Page 1 of 2
At the moment i own a Line 6 Pod XT Live which i put into the front of my Marshall AVT150H, the 2 cabs i have are the AVT's (200watts each/50watts a speaker)

The AVT are only valve / tube preamp and the power amp is solid state.
Id really like to upgrade my head to an all tube, but i dont know which ones to look around at.

The problem is, all the all tube heads i find seem to have their own unique kind of tones and sounds, but all i want is basic but loud and clear amplification (and EQ ofcorse) , and have my effects do all the tone work etc.

Any ideas on which ones i should look for?
Any help is appreciated, thanks.
wat styles? wat price range?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
mesa boogie tripple rec = orgasm
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Im going to infer that you want to use the distortion models on the pod? if so just get a very loud key board amp or roland jc-120

and +1 to budget and styles
I play HEAAVY METALL so most of the time distortion is used, but clean and various effects are also used, after upgrading this thing will be cranked a lot.

and any price range will be considered, i got the whole stack off ebay for only 300 quid haha, who says i cant get a 1000 pounds tube head for 50p lol, but the cheaper the better i suppose, but id rather not compromise too much in the ways of money for how good it is, so any advice is good
if your tone is coming from preamp processor or petals id got with a tube power amp Carvin has a good one for about $800. and you can run stereo. esp. with 2 cabs
Gear:
Fernandes Revolver Elite
Schecter C1 Exotic
Schecter C1 Classic
Peavey JSX head
Hartke 4x12 cab
Boss GT-8
BBE 362 Sonic maximizer
yeah i forgot to mention, advice about separate preamp and power amp cominations etc would be helpful too, thanks everyone already
haha a 50watt one speaker combo isnt quite what im after, i want a head that will make my cabs blow the walls down
Quote by Bigaxmax
haha a 50watt one speaker combo isnt quite what im after, i want a head that will make my cabs blow the walls down

50 watts is loud, and if you want more speakers (even though they won't make the amp that much louder) just by a separate cab

and never make fun of engls
lol engls are amazing, but 50 watts is loud, for a bedroom, but i want something stage worthy... hence the stack, i was considering an ENGL head, but they seemed to have the problem that im facing, paying more for the tone and distortion built in, which i dont really need.
cheapo: bugera

sensible: Laney GH/VH 50/100, 5150, Laney TT50H, JCM900/800, orange? mesa...in order of price

silly: take your pick...diezel VH4 probably
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
lol you dont think you can gig with a 50 watt tube combo? heh you should go try a 50 watt tube combo and see how loud it gets... its more then you need regardless of what you think
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Bigaxmax
but 50 watts is loud, for a bedroom, but i want something stage worthy... hence the stack

50watts is overkill for a bedroom...
Quote by Bigaxmax
lol engls are amazing, but 50 watts is loud, for a bedroom, but i want something stage worthy... hence the stack, i was considering an ENGL head, but they seemed to have the problem that im facing, paying more for the tone and distortion built in, which i dont really need.

You do realize that a 50 watt head and a set of speakers are not much louder, just different bass response? and also, you do understand that a 50 watt Tube amp is EXTREMELY loud .
lol, yeah i understand all this, but the fact remains, i dont wanna buy a friggen 50watt combo, i want an all tube head for my 2 cabs, and a stack sounds louder from a distance too, more speakers and a greater 'wall' of sound waves etc, which is why i want it for gigging, i just find it better than a combo even though the volume does compare.

anyways, any more suggestions?
Laney GH/VH 50/100, 5150, Laney TT50H, JCM900/800, Orange and Mesa are the only proper suggestions i got so far from stevo
Forget Mesa already, you won't get them that cheap.

Re-consider the ENGL, it pwns balls
Quote by selkies
mesa boogie tripple rec = orgasm

trip rec = sounds horrible uncranked and overpriced
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by Bigaxmax
lol, yeah i understand all this, but the fact remains, i dont wanna buy a friggen 50watt combo, i want an all tube head for my 2 cabs, and a stack sounds louder from a distance too, more speakers and a greater 'wall' of sound waves etc, which is why i want it for gigging, i just find it better than a combo even though the volume does compare.

anyways, any more suggestions?
Laney GH/VH 50/100, 5150, Laney TT50H, JCM900/800, Orange and Mesa are the only proper suggestions i got so far from stevo

if you need anything more than 50 TUBE watts for volume purposes, you have a problem
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
if you need anything more than 50 TUBE watts for volume purposes, you have a problem

So Eric Clapton, Jimi Page, nearly every metal guitar player of the last 30 years, all the people in the world who own non master volume JMP's or Orange OR's have a problem?

Some people need the headroom. Other people just want the headroom. Other people just want to say they have 100 watts.

Nothing wrong with that.

To the OP- what kind of metal?
those avt cabinets won't sound really amazing though, They will drag a good all tube head down. I would suggest selling all of that, and buying an ENGL Head and a cab if you really must have a stack.
Marshall cabinets below the 1960 models are MDF and have crappy speakers.

Putting an expensive head through those is like putting a Toyota Corolla engine in a Ferrari.
what kind of gigs are you playing that requires 2 4x12 cabs?
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by al112987
Marshall cabinets below the 1960 models are MDF and have crappy speakers.

Putting an expensive head through those is like putting a Toyota Corolla engine in a Ferrari.

if you have a toyota corolla engine, surely its better to buy a ferrari with no engine and upgrade the engine when you can afford it than to wait ages til you can afford the whole thing in one go?

and all these people saying get a combo, its like having a toyota corolla engine and a ferrari but taking the bus
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
if you have a toyota corolla engine, surely its better to buy a ferrari with no engine and upgrade the engine when you can afford it than to wait ages til you can afford the whole thing in one go?

and all these people saying get a combo, its like having a toyota corolla engine and a ferrari but taking the bus

Touche.

But agreed.
Quote by Bigaxmax

Are you kidding?! 50W VALVE amp on full volume will cause the first 5 rows at a concert hearing damage! Trust me

But yeah, plus one on the Laney heads, you wont regret it
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
at the moment in my band we have been learning lots of different covers and are currently writing songs.

Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Metallica, Slayer... pretty much the style we play, lots of distortion is used and i love my pinches and harmonics
and yes i know, the AVT cabs arent amasing, but they will do for now.
a lot of the places where i gig and go i could quite easily borrow a better cab(s) but the head is the most important for now.
AVT purely for volume and the fact i got the whole stack for 300, im happy with the deal i got haha.
Ill upgrade head first, then cabs.
how big and how many people are at the places your giging
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Bigaxmax
50 watts is loud, for a bedroom, but i want something stage worthy...

Quote by imgooley
So Eric Clapton, Jimi Page, nearly every metal guitar player of the last 30 years, all the people in the world who own non master volume JMP's or Orange OR's have a problem?

Some people need the headroom. Other people just want the headroom. Other people just want to say they have 100 watts.

Nothing wrong with that.

To the OP- what kind of metal?

In all fairness PA's were utter wank back then.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
noone is listening for gods sake!
50watts in a combo isnt loud enough for me
50watts tube in a head would do but 100 is what im after.
an ENGL head is a good idea, and ive already got the idea that ENGL are very good, so stop telling me to get one haha
id like some more suggestions, or some advice, but dont just tell me to sell my gear and buy new shit, cuz im not going to, i just want to upgrade the head first, then upgrade the cabs/put new speakers in them eventually when i have the money
will you actually set a budget before the 2nd page?

i think you want a laney GH myself, or a VH if you want a clean channel
Quote by Bigaxmax
an ENGL head is a good idea, and ive already got the idea that ENGL are very good, so stop telling me to get one haha
id like some more suggestions, or some advice, but dont just tell me to sell my gear and buy new shit, cuz im not going to, i just want to upgrade the head first, then upgrade the cabs/put new speakers in them eventually when i have the money

*UBERFACEPALM*

give a budget. also, there isnt much difference in volume between a stack and a combo.
buy what you want, but understand, 50watt 1 speaker combo is enough, and dont ask for advice just to ignore it.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Quote by Bigaxmax

noone understands you man, first of all, we dont know ur budget. second of all, i need to know if ur using pod for distortion or not, and also 100w is unnecessary, if your scared you wont be loud enough, use the goddamn PA. if you are using ur pod for distortion and tone, then theyrs no sense in buying a high-gain head. buy a tube power-amp.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
You do realize the only difference between 50 watts and 100 watts is about 3 decibels right? a 100 watt amplifier has just a bit more headroom.

50 watts tube is LOUD. Your amp is a Hybrid tube, so obviously its not going to be that loud, because there are no actual power tubes in your amp to amplify the harmonic frequencies which give the tube amps their loudness .

But an ENGL Screamer 50, maybe a used Splawn Pro-Stock or a Mesa Mark 4 head should do fine.
Quote by Bigaxmax

If your gona be that way, just get this http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Hello-Kitty-Pink-Strat-KIT-Monster-Cable-Amp_W0QQitemZ320300950961QQcmdZViewItem

And yes 50 watts is LOUD ENOUGH for you, I have a 18 watt tube, and although I dont gig, it is infact gig worthy - at 18 watts!
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by Bigaxmax

A 50 watt combo and 50 watt head and 4x12 puts out the same volume if using the same speakers.

I find it very unlikely that you NEED 100 watts for volume reasons. The point is, by the time a 50 watt head is not loud enough for you, you'll almost definitely have a PA to work with.

If you want any indication, Jimmy Page A/B-ed a 30 watt Orange AD30 head with a 100 watt Marshall superlead head at the Led Zeppelin reunion gig and maintained a pretty level volume. Seriously, a 50 watt amp is only 3 dB quieter than a 100 watt amp. That is insignificant to the human ear at the volumes you're talking about.
db is a stupid scale

point is, a halfstack with 4 speakers will sound louder and carry the sound better than a 50w combo but you wont turn either of those to 10 so you could just push the combo harder to keep up

back to the ferrari thing, TS has a halfstack to start with, IMO the best plan is to get a better head and upgrade the cab at the first opportunity
Page 1 of 2