I play with a band and we write our own music and I write a fair bit of the riffs. I don't know about anyone else but whenever I try to write a riff it usually isn't good but if I'm just messing around every now and then I'll stumble upon something cool.

The problem is that lately I've been writing riffs that don't really follow our type of music. Is this uncommon?
no no its not uncommon.
Besides if your the one writing so much, then those songs should suit your riffs anyway... shouldn't they?

stop concentrating so much when yo 'try to write a riff" and when you DO find a cool riff, be sure to jot it down.
Quote by mdwallin
no no its not uncommon.
Besides if your the one writing so much, then those songs should suit your riffs anyway... shouldn't they?

I get what you're saying, but the problem is that the the song styles change. Like we have 8 songs now, and the first one was like punk rock, the second was like starts off kinda pop punk (now I don't mean like Katy Perry or Sum 41 but it was kinda pop) and then that song goes into a heavy break down into an outro which also sounds completely different but it flows so it sounds awesome.
Then the 3rd, 5th, and 6th song were punk rock again, but then the fourth song was like hard rock but it wasn't punk at all. The seventh song was something which I find hard to describe but it's like a chord progression on a clean sound and so it sounds quite different although the verse is power chords so it sounds a little like us but that's kinda it.
Then the idea for the 8th song is to have a clean finger picking riff that is the intro and first and second verse and a chorus where it goes distorted. Then after there's a verse/chorus/verse/chorus it's the same kind of idea like in 'Train Kept a Rollin'' by Aerosmith in the aspect that everyone stops playing but the drums and it speeds up then it would go punk again then later back to the clean thing and a solo.
Basically what I'm trying to say is, I know you've gotta relax when you're writing but I can't manage to do that if I try to write a specific kind of riff. Like it's harder if I'm like 'yeah this is going to be a punk riff'.
I find that on some albums the guitar riffs are very similar except for a couple of songs which is lame but at the same time it kinda gives the album a specific sound whereas I'd say my music would be something different each song but I don't know if some of it would fit on an album.
Last edited by tom-the-lawn at Sep 24, 2008,
It sounds as though you're trying pretty hard to make your songs sound the same or in certain style. I'm not a big fan of this personally but understand the concept of an identifiable sound and why people do this. I still think you should get your head out of the box and write what you write. You will develop your own style through developing your style and sometimes this means trying different things and not limiting yourself.

You got to write what's in you. The melodies and riffs shouldn't be "punk rock" or "hard rock". They can be anything you want if you put it to the right rhythm and use the right textures.
Si
You clearly have specific ideas about what you want your music to sound like. Listen to the song in your head and play what you hear. This is very very difficult at first, but as with anything, the more you do it the better you'll get.
Quote by 20Tigers
It sounds as though you're trying pretty hard to make your songs sound the same or in certain style. I'm not a big fan of this personally but understand the concept of an identifiable sound and why people do this. I still think you should get your head out of the box and write what you write. You will develop your own style through developing your style and sometimes this means trying different things and not limiting yourself.

You got to write what's in you. The melodies and riffs shouldn't be "punk rock" or "hard rock". They can be anything you want if you put it to the right rhythm and use the right textures.

I think there's a bit of misunderstanding, I'm not trying to be like AC/DC make all the songs sound the same I'm just concerned that if they sound too different then maybe some people will only like some of the songs, actually man I don't even know maybe I should just go with it and see what happens.
Quote by tom-the-lawn
I'm just concerned that if they sound too different then maybe some people will only like some of the songs
If you stick purely to one sound, you will develop a small fanbase who likes everything you write. If you're diverse, some people will like a few songs immediately, but upon listening to the rest, may decide they like the other songs as well.

The post has been brought to you by hyperbole.
Quote by tom-the-lawn
...actually man I don't even know maybe I should just go with it and see what happens.

WOOHOO!
:P
Remember, you dont have to work on one album now, you can just work on a heap of songs, then when you feel the need to compile an album, put songs that sound good together on it.
ALSO
Some albums are cool if they start of kinda mellow... and slowly get real heavy!
LIke the 'Jesus and the Mary Chain' album, Darklands. (i think its like that :P)