I've raised my budget for a new amp(again) to around $1,000 give or take a couple hundred.
I play death metal pretty much. I want a thick yet tight rythym tone and a really smooth, kind of warm lead tone. A decent clean would definitely be appreciated. I don't gig now, but i want to be ready too. Still i would like an amp that sounds good at low volumes. This is a really big factor for me! One EQ is fine, but the more the better.
I've looked into a rack set up, but I don't really know if i want one.

I have a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cab by the way.

Some amps I'm looking at(all used of course):
1. Laboga Mr. Hector
2. Engl Blackmore
3. Engl Powerball
4. Engl E530 Preamp w/ VHT 2150
5. Randall RM50/100 w/ XTC, Ultra, and Deluxe mods
6. VHT 50/CL
7. VHT Deliverance

So I'd love some feedback on any of these amps and which ones you feel are best for me.
New suggestions welcome too!
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
I'm gonna try to try out some VHT's this friday, so I'll let you know what I think if I do.
Quote by imgooley
I'm gonna try to try out some VHT's this friday, so I'll let you know what I think if I do.

Awesome, try out some br00talz for me! I also would like to know how clear and smooth it is for leads, i want a really smooth clear lead tone.
but i also really want to hear about the cleans and mid gain tones too!
Run a full test

Much appreciated.

Mesas are a little too loose for my tastes, but this weekend i might go to guitar center and try some out with an eq and an OD.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by TheEsupremacy
How is a 6505 NOT on your shortlist?

He has a 5150
Quote by TheEsupremacy
How is a 6505 NOT on your shortlist?
Probably because it's WAAAY too middy.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by DDoug
Probably because it's WAAAY too middy.

That's easily fixed, you have to scoop the mids on them a little. I get an amazing tone out of mine. It's ballsy as hell, turned up it could break someones face.
That Laboga looks nice... Jeff waters uses those and I LOVE his tone.

Vht delievarences are a love/hate thing from what I know.
Mesa Rectalfrier! maybe a used Mesa Mark 4, sounds like something you'd like, good smooth leads and chunky rhythm tones.
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Sep 24, 2008,
the problem with mesas (at least the rectifier) is that they doesn't sound very good at low volumes.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Out of all the amps I've tried out I liked the Randall RM100 and Engl Powerball the most. They are by far the most versatile amps out right now. Prior to having tried those out I liked the JSX alo,t but after having expanded my horizons I can honestly the Randall and the Engl are by far the best. I noticed, however, that you are interested in the one that includes the XTC module. From experience, I can honestly say that it didn't have enough gain so I suggest you but the Ultra XL module if you really want that extra boost.
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
I've raised my budget for a new amp(again) to around $1,000 give or take a couple hundred.
I play death metal pretty much. I want a thick yet tight rythym tone and a really smooth, kind of warm lead tone. A decent clean would definitely be appreciated. I don't gig now, but i want to be ready too. Still i would like an amp that sounds good at low volumes. This is a really big factor for me! One EQ is fine, but the more the better.
I've looked into a rack set up, but I don't really know if i want one.

I have a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 cab by the way.

Some amps I'm looking at(all used of course):
1. Laboga Mr. Hector
2. Engl Blackmore
3. Engl Powerball
4. Engl E530 Preamp w/ VHT 2150
5. Randall RM50/100 w/ XTC, Ultra, and Deluxe mods
6. VHT 50/CL
7. VHT Deliverance

So I'd love some feedback on any of these amps and which ones you feel are best for me.
New suggestions welcome too!

you basically described the engl 530 rhythm/lead tone...so that would not be a bad choice >_> although i may be a bit biased since i actually use it to get the tone you described lol
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
You own a 5150 combo and your not satisfyed with your metal tone?!?!?
Try switching out the speakers and tubes if you havent and that should get you anything In my personal opinion.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']You own a 5150 combo and your not satisfyed with your metal tone?!?!?
Try switching out the speakers and tubes if you havent and that should get you anything In my personal opinion.
uhh..because a 5150 doesnt get every metal tone?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121

Man's gotta point. I love mine for what I play, but if I'd prob look towards an ENGL for a death metal tone.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']You own a 5150 combo and your not satisfyed with your metal tone?!?!?
Already been done. new tubes, i play it through the genz benz
First of all, the 5150 is a bitch to haul anywhere.
It's too damn loud to get a tone i'm satisfied with at low volumes.
It's not very versatile at all, i'd like a better clean that doesn't break up so easy. The crunch tones on it are pretty good, but i rarely use crunch.
Plus even when it is cranked, its way too raw and grainy for my taste, also the lead tones leave something to be desired.
I want something more smooth and refined, but still with a killer br00tal rythym tone.

Yeah i remembered you talking about the e530, the clips i've heard sound awesome.
I'm just trying to find a good power amp on eBay. I've seen a couple 2150's but they weigh 66lbs and are soo loud. Would i have to crank the 2150 a lot to get the best sound out of the Engl?

I want more opinions on the Pittbull 50/Cl, some clips I've heard are killer!
I've heard the Laboga and it just seems like a more expensive 5150. Sounds pretty sick, but not what i'm looking for.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
It's not very versatile at all, i'd like a better clean that doesn't break up so easy. The crunch tones on it are pretty good, but i rarely use crunch.
Plus even when it is cranked, its way too raw and grainy for my taste, also the lead tones leave something to be desired.
I want something more smooth and refined, but still with a killer br00tal rythym tone.
QUOTE]
Hmm...
Well i think youd like a Mesa Mark IV
I would look into that.
heres an ebay one going for around 900$
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IV-Short-Combo-EV-Speaker-Flight-Case_W0QQitemZ260291075306QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260291075306&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ebayphotohosting
Quote by kayman121

Proabaly the combo doesn't get a very good metal tone, they're never as good as the heads.

If you can find a used 5150 or the new version (6505) you should be able to get great metal sound right outta the box!!
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
Quote by axe_2_grind
Proabaly the combo doesn't get a very good metal tone, they're never as good as the heads.

If you can find a used 5150 or the new version (6505) you should be able to get great metal sound right outta the box!!

I'm still considering that, but I'd probably shoot for the modded one on the FJA mods website, sounds great for $1,2000.

I still feel like i could get something better than a 5150/6505, so lets just forget about those guys!
There are plenty of better metal amps for me out there

I still just don't know which to choose, kinda leaning towards either the VHT Pitbull, Engl E530 or the Powerball for versatility. But theres just something about the Blackmore tone that captivates me.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx

Yeah i remembered you talking about the e530, the clips i've heard sound awesome.
I'm just trying to find a good power amp on eBay. I've seen a couple 2150's but they weigh 66lbs and are soo loud. Would i have to crank the 2150 a lot to get the best sound out of the Engl?

I want more opinions on the Pittbull 50/Cl, some clips I've heard are killer!
I've heard the Laboga and it just seems like a more expensive 5150. Sounds pretty sick, but not what i'm looking for.

ive found one cool trick with rack systems at low levels is turning up the power amp and turning down the preamp master. you might have to eq it a bit cuz sometimes the low end could flab on some rigs (though rarely with the e530, it's very very tight)...it sounds pretty damn good, although if you're going for a not-so-smooth tone..it may take some extra EQing to get there, as turning up the preamp will tend to make your tone hella smoother (which i like, on top of godly amounts of crunch ) in short, the e530 is the shit for death metal...on top of pretty much any other type of modern metal.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
ive found one cool trick with rack systems at low levels is turning up the power amp and turning down the preamp master. you might have to eq it a bit cuz sometimes the low end could flab on some rigs (though rarely with the e530, it's very very tight)...it sounds pretty damn good, although if you're going for a not-so-smooth tone..it may take some extra EQing to get there, as turning up the preamp will tend to make your tone hella smoother (which i like, on top of godly amounts of crunch ) in short, the e530 is the shit for death metal...on top of pretty much any other type of modern metal.

I'd definitely prefer an overall smooth tone, with just a little bite.
I have to admit the clips of the Engl sound great. I just have to convince myself it is that good for only $600.
I found one used for $450 too!

Mainly i've narrowed it down to 3 Engls

PBall
Blackmore
E530

Now to search for deals and sell my damn 5150!
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
I'd definitely prefer an overall smooth tone, with just a little bite.
I have to admit the clips of the Engl sound great. I just have to convince myself it is that good for only $600.
I found one used for $450 too!

Mainly i've narrowed it down to 3 Engls

PBall
Blackmore
E530

Now to search for deals and sell my damn 5150!

Haha, only is a relative term. One reason I think it's priced so low is a) channels b) features (midi compatibility) c) strikes me as being more effective in studio than live, but you can work around that easily depending on the rest of your rig. Engl certainly did not gimp the preamp out on tone, that's for sure. Also, smooth with bite is what that preamp does best, in my opinion. So i guess it really depends on what you'd be using it for.

I've heard the Powerball sounds rather stale and lifeless at high gain settings, very processed. Haven't tried one myself, that's word on the street though apparently. Have not heard much on the blackmore, though
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
How much are you selling the 5150 for?
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Engl E530 Preamp.
VHT Two/Fifty/Two or Two/Ninety/Two Poweramp.

Heard somebody else with a simular setup and it did metal pretty good. Pretty sure that preamp wont due you death metal though, I think theres another preamp (E570?) that does the Bro0tz pretty good but it's alot more expensive I believe.

VHT's are one those amps where either you like it, or you don't. They're very tight, but I find them to be a bit to dry sounding.

The Powerballs are pretty versatile, although I have yet to really mess with one to give you full detail on that amp.
Mesa mark IV. Seriously the most versatile amp ever in its range.

It can do fantastic fender cleans and heart stopping overdrive

Look at one.
Quote by caraluzzo
Engl E530 Preamp.
VHT Two/Fifty/Two or Two/Ninety/Two Poweramp.

Heard somebody else with a simular setup and it did metal pretty good. Pretty sure that preamp wont due you death metal though, I think theres another preamp (E570?) that does the Bro0tz pretty good but it's alot more expensive I believe.

VHT's are one those amps where either you like it, or you don't. They're very tight, but I find them to be a bit to dry sounding.

The Powerballs are pretty versatile, although I have yet to really mess with one to give you full detail on that amp.

you'd be sorely mistaken :p
it's actually quite the contrary lol, more gain than you'd need, bite, crunch, and rip-your-balls-off-and-shove-em-down-your-throat ****in CAJONES. death metal is where this preamp shines IMO when you're talkin metal
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
yeah ive heard plenty of metal clips on the e530, im not worried about it lacking gain.
I'm just trying to find a good poweramp. The newer VHTs are out of my budget, but the old ones are 66lbs and 120 watts!
ALso still considering the Blackmore, i prefer it to the PBall.
Oh and the Laboga too!

I'm selling it for $550 +shipping!
E mail mikefetting@comcast.net if you're interested!
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
bumpagge

I need some good power amp suggestions, i want big low end, tightness and transparency.
Budget for the power amp is around $600=$700.
Go!
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
I would get the Powerball if I were you. Those things are just sick I think.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
I would get the Powerball if I were you. Those things are just sick I think.

Its definitely still a possibility

Damn, i wish my parents would let me spend a couple grand and just get an Invader....
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
yeah ive heard plenty of metal clips on the e530, im not worried about it lacking gain.
I'm just trying to find a good poweramp. The newer VHTs are out of my budget, but the old ones are 66lbs and 120 watts!
ALso still considering the Blackmore, i prefer it to the PBall.
Oh and the Laboga too!

I'm selling it for $550 +shipping!
E mail mikefetting@comcast.net if you're interested!

check out the carvin TS100 tube power amp, awesome features and sound, for just $550 USD
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
So I'm thinking for power amps I'm going to try and snag either a VHT 2150 or Mesa 2:90 used.
Maybe a Mesa 20:20 if i find a good deal.
Then for noise reduction I'm going to get a Decimator rack unit.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Have you considered an Engl Fireball?
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
I have, but i believe the gain control on both clean and lead is shared, so that might pose a problem for me.
I like the Blackmore tone a little better from what I've heard.
But if i see a good deal on one i might check it out.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball