I want to build myself a guitar for my birthday. I play hair metal stuff, some Metallica style stuff, and a bit of 70s rock. What kind of stuff would I need, and where would I find it? How much would it cost me? Basically, this is what I'm thinking...

TL;DR:
I want to build a Guitar
Style: Guns n Roses/Metallica/Rolling Stones
Pickups: I'm thinking an EMG 81/15 set
Wood: I don't know
Construction: Neck Through
Bridge Style: Floyd Rose
Fretboard: Ebony

I've heard ebony is hard to sand down, so is there a place that sells ready-made fretboards?

I'm expecting this to cost me at least 600 bucks, but the sky's the limit on my budget.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Quote by cjblack532

I've heard ebony is hard to sand down, so is there a place that sells ready-made fretboards?

Warmoth.com does, I believe.

[edit] I guess you can find like everything you need there.
i would recommend you go for a kahler hybrid tremolo. i prefer them to floyd rose. you can find them for somewhat equal prices, too. but yeah, warmoth.com is a good place to get started for your guitar.
Quote by Rogue Hermit
i would recommend you go for a kahler hybrid tremolo. i prefer them to floyd rose. you can find them for somewhat equal prices, too. but yeah, warmoth.com is a good place to get started for your guitar.

Meh, floyd rose is the standard in my opinion, the only thing I would take over an OFR is an ZR.
Oh and searching google will find you a LOT of this stuff, but ya Warmoth is the go to.
google carvin guitars, they have ready made neckthru necks you can order, as well as tons of others stuff, including a kits
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
right - awesome influences dude. i love the stuff ur into - dont suppose ur a vocalist near chester are you?

second thing - dont underestimate this, guitar building is hard work. $600 is probably a little low, especially if you have to buy tools. lots of places sell ready made fretboards, its just a case of looking for them - it'll tell you which ones are which.

dont forget - floyd roses are quite high so you'll need to compensate for that otherwise your action will be sky high
For 600 $ you won't go far, even if you buy in package deals, and let's assume you can do every step yourself & save a luthier's time from the bill, these kind of guitars are always more expensive even with the same guitar that's stock when you count everything it implies, exeption made if you buy chunks of wood & shape them yourself.

Suggestion-wise I'd say that guns N roses and metallica aren't in the same zone of the sonic specter, I'm not going to talk about each one'S rig since everyone and his dog knows it, but emgs will not be vintage-outputted at all, while it's what you need to get that tight distorted tone guns-like, on the other hand you won't like vintage electronics for trash, what do you want it to sound like ?
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by CobenBlack
dont forget - floyd roses are quite high so you'll need to compensate for that otherwise your action will be sky high

Suggestion: try something else than a neck-thru and put a low-profile (AKA carved in the guitar) floyd, because I doubt the wings & cut neck would be able to handle such a setup, why exactly make a neck-thru bu the way ? If it's for fret access I'd say go check out how washburn are making their 5-bolt neck joint on some of their high-end guitars, marvelous.

EDIT!: Hell with the double post, & long live the Crüe, Eddie & let's chant some anthems, WE ARE THE YOUTH GONE WILD hehe.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by Rogue Hermit

Nah, Kahlers have a problem staying in tune with string bending.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Sky the limit money wise?

Go get the credit card and some ebony african black and some brazilian rosewood.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Quote by cjblack532
I want to build myself a guitar for my birthday. I play hair metal stuff, some Metallica style stuff, and a bit of 70s rock. What kind of stuff would I need, and where would I find it? How much would it cost me? Basically, this is what I'm thinking...

TL;DR:
I want to build a Guitar
Style: Guns n Roses/Metallica/Rolling Stones
Pickups: I'm thinking an EMG 81/15 set
Wood: I don't know
Construction: Neck Through
Bridge Style: Floyd Rose
Fretboard: Ebony

I'm expecting this to cost me at least 600 bucks, but the sky's the limit on my budget.

Buy your self a 1975 custom les paul with an ebony fretboard
Are we talking from scratch here? Lumps of wood > guitar?

What tools do you have? What wood working skills do you have?

I dont want to be negative but like said, depending on your set up, $600 will not get you far, and saying that you dont know what body wood you want to use leads me to think that you have not thought this through enough.

A lot of planning and design has to go into building a guitar to make sure it will function correctly once you have built it, and to know how to build it every step of the way, I suggest you hit the drawing board.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
So, I've decided I don't want to cut the wood myself, that'll save me a bunch of money on tools for that.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009