Ive just joined a new band ( thank god! ) and i need a whole new rig. Currently i have a marhall AVT100, Epiphone Les Paul special, Line 6 pod XT Live. - Yes i got them 3 years back when i had no idea about guitar gear just went cos it was a marshall and a les paul the usual mistake.

Im looking for a old classic rock crunch tone like the old plexis, superleads, jcm800's, JTM45'S, you know the sorta thing.

I have been looking at a 1987x - but i would get it modded for a half power switch or get one of these palmer PDI03 things, don't know much about them but the allow you to crank up your amp without blowing your ears with no tone loss.

Ive also been looking at the marshall vintage modern and JVM as they seem quite classicy.

Any oher ideas for amps tryed orange but isnt quite the sound im after.

I did have one other idea of using my pod xt live then getting a marshall EL34 50/50 power amp then put that staright into the cab? any good so it would thenalmost be like a rack set up?

Thanks for any help given
i gigged with a guy who had a vintage modern halfstack, i though for the type of sound you want, which is what he wanted too, it was great!
Nice saturation, very tight, and quite bright, so perfect for you i'd of thought.
The VM's are one of the cheaper of the good marshalls too, unless its different in the US.
But of course, go play on one, perhaps some of the other marshalls, and laney if you can.
What kind of price range are we talking here. I'd say you could get at least $450 out of the POD and AVT100, unless it's the stack, then maybe $550.

I would check out Harmony Central for some Marshalls, I believe I seen a Cameron modded one floating around, and there are quite a few FJA modded Marshalls. You can find some great deals over there. If you can't find a modded head, I'd settle for any of those marshalls listed, include the superbass as well . Then shoot for a good overdrive, then I'd consider getting it modded and whatnot.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Well as you knwo, the 1987x is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY LOUD. A half power doens't do much.

Check out an 18watter, PERFECT for that. Jsut look at my video and tell me it doesn't do that classic rock and lbues tone great!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
If it's power you're worried about try some of the 18 watt marshalls/plexi clones. They have the same 'Marshall' tone but at bedroom levels!
^Not at bedroom, but at humane levels. They are still rather loud.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Well think liek this. An 1987x will blow your head. The 18watter will jsut blow your ears!

Nit but a TMB with a PPIMV would work ok!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band