does the type of pick influence the speed/effeciency someone can alternate pick?

my friend told me that mediums are best for alternate picking, but i use heavy picks

so should i be fine if i use heavy or shud i switch?
I use Gibson and Tortex like, 1.12 mm picks, you should be just fine, don't sweat it. . . . most of the crazy shredders use really heavy picks because you can control them easier when sweeping and alternate picking, I used to love mediums. . . . but in retrospect they suck. . . and I'm not nearly as fast with them. . . . so trust me stick to what you are with
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Not necessarily. You can play just about anything with any pick, with certain exceptions. The pick you use is more about comfort then technique. If you pick comfortably with heavy picks, then by all means use them. If you find you can play faster with medium picks, and that's your goal, then switch up. But generally speaking, there isn't X pick for technique Y. Just play with whatever's most comfortable.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Well, it might, but I don't notice a difference, though I have some general rules.

When playing rhythm on my acoustic, I use a Fender Medium, and when I solo, I use a Gator Grip 1.5 mm. Whenever I use my electric, no matter what, unless it's like hyper rhythmic, I use the Gator Grip 1.5 mm.