So what's this I hear about humbuckers that are the size of Single coils?

I'm really looking for something that I can through into my strat immitations (immitations of an HSS strat) and then when I get the cash through it in to my Mustang.

Anything SD JB-ish?

will be looking for both bridge and neck pickups.
Seymour Duncan makes a "JB junior" I believe, which fits in most strat style guitars.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by Dopey_Trout

the JB looks cute, how much does it go for?

would the '59 work well in the neck for punk?

EDIT : would they work in a mustang|?
Why don't you just e-mail Fender's website and ask them... i'm PRETTY sure they'd know, haha.
O O

___
Quote by forsaknazrael
Man, one of those would be BRIGHT in a Mustang. Yeck.

Since I don't see specialized single coils for a Mustang at SeymourDuncan.com, I'd say they fit. I'm not 100% sure, though, I'd have to get back to you.

I'm pretty sure it would just be a higher output of what's already in there, cause the mustang is pretty bright with it's stock pickups.
The JB sounds very different than single coils. I dunno, the JB Junior is going to fatter than your stock singles, because it's a humbucker, but that doesn't make it a good choice. The JB is already a trebley pickup, IMO, and can sound thin in the wrong guitars. Additionally, single coil-sized humbuckers sound thinner than their full sized counterparts.

What are you trying to achieve with this pickup swap?
Quote by forsaknazrael
The JB sounds very different than single coils. I dunno, the JB Junior is going to fatter than your stock singles, because it's a humbucker, but that doesn't make it a good choice. The JB is already a trebley pickup, IMO, and can sound thin in the wrong guitars. Additionally, single coil-sized humbuckers sound thinner than their full sized counterparts.

What are you trying to achieve with this pickup swap?

aside from a more Cobain like tone, I really like the mustang but it sounds a little bit thin, so making the sounds a little fatter...
plus I like these demos I saw with a JB in a mustang. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJO51eTiPoA&feature=related (demo with distortion, I'm pretty sure the camera made it sound worse than it really is cause the clean demo sounds awesome....some cameras just can't handle distortion well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHpdswcwEM&feature=user

I am absolutely in love with that tone....my favourite clean tone.
Well, weren't you looking to put a full sized humbucker in there?

And you're going to need more than a humbucker for Cobain tone.
He was running a Mesa Boogie Studio .22 preamp into a Crest 4801 power amp. That's going to matter a lot more than your pickups. He often used a Proco Rat or a Boss DS-2 for his distortion.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, weren't you looking to put a full sized humbucker in there?

And you're going to need more than a humbucker for Cobain tone.
He was running a Mesa Boogie Studio .22 preamp into a Crest 4801 power amp. That's going to matter a lot more than your pickups. He often used a Proco Rat or a Boss DS-2 for his distortion.

was that live? cause his live tone wasn't nearly as good as his studio tone alot of the time (dunno what the difference was), I already have a DS-1 which sounds pretty good to me, and I am getting a DS-2 this weekend I think

I think for studio recording he used his fender reverb which I am probably not gonna get (even though it sounds ****ing awesome) for a little while.. Not till next fall atleast..

I really don't wanna pay for re-routing the whole mustang for a humbucker, I'm confident enough that the that JB will do good enough till I got other things I need, then when I save up for the reverb + the custom guitar I wanna make I'll probably like what my tone is more than I like Cobains.

I wanna have something like Kurt Cobain cleans, and be able to get something like a Greg Ginn (black flag) distortion....or a Steve Turner (mudhoney) distortion.

but for cleans I really wanna have something similar to Cobain.
His live tone probably wasn't as good as his studio tone because he's a terrible guitar player.

The DS-1 sounds horrible. Fizzy, just garbage distortion....IMO...

Have you checked underneath the pickguard? It may already be routed for a humbucker...

TBH, Cobain's cleans were not all that great...He spiced it up with some chorus....but they're not really that good. Bseides, two things:
1 - Your cleans are way more dependent on your amp.
2 - Why the hell would you use your bridge pickup for cleans? Sounds thin, just awful. I use my neck pickup.
Quote by forsaknazrael
His live tone probably wasn't as good as his studio tone because he's a terrible guitar player.

The DS-1 sounds horrible. Fizzy, just garbage distortion....IMO...

Have you checked underneath the pickguard? It may already be routed for a humbucker...

TBH, Cobain's cleans were not all that great...He spiced it up with some chorus....but they're not really that good. Bseides, two things:
1 - Your cleans are way more dependent on your amp.
2 - Why the hell would you use your bridge pickup for cleans? Sounds thin, just awful. I use my neck pickup.

Meh, Cobain wasn't as bad as everyone says, + he was a great songwriter.....He was really just too high for his own good....not everyone is a Jimi Hendrix and can play really well when on smack.... I have friends that were taking heroin for a while and apparently you don't even feel like moving while high.

and I know about the chorus pedal, I'm gonna get a Small Clone pretty soon.

I don't own the mustang yet, so I can't really check under the pickguard, but I doubt it is.

and Ska really sounds best (imo) with the bridge pickup, as well as many of my own prog-punk / grunge songs. but I do prefer the neck pickup for some of my softer songs that don't really get punk-ish.
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Sep 25, 2008,
Quote by Swap-Meet
Meh, Cobain wasn't as bad as everyone says, + he was a great songwriter.....He was really just too high for his own good....not everyone is a Jimi Hendrix and can play really well when on smack.... I have friends that were taking heroin for a while and apparently you don't even feel like moving while high.

No, he is as bad as everyone says he is. That's why Nirvana's songs are so simple. It doesn't make him a bad songwriter - it's just an element of the raw rock that he represented. Nirvana's rise to popularity was the second coming of punk, it was something that people wanted to hear after all the technical stuff brought on by Thrash metal and shred.

Quote by Swap-Meet
I don't own the mustang yet, so I can't really check under the pickguard, but I doubt it is.

..Why are you worrying about pickups now? You don't have your ideal amp yet, you don't even own the guitar yet? Just wait. You're planning too far ahead, when you're not even sure what it is you need.

Quote by Swap-Meet
and Ska really sounds best (imo) with the bridge pickup, as well as many of my own prog-punk / grunge songs. but I do prefer the neck pickup for some of my softer songs that don't really get punk-ish.

For cleans the neck pickup always sounds the most full. It sounds thin and too trebley on the bridge pickup, for cleans. For distortion and rhythm work, bridge does sound best.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, he is as bad as everyone says he is. That's why Nirvana's songs are so simple. It doesn't make him a bad songwriter - it's just an element of the raw rock that he represented. Nirvana's rise to popularity was the second coming of punk, it was something that people wanted to hear after all the technical stuff brought on by Thrash metal and shred.

..Why are you worrying about pickups now? You don't have your ideal amp yet, you don't even own the guitar yet? Just wait. You're planning too far ahead, when you're not even sure what it is you need.

For cleans the neck pickup always sounds the most full. It sounds thin and too trebley on the bridge pickup, for cleans. For distortion and rhythm work, bridge does sound best.

Nirvana = 3rd coming of punk, hardcore was the 2nd...it just wasn't popular....I'm not talking As I lay Dying shit hardcore, I'm talking black flag, negative approach, etc..

I'm worrying about pickups cause when I buy my guitar I'm gonna buy everything in one shot probably.

Meh, I prefer the bridge for alot of my stuff.
Quote by Swap-Meet

I'm worrying about pickups cause when I buy my guitar I'm gonna buy everything in one shot probably.

Meh, I prefer the bridge for alot of my stuff.

But there's no point in you buying a pickup if you don't even know how you want to change your sound. You could buy the pickup now and end up hating the sound it makes and loving the pickup that came in the guitar when you got it. It won't hurt you to wait a bit, but it could if you jump too far ahead.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
But there's no point in you buying a pickup if you don't even know how you want to change your sound. You could buy the pickup now and end up hating the sound it makes and loving the pickup that came in the guitar when you got it. It won't hurt you to wait a bit, but it could if you jump too far ahead.

I've played the guitar quite a bit to know what I want to do to it. It can't be that much different sounding than the standard humbucker?
Quote by Swap-Meet
Nirvana = 3rd coming of punk, hardcore was the 2nd...it just wasn't popular....I'm not talking As I lay Dying shit hardcore, I'm talking black flag, negative approach, etc..

I know what hardcore is. It's not in the same spirit and philosophy of the original punk movement. Punk was originally embraced because it mean you didn't have have to play all technically to be able to make music. It was a throwback back to the raw energy of rock and roll.
Hardcore was in some ways, just as technical as the metal it evolved in the same time period as. In fact, Hardcore influenced thrash metal, and was also in turn influenced by metal. It's very different from the original punk movement, in terms of music and construction.

Quote by Swap-Meet

Pickup swaps aren't for straight up improving your tone. They're for tweaking your tone. You don't have ideal guitar or amp - how can you know how your tone needs to be tweaked? You don't even know how it is lacking yet.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I know what hardcore is. It's not in the same spirit and philosophy of the original punk movement. Punk was originally embraced because it mean you didn't have have to play all technically to be able to make music. It was a throwback back to the raw energy of rock and roll.
Hardcore was in some ways, just as technical as the metal it evolved in the same time period as. In fact, Hardcore influenced thrash metal, and was also in turn influenced by metal. It's very different from the original punk movement, in terms of music and construction.

Pickup swaps aren't for straight up improving your tone. They're for tweaking your tone. You don't have ideal guitar or amp - how can you know how your tone needs to be tweaked? You don't even know how it is lacking yet.

Hardcore isn't really technical, 80's HC did have the same mentality as mid - late 70's punk.. watch american hardcore (the movie) and you'll see what i mean..

I've played it through many different amps (including a fender twin reverb) , and I like it, but I think the humbucker would do it good.

Quote by ze monsta
Apparently Cobain never used the neck pickup.

I know he didn't play the neck pickup on his jag....dunno about the mustang, and I don't really care if he used it or not, I like the neck pickup...but I just don't use the neck pickup much (on any guitar i own)
Quote by Swap-Meet
Hardcore isn't really technical, 80's HC did have the same mentality as mid - late 70's punk.. watch american hardcore (the movie) and you'll see what i mean..

Are you really going to reference something as commercial as a movie for punk?

And Hardcore is pretty technical. Try saying it's technical any of the drummers. I guarantee you'll lose a tooth.

And it didn't have the same mentality. For one, It got complex - which is the antithesis of the original punk movement.

And I'm not saying a humbucker won't do it good...I'm just saying, wait until you have everything to decide what is lacking. Everything with YOUR setup. Take some time to get to know your gear, then decide what is lacking.
^I certainly wouldn't call Minor Threat complex. Not all hardcore is metal-influenced. The metal influence wasn't very prominent until the late '80s.

Swap-Meet, why do you keep calling grunge progressive punk?

Sorry, I can't contribute to the original question.
I'd say the fact that is was already much faster than the first punk movement makes it more complex. And I'd say their arrangements are much more complex than say, the Ramones or the Sex Pistols, etc. etc...
And if you don't think that heavier distortion and heavier drum beats weren't something they picked up from metal...
Quote by forsaknazrael
Are you really going to reference something as commercial as a movie for punk?

And Hardcore is pretty technical. Try saying it's technical any of the drummers. I guarantee you'll lose a tooth.

And it didn't have the same mentality. For one, It got complex - which is the antithesis of the original punk movement.

And I'm not saying a humbucker won't do it good...I'm just saying, wait until you have everything to decide what is lacking. Everything with YOUR setup. Take some time to get to know your gear, then decide what is lacking.

uhhh....that documentary is really good, and considering it interviews all the bigger bands that were part of the hardcore movement yeah I am going to reference it... It's really not that complex...it really couldn't be considering alot of the songs were not even 1 and a half minutes....

do you even listen to hardcore?
Yeah, I do, among lots of other things. Mostly modern hardcore. Listen, just because a song is fast and short doesn't make it simple. I'm telling you, try and tell one their drummers that he's playing a simple beat. He'll disagree.

And I haven't seen the movie, just making a snide remark about how "punk" a punk documentary is. Probably unjustified.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah, I do, among lots of other things. Mostly modern hardcore. Listen, just because a song is fast and short doesn't make it simple. I'm telling you, try and tell one their drummers that he's playing a simple beat. He'll disagree.

And I haven't seen the movie, just making a snide remark about it. Probably unjustified.

Modern Hardcore isn't punk at all...I really will never understand why they're called hardcore when Hardcore stands for Hardcore punk... 80's HC drummers aren't really playing anything complex.. and there is still lots of hi-hat with snare typical punk beats in it...

anyways thanks for your help about the gear...I don't wanna just sit around and argue with you all night..
Who's arguing? I was under the impression this was a friendly discussion.

Anyway, if you really want to hear about my thoughts on punk, I'll say this: The punk movement was doomed the moment it started. Everything after those first few years stopped really being "punk". Feel free to use the profile system..