Hey everyone, I've been reading these forums for the last few weeks and decided to make an acount. This is my first post here, so first I'd like to say hello to everyone.

Next I guess I'll give you a little background info on how I got here. When I was 5 or 6 I stared taking piano lessons up until when I was 11. I then decided I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I bought my guitar and took lessons but I just didn't really like it/get into it that much. I'm 15 now and a few months ago I picked up my guitar and starting playing some. I started playing more and more and it's gotten to the point that I'm playing pretty much every day.

So I basically want to know what I should learn. I know how to read tabs and have some very basic music theory from my piano lessons. Treble Clef, Bass Clef, notes on the staff, the beat values for notes and stuff like that. I want to be able to play well and play songs from my favorite artists and everything, but I don't want to get to the point where I can play well but have no idea of the theory behind what I'm doing. So, I'm coming to you guys to point me in the right direction, should I start learning scales, chords? I would like to learn the mechanics to creating my own solos and stuff like that, but where do I need to start at? Any books or free online lessons?

Hopefully I posted this in the right section and props to anyone who wants to help a young lad get started in a lifetime of playing and enjoying music.
Learn all the scales and chords you can, it won't hurt. Youtube has a lot of guitar lessons and instructional videos, check that out too.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
google!!!

This site also has some lessons and what-not... don't know if they're any good, b/c i've never used any, but nonetheless they're there!
O O

___
You stated you can read sheet music, so I'd say, learn where the notes are on your guitar.
Well. It all depends which styles you want to learn, but there are some basics, which have been mentioned before. Learn your scales and your bar/open chords. After you have that down, you should be able to play any song you want, with relative ease. Next, I'd focus on learning all the "little things" that make guitar playing excellent. Depending what styles you like, you might want to learn who to tap, use a slide, or finger pick. It's all up to you in the long run, but I and almost everyone here would say learn your scales and chords. With scales and chords, you can write your own songs, solos, vocals, everything.
the lessons button at the top of the page?
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff