Okay UG,

For chemistry, I have to balance this redox reaction. That means I have to balance all the charges, and make the charges of both sides equal zero. Here is the equation:

MnO4-(aq) + C2H5OH(aq) → Mn2+(aq) + CH3CO2H(aq)

All numbers are supposed to be subscripts.
I'M GOING NUCKING FUTS!

whats the aq mean? Then I might be able to help you with the balancing. And i take it you know you will have to put co effecients infront of the molecules to balance it
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
It means aqueous.
it isnt important. the hardest part is the fact that because the carbon in the second part has two different oxidation charges.
I'M GOING NUCKING FUTS!

im so lost with this thread 0_0
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
correct the equation and i can do it ( (aq) is not a compund or element)
put brackets around the polyatomic ions
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
Last edited by GmacD at Sep 24, 2008,
Hydrogen on the end needs a 2 on it, least I'm pretty sure it does, I'll try and do this but might take me a while

Dude that is the phase it is in (aqeous)
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by GmacD

aq is the state of the compound. It means aqueous, meaning it can be dissolved in water
I'M GOING NUCKING FUTS!

Quote by your_mom-zors
Okay UG,

For chemistry, I have to balance this redox reaction. That means I have to balance all the charges, and make the charges of both sides equal zero. Here is the equation:

MnO4-(aq) + C2H5OH(aq) → Mn2+(aq) + CH3CO2H(aq)

All numbers are supposed to be subscripts.

I only know that Mn in the reactives has a charge of +8 and Mn in the products it has a charge of 0....

I don't know about the others, but I guess the C is the one that oxides (or reduces can't remember)
Hydrogen on the end needs a 2 on it, least I'm pretty sure it does, I'll try and do this but might take me a while

nahh i think it is a carboxcylic acid... btw im still working on it i hate redox
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
you have Mn2 + (aq) + (long compound with multiple hdrogen and oxygen for somereason)
it sould just be Mn2(aq) (no + between the state and the element/compound)
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
Quote by gonzaw
I only know that Mn in the reactives has a charge of +8 and Mn in the products it has a charge of 0....

I don't know about the others, but I guess the C is the one that oxides (or reduces can't remember)

dude MnO4 is permanganate it has a 1- charge and im working on it also
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
I just took AP chem last year, but I hardly recognize this shit now.

However, I do want to mention that acetic acid should be written as CH3COOH not CH3CO2H. This is done for the same reason you did not write ethanol C2H6O. It provides a more accurate description of the molecular arrangement and makes the hydroxide quite obvious.

Quote by GmacD
you have Mn2 + (aq) + (long compound with multiple hdrogen and oxygen for somereason)
it sould just be Mn2(aq) (no + between the state and the element/compound)

The "+" between the Mn2 and (aq) represents the charge... and please proofread your posts.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
:However, I do want to mention that acetic acid should be written as CH3COOH not CH3CO2H. This is done for the same reason you did not write ethanol C2H6O. It provides a more accurate description of the molecular arrangement and makes the hydroxide quite obvious.

My mistake. I was just copying it from the book. but yea, now that i look at it, that would make it easier to read
I'M GOING NUCKING FUTS!

^haha np, I was just disappointed in myself for having forgot it all so I figured I'd ramble about the one thing i did recognize

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Varkunus
whats the aq mean? Then I might be able to help you with the balancing. And i take it you know you will have to put co effecients infront of the molecules to balance it

...you didnt know what aq was...and your giving advise...
ive been at this thing for a while and so i found this http://www.personal.psu.edu/jzl157/balance.htm its a chemical equation balance and when i put it in it said it couldnt be balanced i tried an acidic reaction which you did not state and it worked and i also tried basic solution so maybe i put it in wrong
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
gah, i forgot how to do these.

i looked it up online, and i get:

2MnO4 + 5C2H5OH + 6H+ (from 3H2SO4) ---> 2Mn(2+) + 5CH3COOH + 8H2O

Here's the full reaction, I think (it balances more easily):

5 C2H5OH +2 KMnO4 +3 H2SO4 = 5 CH3COOH +2 MnSO4 +1 K2SO4 +8 H2O

anyway, i *think* that's ok, but as i said, i forgot how to do it, so I'm not 100% on it. hopefully guitardude19 will turn up. it's so long since i've done these i forget how...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

(don't thank me until the teacher marks it correct lol )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?