Bought this guitar off ebay, which was (according to the seller) from the 60s. Plugged it in, and all i get if fizzy, fuzz noise - like when you put the input jack halfway into your guitar and wiggle it about. I took it apart to see what the problem was, and the input looked fine. But theres a god damned circuit board inside it! So im guessing tihs is some kind of overdrive or fuzz circuit inside. But as far as getting anything to work goes, im stuck, so any help of advice would be really aprecciated
Sorry about the low quality pics. Can post more if you want.

I very much doubt thats from the 60's.

how much did you pay?

looks like somebody's bad attempt at a build and selling it on way overpriced, saying it's from the 60's
Empty Space
£40
And i have no idea what make it is D:
I think it may be japanese, not 100% though.
hmm, nice looking guitar. Unfortonatly i'm not much on electronics but give Invaderjim a pm, he's very knowledgeable of these older guitars and their electronics. He could probably help you.

Cheers!
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
No way to determine what it is supposed to do from these pictures, but it looks a lot like kitchen table technology to me. A guitar factory would most probably install a printed circuitboard instead of this universal radio shack board. Therefore I think you can solve the problem by leaving everything out exept the pick ups and the basic potmeters and output socket. Just start with a completely blanc sheet and then draw the most basic wiring diagram that can make the pick ups work
that guitar is made of awesome.

btw, if you could post some clearer pics of the circuit, it would probably halp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I know Gibson put fuzz circuits in a small number of their guitars in the 60s. It would have been on a breadboard like that. This is obviously not a gibson, but the company that made it may have been stealing that idea.
Edit: Also their should be some way to supply power to that circuit i.e. a 9v battery snap somewhere.
It's hard to tell if that's stock or not, though all the fuzz components seem period-correct. It's definitely a 60s/early 70s piece.
It's entirely possible that it's working just fine- a lot of the early fuzzes didn't have any extra volume- that is, if you turned the volume all the way up, it was the same volume as the input signal, just fuzzy. If you get some clearer pictures of the board we may be able to ID it for you, it looks like some sort of 2-transistor tonebender type circuit.
Have you tried a 9V adapter into the second input thing? That's probably what powers the fuzz.
look at the board - perfboard
the markings on the controls - dymo labelmaker

this is probably a 1 of a kind custom.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
My guess is some sort of Teisco. Even if it wasn't originally branded as a Teisco you can bet it is, seeing how Teisco made just about any of the japanese rebranded guitars in the 60s/70s
Sorry, but those pics are terrible. I can't make anything out. Try putting the camera to "Macro" (usually a little tulip symbol).

Anyway, The guitar itself looks like it could be from the mid-late '60s and prolly Japanese. Look on the back of the pots for the word "Tokyo" and you'll know. The 2 pup switches are identical to the ones on my '66 Conrad (Japanese). Any way you could draw a schem of the fuzz?

Looks like it's a little custom job someone did back in the day. If so, you have a piece of guitar modding history, man.
Quote by Invader Jim

Looks like it's a little custom job someone did back in the day. If so, you have a piece of guitar modding history, man.

You people made me change my mind. I now like to drop my previous suggestion. Preserve this odd ball addition. It's cute.
That is an awesome ****ing guitar! How is that circuit board powered? You cannot have a passive fuzz circuit. Maybe a new batterey will make the cleans sound better as well.
those labels are from one of those plastic punch machines from the 1970's/1980's... those labels are made of awesome

and it looks like whoever was inlaying that board just took pieces of shell and tossed them in there...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Thanks for all the help so far guys.
A bit more info on the guitar:
Under the sratchplate theres a part where a chunk has been, er, delicately hacked out to make room for a switch for the fuzz.
2 Of the pots are larger and have 'RS' written on the side of them - Radioshack?
The 2nd input is damn weird. A 3.5mm headphone jack fits nicely inside it. A 9V adaptor doesnt fit - or at least not the size that i use with my pedals. So i have no idea how the circuit board is powered. There's nowhere for a 9V battery or anything.
Theres 3 transistors on the circuit board. The capacitors all have RS on them as well so i presume radioshack also. Il try and have a go at doing a schem for it later but i can't promise anyhting too amazing...

And although I dont think it's a Teisco, (ive trawled the internet loads and iy doesnt look like any Teisco/Kawai/Guyatone etc) i think its liekly that its from the same factory.

So at the moment Im thinking 60/70s jap guitar with ...customised... electronics haha.
Oh, it also smells like old shed.

I have a theremin that needs a power supply jack just like a headphone jack, really thin. I think its called 3.5mm or something... should power the juzz. However a battery is far easier than to try and make a cable run up to the guitar to power the fuzz. It might be better to gut the fuzz and rehouse it in a box.
^my power supply came with adapters to go from the 'regular' 9v power supply end to a 3.5mm headphone looking jack. I guess thats what you'd need to use to power the thing.

But cool find.
It'd definately be awesome to get it working properly again.
http://www.dv247.com/invt/49274/

Maybe its an older style thing if its on a theremin (ive always wanted a go of one of those haha)
Seems a bit weird having to be connected to a power supply all the time though.
Last edited by scott__ at Sep 25, 2008,
My Godlyke powersupply came with a screed of adaptors, one of which was for this sort of application.
That smaller jack powers the fuzz. Back in the day, those 'headphone' power adapter wall-warts were fairly common. The only thing I've seen these days that uses one is my shitty little Chinese 12v Dremel ripoff. The resaon there was no battery is probably because that guitar is a thinline, and they couldn't fit a battery box in there or fit one under the pickguard.

As for the brand, the body shape is ALOT like my '60s Global guitar and Kay Bass, so it could be one of those. They didn't use pups that looked like that, though.

Those are some wierd-ass transistors. There could be a buffer or a mini-booster tied into the fuzz circuit?
Oh right, thanks very much.
So do you think it would work okay if i unsoldered the wires from the smaller input and soldered a battery clip for a 9v battery instead?
Well, you may not be able to fit one in there, or I'm sure the person who did that would have done it.

Try to see if you can get a 9v in there and still have the pickguard flat against the body before you do any soldering. If it works, go for it. Try to leave as much as you can intact, though, because virgin solder joints are a big deal for resale value.
that definately looks like an old harmony. some same switch positions and pickguard as my old h-802, except yours has that tremelo arm to it and has been modified to death. The body shape is similar to other harmony models.

that looks like one hell of a project.
lost and confused,
focused on the obscured.

(\__/) (`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ | ¸.·'´¸.·'´¸.·'´
(o.0 ) (´¨`·.¸¸~MoRBiDThOuGhTs~¸¸.·´¨`)
(> < ) (¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ | `'·.¸`'·.¸`'·.¸
Quote by Invader Jim
That smaller jack powers the fuzz. Back in the day, those 'headphone' power adapter wall-warts were fairly common. The only thing I've seen these days that uses one is my shitty little Chinese 12v Dremel ripoff. The resaon there was no battery is probably because that guitar is a thinline, and they couldn't fit a battery box in there or fit one under the pickguard.

As for the brand, the body shape is ALOT like my '60s Global guitar and Kay Bass, so it could be one of those. They didn't use pups that looked like that, though.

Those are some wierd-ass transistors. There could be a buffer or a mini-booster tied into the fuzz circuit?

proco rats use that kind of adaptor.

also, just my 0.02, but it wouldn't surprise me if the electronics were original. i've seen other 60s/70s guitars with similar things. the labels on the pickguard were presumably added by someone at a later date to remember what everything did.

you could try going through and figuring out where the problem lies, or you could bypass the weird electronics for now and leave it for a later date.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Sep 26, 2008,