that destroys the economy of motion!

edit: i forgot to mention downstrokes tend accent a note/chord hit, more than an upstroke.
I'm going to give a non-sarcastic answer that doesn't involve my sig: very rare.

TS, you'll want to play constant 16th notes. However, you don't hit the string every time. Hit the strings when he does, and the rest of the time, play phantom strums; move your pick across the strings but don't pluck any of them. Once you've established the strumming pattern, you can omit the phantom strums.
Quote by z4twenny
well BGC, obviously the TS cares or he wouldn't be asking
to the TS: first i'm not personally aware of the song so i can't write it out. but i would recommend that making sure you can make the chord changes easily and once you can do that sit down and really listen to the song, tap your foot and see where the strums fall. try to mimic it (like air guitar) first and then try to play along with the recording once you feel comfortable with it.

+1.

Just keep on listening to it and tapping your feet and focus on the rhythm. It may take some time (I know, I've been here ) but you'll get it in the end . Good luck.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Thanks for the advice! I tried figuring it out last night but I don't think I have an ear for it yet. I've only been playing for 2 months but I'll try your air guitar idea when I get home.