If you use a mixing board you can have the whole mix I guess. And some amps (mainly practice amps) have a cd input which can be used for backing tracks.
they might have the headphones hooked up to their computer or an mp3 player and are playing along with the backing track off that
Schecter Damien FR
Hohner Acoustic
Crate V-18 212
Crate 10W Practice Amp
Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion
Killswitch Pedal (Built by me)
Digitech RP350
Some of them might have their amps mic'd straight into the computer and they listen to the backing track + the guitar as they play.
Well in addition to what other people said, could be a metronome...
I plug my computer (with backing tracks) into my pocket pod, which I listen to through headphones. It is a wonderful, marriage-saving way to practice =^)
Yes, the POD XT can be played through your computer, so you can play along with audio files on your computer. I use Audacity (free audio program) to record my guitar over .mp3 files to make my YouTube videos. My entire recording process is described in detail on my website if you're interested:

http://www.killrbuckeye.com
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
I can play backing tracks through my amp with my Boss ME-20.

And if I plug my headphones, I listen to the whole thing...
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
Thanks mate. So when I plug my POD XT into my pc via USB and attach a pair of headphones to it I can potentially hear both me playing the guitar and also the backing track?
Yes, if you're using the USB connection for audio, then you'll need to set your audio program's default sound device to the POD XT. Then it will play all the audio back through your POD, so keep your headphones plugged into the POD.

The other option, which is what I do, is to connect your POD's audio outputs (left and right 1/4" outputs) directly to your computer's sound hardware. This way, your computer's default sound device will be used for recording and playback, and you can hear all the audio through your computer speakers or headphones connected to your computer.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye