I know these forums are pretty subjective when it comes to things like this but I'm a sucker for input when easily available. Just to give you some background to base your bass remarks off of, I've been playing for two years. I slap, pop, tap, finger, and pick so I'm looking for something flexible, crunchy yet punchy and under $600.
Personally, I'd go with a Peavey Grind.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
well if you were going with Peavey, what about a Millenium...I don't own one, but aren't they supposed to be nice? I'd have to play them both and see cause I've never played a Grind either
I don't know dude go to a music shop and check out ALL the basses under $### and see what you like best.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
personally? I'd get some more money, at about 600-800 you start finding more awesomeness.
like the Jazz 24, Deluxe jazz, Schecter Stiletto Elite or Custom, Ibanez ATK...

or, you can look for them used now. your choice.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
get a used fender aerodyne, or a laguna bass if ur guitar center has one on clearance
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
As my sig states, I'm really looking into getting a Spector Legend Classic 4 String...which is about 530 US dollars (quoted from Musicians Friend), but thats just my input. Play as many basses as you can in that price range!
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Quote by CurbstompBass
A Schecter would be a great choice in the that price range. Good mid-level basses. You see them more in metal, but actually do well for just about anything.

Schecter Stilletto custom 5 or 4 $550.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...