Would playing bass on your own be taking away a lot of the point of the bass (In other words would it be pointless to play bass on my own?)
Playing an instrument always has a point.
Quote by Jimmy94

"I like dark jazz like OPETH"
"you should listen to BETWEEN THE BURIED IN ME"
"that is not real jazz"
"LOL R U KIDDING ME HNNNNGGGG"
It does sort of suck playing bass on your own, but if you enjoy it then it's not pointless right?
No more than any other instrument. Seriously, what kind of question is that?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Victor Wooten

/Thread
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Roots_radical
It does sort of suck playing bass on your own, but if you enjoy it then it's not pointless right?

I love playing bass on my own. Gives me room to experiment.
Quote by Jimmy94

"I like dark jazz like OPETH"
"you should listen to BETWEEN THE BURIED IN ME"
"that is not real jazz"
"LOL R U KIDDING ME HNNNNGGGG"
Quote by strat0blaster
Victor Wooten

/Thread

+ Infinity

And while you're at it, listen to Marcus Miller and Stanley Clarke too. You'll learn to appreciate the bass
Quote by strat0blaster
Victor Wooten

/Thread

You know who punches him onto the ground, kicks him in the face repeatedly and stamps on his fingers when he begs for forgiveness and a quick death?

Jean Baudin.

His solo stuff supasses Wooten by far.

http://www.myspace.com/jeanbaudin

All done with one bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Sid McCall
No more than any other instrument. Seriously, what kind of question is that?
Yeah exactly.
Quote by strat0blaster
Victor Wooten

/Thread

Most of victor Wootens work is with his band
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Nutter_101
You know who punches him onto the ground, kicks him in the face repeatedly and stamps on his fingers when he begs for forgiveness and a quick death?

Jean Baudin.

His solo stuff supasses Wooten by far.

http://www.myspace.com/jeanbaudin

All done with one bass.

And in that vein: Yves Carbonne and Michael Mannring. All three are complete geniuses and I rate them far higher than Wooten for pure musicality and ability to compose a listenable tune.
This thread is pointless. If you play in a band, playing by yourself is called practicing. If you play solo, playing by yourself is either practicing or performing. If you don't perform, playing by yourself is called a hobby. End of.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
^ what he said

I love playing on my own, you can **** up as much as you want and it doesn't matter

But seriously, playing alone helps you develop your own style, musical ear and tone, s'all good
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Death from above 1979 for the win.
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And in that vein: Yves Carbonne and Michael Mannring. All three are complete geniuses and I rate them far higher than Wooten for pure musicality and ability to compose a listenable tune.

Personally, I like Wooten in a band scenario, but am not too keen on him as a soloist. He um...tends to "over perform" too much.

Mannring, who I've seen live, is a stellar example of the solo bass player. Give the man a looper and he's off and running. And Stuart Hamm can stand on a stage with just him and his bass and hold his own perfectly. (I find Hamm's recorded output a bit more accessible than Mannring's myself).

Bass is what you make it--and as you evolve, so will your playing. You want to be a solo player go for it. You want to lay down the foundation for your band mates, so be it. You want to do both--its all good.

And DFA is not a solo act, Sebastien Grainger is also there on vocals and drums.