Ok. I was beginning to get tired with all of these Marshall Mg hatin' threads. I've been playing for about two and a half years and the only amps I've owned were MGs. I always took up for them saying that they were pretty decent amps. Not the best but decent. Sure you need a ds1 or something for distortion but that was about it.
I found out that a lot of people's mgs were breaking for no reason. I found that hard to believe because I have never had a single problem with mine until NOW. It just quit working for no reason. It acts like it will come on then it might for a second. Then it will slowly stop working all together. I don't want any advice on how to fix it. I just wanted to say that all of you MG haters were right.
I'll probably never buy another Marshall ever again. Their stacks may be great but if they're sorry enough to put out a product as crappy as the MG then I'm not giving them any more money. But if anyone just offered to buy me a Marshall JVM then that's different. They're just not getting my money.
I'm thinking bout buying a Fender Hot Rod Deville (4x10 or 2x12?). I don't play much metal so this amp should handle my style of blues/hard rock. So if anyone owns it don't hesitate to tell me about it.
I also think MGs are hated for no reason. My buddy had the MG100 half stack and it sounded really good. It won't sound like a Mesa or JCM800 but then again it's not.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
^kenny you didnt read the entire post, lol

shit happens. It is a lower quality amp and priced higher then it should be for the quality. But actually its a very good selling strategy of marshall. They know the power of their name, and the mg's are one of the best selling amps. Mainly because beginners see the name, and the price and flip.

they definately know what they are doing, lol

and i had a HRD for a while, didnt really like it, but i play a lot more hard rock and metal. The cleans are amazing, i loved them. But I wasn't to much of a fan of the drive and more drive channels. Seem to do everything from clean to classic rock, I dunno about hard rock.

Personally I don't think its voiced for it. But maybe with a nice tube screamer or something it could do it pretty well.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Sep 24, 2008,
HRDs are nice, but maybe also look at a Vox AC15 Custom Classic or a Peavey Delta Blues.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
My MG broke. I paid £20 to get it fixed. It broke again a day later, same fault. Pay another £20? No I shelled out a grand and got a 6505+. Best thing I've ever done
ohai little sig.
They are nice practice amps (the lower wattage ones) but then again people assume when you own an MG you are using it as your main super duper amp.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Shit breaks sometimes dude, it's tough to have something for a couple of years withought having any problems with it.
This thread isn't about MG bashing, people. The guy needs a new amp. He's asking for help. It's our duty as MG haters to point him in the proper direction.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
you have your mg, i had my valvestate. it is just hard to go marshall when their whole line has equivalent models by other companies that don't suck and are cheaper.

i'd rather have an orange rocker 30, a vox ac30 than any kinda jcm 2000 model. a vox ac30 comes with 2 alnico blues and is 100 usd less than the jcm 2000 tsl thing they got. it obviously doesn't have near as good speakers, and you'll probably never push that amp to it's sweet spot with the 100 watts the jcm has, the vox break up much nicer at room volumes. to me marshall just gets owned by its competition.

but who doesn't want a '59 plexi reissue

edit: sorry, you do need a new amp huh, just got to much into bashing marshall. vox ac15 is a sweet little thing, people like the cheapo peavey tube amps. i like the orange TT, it is has a fairly accessible price range and i love the sound, you can not beat it for the price. if you just want a practice amp then one of the roland cubes is no worse than anything else on the market for what it does and is better than most the alternatives.

rah rah rah marshall sucks
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by gumbilicious
you have your mg, i had my valvestate. it is just hard to go marshall when their whole line has equivalent models by other companies that don't suck and are cheaper.

i'd rather have an orange rocker 30, a vox ac30 than any kinda jcm 2000 model. a vox ac30 comes with 2 alnico blues and is 100 usd less than the jcm 2000 tsl thing they got. it obviously doesn't have near as good speakers, and you'll probably never push that amp to it's sweet spot with the 100 watts the jcm has, the vox break up much nicer at room volumes. to me marshall just gets owned by its competition.

but who doesn't want a '59 plexi reissue

(Commenting the bold text) NO.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Did I say I've been playing for two and a half years? I meant three and a half. Anyway. Thanks for all of the advice. Keep the new amp suggestions coming.
I like my little MG15DFX. I can get a really nice EVH sound using my Peavey HP. I have an Epiphone Valve Jr as well with extension cab but have to use a pedal to get that tone. But still, MG's get a bashing around here, me included early on, but now that I can actually play something, I don't bash the little amp at all.

I am in the process of making my combo MG into a head and running it through my Epiphone extension cab. I think a $99(US) price point would take the sting out of it some (got mine for $118 from a music store "going out of business" sale). Build quality is my main concern (as stated earlier), I get a nasty sound every once in a while because the input jack sucks. Other than that, I'm happy as one could be with a $100 amp.

Chris
Quote by Hultan
(Commenting the bold text) NO.

so the 100 watt amp in this particular situation would break up better at room volume? consider me put on the map.
Quote by gumbilicious
so the 100 watt amp in this particular situation would break up better at room volume? consider me put on the map.

Break up? Are we changing to a valve discussion or still on SS??

Confused

Chris
Quote by I am the Drake
Did I say I've been playing for two and a half years? I meant three and a half. Anyway. Thanks for all of the advice. Keep the new amp suggestions coming.

Every fender amp from the Blues Deluxe up seems to have a good sound to price ratio. My next amp will probaby be a Vox just for some variation. I have a strong dislike for Marshall (the Gibson of the amp world)
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
GODAMN IT ITS NOT AN MG BASHING THREAD!

Ts if you want a new amp next time dont rant about one that people are prone to misread

But for what your playing I'd definitely reccomend either an HRD or look into a Peavey Classic 30, sounds spot on for what you want to play. Also check out Tryanor YCV40s and 50s.
Do a f*cking search for the love of God.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by gumbilicious

None of them would break up at "room volume", not even if you had a 5 watt one. People should give up this "I want my amp to have as low wattage as possible so it can break up at room volumes". It doesn't exist unless you have a very good attenuator, or if your amp has power scaling (like my 7 watts amp have).
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
I would recommend a Peavey Classic 30 for your tastes. My only complaint is that it breaks up a little quick so it wont be good for any country or other loud cleans. I find the drive channel to be quite delightful, it wont get you a classic Marshall (lol) crunch, but it's a great blues amp.

Also, I think a better way to say this would be to say that modern Marshalls suck. I think they are overrated, but you can't ignore the fact that they have shaped the tone of rock for ages. However, I think we all can agree that much of what Marshall has come out with, even higher end models, just aren't anything special nowadays.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
if you get the hotrod, get a distortion pedal with it. the dirty channel on the HR sucks.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I liked the tone on marshall mg's

Untill I played a Fender hot rod deluxe.

I bought myself a hot rod deville not too long ago, I play ska, jazz and Punk, I couldn't ask for a better amp. Even if I were signed and could buy anything I wanted, I would still play a fender hot rod deville, that's how much I love it. I bought mine used for 450. Buy one used, you'll never regret it. The distortion channel doesn't suck. You just need to dial it in and crank it. It doesn't get too heavy, but I've plugged in a super overdrive and gotten hardcore breakdowns out of mine. With a hollowbody. You just need to know how to dial shit in.

If you wanna look at something else though, a peavey c30 is a good amp as stated in previous posts
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Demonikk
My MG broke. I paid £20 to get it fixed. It broke again a day later, same fault. Pay another £20? No I shelled out a grand and got a 6505+. Best thing I've ever done

Your story is pure win!
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Your story is pure win!

THIS IS UG NOT STORY TIME

>_____________________<
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by deaththrashcore
Marshall MGs have about the same amount of tone as a tuning fork.

...A perfect constant tone?

I guess you could have meant only ONE... perfect... constant... tone.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I once played an MG in a freaking guitar shop and it broke on me. No sh*t. Thankfully the salesman knew me and knew that it was a turd of an amp, so he said that he'll ignore it as long as I bought something, so I bought two picks.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I tried one once. I was convinced the guitars output jack was broken. Or the cable was crap, that's how bad it was...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."