What would be a good guitar and amp for playing metal that I could get for $600 or less. I was thinking about a mockingbird with some form of amp. What do guys think?
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Sep 24, 2008,
If you want to play in a band later on, you'll need at least 30w of power. I recommend this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30w-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102640802-i1145735.gc
It's a modeling amp, it's designed to provide various sounds and it's better at metal than comparable models in that price range (no, the roland cube does not compare - period). There is a version of it called the ad30vtxl that is less aimed at variety and more at metal, but I can't dig one up now. It's pretty common though, you should not have much trouble finding one.
For guitars, I recommend these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG2EX1-Electric-Guitar-103382115-i1167867.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-ART100-Artist-Electric-Guitar-512354-i1173386.gc

Both make good metal guitars, the first being a bit more mellow sounding, the second a wee bit more aggressive and midrangy, though it's a subtle difference. Both are good for metal. They have an outlet sale on the second one, so if buying online is the way you wanna go, you can cut costs on the guitar and afford this amp, which is basically a bigger and better sounding (bigger speaker - better sound) version of the amp above:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50w-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-102806882-i1145847.gc

EDIT: I'd stay away from epiphones in that price range. I've had bad experiences with them.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by Dead Fetus
Save more so I can get what?

better amp, but then i remembered the metal muff and said "yeah, that always saves small tube amps form being un-metal"
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Oh, well I am probably going to spend more money on the amp than the guitar because i really need a new amp. I have a Squier strat with a Guitarmate 15 right so i really need new stuff
In that case you're probably better off concentrating on the amp and keeping the Squire. They're not that bad. Is it an HSS of SSS strat? If it's the latter, getting a single spaced humbucker is all you need to make it a nice metal axe.
Quote by TheQuailman
In that case you're probably better off concentrating on the amp and keeping the Squire. They're not that bad. Is it an HSS of SSS strat? If it's the latter, getting a single spaced humbucker is all you need to make it a nice metal axe.

the duck dude is right. get a nice amp, and adapt your guitar. for the HSS, just get a hot pickup (d activator, JB, distortion)
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

For metal i would recommend an Emg 81 and two hot rails..although that would probably cost you the same as the ibanez..
Quote by gun4hire
ugh, you cant rape someone with a pineapple because that would assume that someone doesnt want to have sex with a pineapple, which is impossible

Quote by Jackal58
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Especially an ignorant law.
My strat is actually a squier and my neighboor paul made me a humbucker that has twice the output of an SG humbuker so it is a HSS
Quote by TheQuailman

The quailman knows what he's talking about. Listen to the duck!
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by Eloy montes
For metal i would recommend an Emg 81 and two hot rails..although that would probably cost you the same as the ibanez..

That is a VERY bad idea. I'd not change the bridge pickup if it's a humbucker until he tried it with a good amp. Chances are he won't have to change it at all. And if he has to, why choose active pickups? They have a sound all their own that SOME like, but most don't. And why install active AND passive pickups in the same guitar? That'll give you considerable volume differences between pickups (and I don't know how to wire that tbh). On a different note, the cleans with such a pickup combination will be very poor.

No offense, but that was a ridiculous suggestion.
Well can anyone suggest me a good amp for metal than. I like A7X, Metallica, Bullet For My Valentine and stuff like that. And if I wanted to paint my guitar black would it be better to get an ebony fret board? and if so how much would that cost
^For amp definitely check out the Vox that Quailman posted, it'll suit you well. As for the fretboard, It's pretty much what kind of fretboard you like, If its a rosewood neck, that looks fine with black. If its maple then I'm not sure what to say, if you don't like the feel of it then change it, but I know some people love maple necks.

Quote by Eloy montes

no, just no.
Last edited by GuitarKid61791 at Sep 24, 2008,
I found a relatively moderably priced vox ad100vt-xl, a metal oriented modeling amp:
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_AD100VTXL%20Valvetronix%20XL%202x12%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49971329_cmCategorySA182890

You won't really need the 100w of power, but the two 12" speakers are worth having, way better bass response than with a single speaker.

You can try to find a used marshall dsl40, might be just in your price range.

EDIT: About the fretboard: I'd not do so, getting it replaced will cost you more than buying a new guitar, and doing it yourself is risky.
Thanks for all the help guys, also, is a B.C. Rich masterpiece Mockingbird a good guitar for metal? Does anyone know if its neck heavy?
BC Rich Mocking Birds are great guitars, except they have to be the "Made in USA" models. According to many guitar techs I have spoken with they say "If your going to get a BC Rich Mocking Bird GET one that was made in the USA because the ones made in Korea are HORRIBLE"

(that is not what I say I am simply quoting guitar techs)

But I agree with them..

Although the USA Mocking Birds run in the $4000.00 - $5000.00 per guitar, AND they are no longer made in the USA so they are hard to find.

Metal amps...

Marshall's are always great and I have heard good things about Mesa Boogie's as well.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Tahnks man cause there is a Mockingbird at a stroe near me and its only $350 so I'll probably pick it up
Would an Axl Wavepoint, Epiphone LP or SG Goth Edition or an Axl Mayhem Shadow be a good metal guitar, and if so, which would be best
Quote by TheQuailman
That is a VERY bad idea. I'd not change the bridge pickup if it's a humbucker until he tried it with a good amp. Chances are he won't have to change it at all. And if he has to, why choose active pickups? They have a sound all their own that SOME like, but most don't. And why install active AND passive pickups in the same guitar? That'll give you considerable volume differences between pickups (and I don't know how to wire that tbh). On a different note, the cleans with such a pickup combination will be very poor.

No offense, but that was a ridiculous suggestion.

what about the active hotrails?or dimarzios.and some have tonal morph installed to change the sound dramatically
Quote by gun4hire
ugh, you cant rape someone with a pineapple because that would assume that someone doesnt want to have sex with a pineapple, which is impossible

Quote by Jackal58
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Especially an ignorant law.
I thought hotrails were passive.
I don't know what tonal morph is, but I know that most high output pickups have poor clean tone, I never liked actives for anything but gain-on-11 sounds especially.

Quote by Dead Fetus
Would an Axl Wavepoint, Epiphone LP or SG Goth Edition or an Axl Mayhem Shadow be a good metal guitar, and if so, which would be best

The two Epis are only usable for metal if you swap the pickups, the stock ones are hella muddy. And even then, they're not much (if any) better than your Squier. I think the improvement in sound would be way to small to justify the expense.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 26, 2008,
check out the peavey bandits. or the new vypyrs. $300 112
sounds about right for your budget.

Don't go too cheap on a guitar.

$500+ is to get a decent guitar

Needs to stay in tune, and have good pickups.