hey guys, i am doing an expiriment where i take two guitar pickups, (i am making them myself) and see what a stronger magnet will do to the sound produced by the amp. SO here is what i have done so far- pick a topic, then i have to state the guestion- What happens when i put stronger magnets into guitar pickups? Then, i have to do research- i have already done most, just one problem, i will be asking it later, then i make a hypothesis- I think the stronger magnet will make the sound much stronger, and pure. Then its offf to the expiriment, then i analyze the data and come to my conclusion. Ok, i need to know how to measure the sound produce by the pickups through the amp. Soooo if you know how to do this please tell me and keep it under 50 dollars, like if there is a computer software that i can use plugging my guitar into my computer, or something else, please tell m, any of your informatioon is great thank you
decibel reader

ive seen old people with them
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
decibel reader

ive seen old people with them

what the hell is a decibel reader,what do they do, and how much do they cost?
a decibel reader measures the amount of decibels

i dont know how much they cost
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
a decibel reader measures the amount of decibels

i dont know how much they cost

what are decibels? and can you use them on an amp to see which pickup is better?
if your school has a have decent physics classroom, sneak in there and get ahold of a http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/hs/gtb/LectureNotes/oscilliscope.jpg

Quote by chrispfried
what are decibels? and can you use them on an amp to see which pickup is better?

google! fficial&client=firefox-a">fficial&client=firefox-a">http://www.google.com/search?q=decibel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&client=firefox-a
is a logarithmic unit of measurement that expresses the magnitude of a physical quantity

and again, as in your last thread (I think it was you): define "better"
you are a conducting a scientific experiment based around sound and you don't know what a decibel is yet? i smell an f.... minus. anyway a decibel is how ound is measured google would probably be helpful with basic terms such as that.
yeah in our school, it is a little tiny rich town, so we dont have random things like that, and to buy one it is like 500 dollars, but ill check with my science teacher to seeif we have one, but i dont think we do because we have no need for one. oo yeah i looked up the decibel reader, the thing is probably what im looking for, but i think th pickups will have pretty much the same noise level. I need a way to tell the difference from them, like an oscilloscope, but it might just work i dont know.,..
yeah we never went over what a decibel is, but this is a learning expirience, ive googled it and looked over the decibel reader and im pretty sure i can use i just need to know if it is what i should use, feedback please!
there are more factors to take in here

how are you going to get some empirical measurements here? that is how are you going to get a constant "strum"

and when you change between pickups, how are you going to make sure they're at exactly the same position and pickup height and everything....and even there, theres going to be variations in tone due to pickup height
Quote by seljer
there are more factors to take in here

how are you going to get some empirical measurements here? that is how are you going to get a constant "strum"

and when you change between pickups, how are you going to make sure they're at exactly the same position and pickup height and everything....and even there, theres going to be variations in tone due to pickup height

see i have all this done, i just need to measure it, every one asks me this, ok, i took apart my shitty guitars pickups, and i just need to cut the wires. i am going to test the pickups one at a time, like put one in, test it , put the other one in test it, same place, about the same number of wraps, it is almost impossible to get it exatlyright on the pickups, everything the same, except im going to use different magnets for them, and im pretty sure ill just strum it like 20 times each string \, find the average decibel i guess, for each pickup, and get that as data. See im just stuck on how to measure it, ts a ****ing pain in the ass.
hooking an oscilloscope up is harder than you think, not only do you have the problem of a constant strum as seljer has said, but each note falls off pretty quickly, which means its hard to keep it stationary on the scopes screen, which makes any comparison practically impossible

the was to get around this, get a storage oscilloscope or one attached to a computer, so that you can review the output at a later point and not in real time; or use a recording interface and record the sound, then use music editing software to look at the actual sound file which will look like what you see on an oscilloscope - i know this can be done in things like adobe audition, or at least could in the older versions

something also to consider is that the magnet might not make every frequency stronger, you might get an increase in some areas and a decrease in others, so you might put a big magnet in and get crap sound because it is lifting the wrong frequencies and not sounding musical
Quote by image6
hooking an oscilloscope up is harder than you think, not only do you have the problem of a constant strum as seljer has said, but each note falls off pretty quickly, which means its hard to keep it stationary on the scopes screen, which makes any comparison practically impossible

the was to get around this, get a storage oscilloscope or one attached to a computer, so that you can review the output at a later point and not in real time; or use a recording interface and record the sound, then use music editing software to look at the actual sound file which will look like what you see on an oscilloscope - i know this can be done in things like adobe audition, or at least could in the older versions

something also to consider is that the magnet might not make every frequency stronger, you might get an increase in some areas and a decrease in others, so you might put a big magnet in and get crap sound because it is lifting the wrong frequencies and not sounding musical

that is what i need to find out, i need to see if the stronger magnet will make the sound more pure, or just destroy the sound because the magnet is pulling to ard on the strings
oscilloscope + ebow for constant note? not sure if the magnet in the Ebow will affect it though?

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Quote by The Downfall
Dude, rub baloons on your head and get a D it's not that hard.

i am an A student in honors biology, no thanks, i just needed a little help
Quote by chrispfried
hey guys, i am doing an expiriment where i take two guitar pickups, (i am making them myself) and see what a stronger magnet will do to the sound produced by the amp. SO here is what i have done so far- pick a topic, then i have to state the guestion- What happens when i put stronger magnets into guitar pickups? Then, i have to do research- i have already done most, just one problem, i will be asking it later, then i make a hypothesis- I think the stronger magnet will make the sound much stronger, and pure. Then its offf to the expiriment, then i analyze the data and come to my conclusion. Ok, i need to know how to measure the sound produce by the pickups through the amp. Soooo if you know how to do this please tell me and keep it under 50 dollars, like if there is a computer software that i can use plugging my guitar into my computer, or something else, please tell m, any of your informatioon is great thank you
you're in for a surprise.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.