Hi, I was interested in buying a 5-string and tuning it to E A D G C. Whenever i play a bass in the store they're always tuned to B E A D G. If I buy one, will I need to restring the bass to get this tuning?

I'm not a big enough fan of breaking bass strings to try tuning that B all the way to E in-store.. Many thanks for any answers.
Last edited by Table Salt at Sep 24, 2008,
you will need to replace the nut. but, it is feasible, and if Steve Swallow is anything to go by, nice sounding.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
So would I have to buy a 6-string pack of strings and not use the B string?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Grab yourself a 6 string set and use the low B as a washing line. Problem solved.

That's the best advice I've ever heard from Dr. Phil.

Give it a shot dawg, the nut should be alright as you're replacing them with thinner strings rather than thicker so there will be space to accomodate them. That may be a bit of a two edged sword though and the strings being too loose in the nut. I recon you should get a 5 string, do your thing with it and see how well it works.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Grab yourself a 6 string set and use the low B as a washing line. Problem solved.

This. Or just buy the 5 strings individually, whichever is cheaper.
Quote by Table Salt
Thanks everyone! Now to save up for that Stilleto...

Good pick.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Dr. Phil gives advise? I thought it was just some obese hick lady going on the show every week asking a fat bald man for advise on how lose weight. His response is always "YOU GOTTA STOP DOIN' THAT" and then they treat him as if hes jesus, then at the end he walks off with his wife cause hes such a good husband the end.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
yeah i plan on doing this, delirium is very right
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
You're definately going to need to buy a new set of strings but not necessarily a new nut. Mine works just fine as it is and I tune my bass EADGC.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you can't find a 5 string set with a high C then yeah. Tuning any strings up by 5 semitones will snap them. Far too much tension.

Not true

I bought a 4 string bass from my friend for 60 bucks. He... "forgot to mention" that he had replaced the strings with the biggest four from a set for a 5 string. Tuned it to standard and nothing broke. I found out real quick what he had done though. The strings were really tight, and the neck warped a bit I changed the nut and the strings but there's still a little bit of warp to it. Now I have a 60 dollar fretbuzzapalooza

maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Last edited by BeastlyBassist at Sep 25, 2008,
When I first got a 5-er, i tuned it EADGC... it was fine for me...

definitely not good for the bass, but nothing snapped.

and yes, it was a standard BEADG 5 string set
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
When I first got a 5-er, i tuned it EADGC... it was fine for me...

definitely not good for the bass, but nothing snapped.

and yes, it was a standard BEADG 5 string set

Yeah that's what I was hoping not to have to do.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
So your strings didn't snap... but the bass was worse off and you got nasty neck warp. Well that's worse than snapping strings isn't it? And even MORE of a reason not to do it.

I didn't say that it ended up all fine and dandy. I adjusted the truss rod some and it's mostly better. I got most of my money back too!

I was saying exactly what you are. That it's definitely not a good idea, but also that it wouldn't snap the strings so that shouldn't be an indication that you've gone too far.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
I bought some super light gauge BEADGC string set and just use the low B as my E string and the rest where they're supposed to go(A for A, D for D, G for G, and so on and whatnot). My bass is pretty much okay, but I do have a wee bit of fret buzz on my B string. But that could also be from my possibly horrible fretting technique.

And to captainjack666, I thought you were going to do this like a month or two ago right?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you