My picking hand gets tired (actually I feel it more in my forearm, I think I rotate it slightly when I pick) after rhythm like chugging, it only takes a song, I can still play, but it is irritating......will this pass or do I need to change the way I'm picking. I'm not saying I use my whole arm to pick either....I don't, I know the whole wrist only deal. Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.
ESP Ltd EC100-Qm
Line 6 Spider III 75W
I remember when that used to happen to me. I don't remember, however, what I did to fix that. I think it will go away with more practice, but don't play too much when you're hurting as tendentious will not be fun for a guitar player.
Make sure your arm is relaxed when you pick. With chugging riffs, your arm automaticly wants to tense up to compensate for the quick motion. Start out slow, making sure your arm is relaxed, and gradually build up speed. Use a metronome and try to identify at around what speed you notice yourself tensing up. Then slow it down to just below that and practice there for a while. When it feels fluid, bump it up another 10 bpm. This will ensure you're practicing at a speed you can handle at first and not trying to overuse your muscles (which is what it sounds like).

There's somthing called sympathetic tension you also want to be aware of as you practice. When you tense a particular group of muscles, the muscles nearby want to tense up as well to help you exert more force. Evolutionarily speaking, it's great for hunting Sabre-tooth Tigers and such but not so great for guitar. Tension is the enemy of speed. As you're playing, try to notice the muscles further up in your forearm, bicep, shoulder, neck, and back. I've seen some players who c0ck their shoulder all the way up to their ear when they try to play tough/quick passages, coiling all their muscles like a spring and generally making themselves work harder then they have to.

When you see a talented guitarist play and he makes it look easy, that's because it is. He/she isn't tensing up at all and they're just playing fluidly and relaxed, and that should be your goal as well. Good luck!
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Sep 24, 2008,
Hmmm.....sounds about right, thanks, and another question I meant to ask. When I do the whole pinch harmonic stuff, I currently have to turn the pick at a 90deg angle, bad habit? I can do that fine, if I keep the pick parallel...i guess...I haven't had any success.

By the way, I love hunting Sabre-tooth Tigers.
ESP Ltd EC100-Qm
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Essentially, do it however is most comfortable. With things of that nature (pinches), as long as you're getting the notes to ring out clean and solid, there's not necessarily a right or wrong. Personally I hold the pick around a 45º angle, and kinda curl my thumb outward as I pick. Just keep practicing, if you're stumped there are some great vids on youtube.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Garou1911...

great delivery! I'll be following some of your advice as well. Thank you!

Chris
Yeah for one, do what feels the most comfortable. But it's mostly practice and experience. It happened to me before, but i got used to it. Your hand and arm has muscles, and you need to excersice them to get them stronger.