Page 1 of 2
when i hear classical music i really think that the guys who wrote it must be geniouses. i'm not that into it but just in general for them to have come up with these sogns is increable. anyone else think that if people like mozart, beethoven, bach, wagner, tchaikovski etc. were alive today they would blow us all away?

i just think you don't see that type of genious nowadays. last band i can remember liek that would be zeppelin.
genius*...no 'o'
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
i think they are. the music they composed is far better than the music composed today
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
i agree with you TS.
i think classical guys are intense.
"prelude and fugue" it AMAZING by bach.
its got the most intense "harmonizing" ive ever heard.
its crazy
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Yeah, they were geniuses. I don't personally compare their composing abilities with anybody from recent times, mostly because most modern music is so different from the type of music they composed that it'd be very difficult to find an unbiased middle ground on which the compositional skills of one could be compared to the other.
Yeah they're pro.
But would they be able to produce awesome metal songs or something? You gotta wonder. :P
~Carl
well they werent geniuses. they were just to into music. actually ppl say that mozart had hdd making him unable to stay concentrated but when ppl hav that and find something that they enjoy doing they pretty much focus all their energy on that. the olympic swimmer michail phelps is one of those ppl with hdd and see how good he is in swimming
Quote by thedudemeister
i think they are. the music they composed is far better than the music composed today

This.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Silver_PHo3nix
well they werent geniuses. they were just to into music. actually ppl say that mozart had hdd making him unable to stay concentrated but when ppl hav that and find something that they enjoy doing they pretty much focus all their energy on that. the olympic swimmer michail phelps is one of those ppl with hdd and see how good he is in swimming

Do you mean ADHD?
no shit, man, everyone knows classical people are geniuses. apparently you aren't though, seeing as you can't spell the word genius.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by Superpartydude5
Definitely, Summer III from Vivaldi's four seasons pretty much represents compositional perfection to me.

+1, and an internet, and a e-cookie.

And my mother. **** it, have whatever you want.
Quote by Th6r6a6sH
The Pit is a reliable source of information
Quote by imdeth
My penis is tough. My penis is elite.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I like Luigi.

His cock is maximum.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

OPETH RULES.

Member of Åkerfeldtism

My last.fm
Quote by madbasslover
Do you mean ADHD?

No he means add. Adhd is hyperactive kids. you ever meet a kid who talks about stupid shit and just goes crazy? yeah thats adhd. add is not being able to do one thing.
Beethoven is, in my opinion, one of the finest minds in history. I can listen to Fur Elise all day. It is my single favorite piece of music.

I am currently taking piano class in my high school because I figured it'd be nice to learn to play a little bit and I'm being introduced to this mass of classical works. I'm absolutely amazed by some of it.
Quote by thomaserak
no shit, man, everyone knows classical people are geniuses. apparently you aren't though, seeing as you can't spell the word genius.

watever

and yeah it may be harder to compare classical music to modern music but looking at complexity and end result i just think that if these classicals composers were alive today they would bring a new meaning to metal music etc. and classical music is way more complex. the harmonizing alone on some songs i find extraordinary.
Listen to Yngwie Malmsteen. His entire style is based on Paganini. I remember an old video where Slayer says that they listen to Bach all the time. I personally love Mozart, Chopin, Brahms, on and on. Beethoven was very talented, especially considering that he was deaf.

Take into consideration that most of the classical composers were taught music from a VERY young age. As young as 2-3. Mozart was playing for Kings and Queens of europe as a child.

If you get the chance you should rent 'Amadaeus'. Great movie. I don't know how close to a biography of Mozart it is. But a very good movie.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
Quote by Silver_PHo3nix

Damn, I didn't know they had computers back then.
Quote by The_rylan
Listen to Yngwie Malmsteen. His entire style is based on Paganini. I remember an old video where Slayer says that they listen to Bach all the time. I personally love Mozart, Chopin, Brahms, on and on. Beethoven was very talented, especially considering that he was deaf.

Take into consideration that most of the classical composers were taught music from a VERY young age. As young as 2-3. Mozart was playing for Kings and Queens of europe as a child.

If you get the chance you should rent 'Amadaeus'. Great movie. I don't know how close to a biography of Mozart it is. But a very good movie.

i think amadaeus is fairly accurate as far as his sense of humor. he really did write songs about farts.
yeah they were special cuz you gotta think, a lot of the concepts we use in music today were created or displayed at a high degree by them. I mean a lot of metal, if you were to take the distortion and stuff out would sound like a bastardized form of classical music (not all but some). That's why I think the S&M album worked real well for metallica lol.

And you gotta think, how many people can create music that's still played regularly like 300 or 400 years later? I think it would be crazy to imagine someone 400 yrs in the future listening to music ppl are making now, I don't think any musician in our era could have that kind of longevity
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
i agree with you TS.
i think classical guys are intense.
"prelude and fugue" it AMAZING by bach.
its got the most intense "harmonizing" ive ever heard.
its crazy

Which one? lol. I wholeheartedly agree. There's not one piece by Bach that hasn't amazed me. Not all composers though, some classical period stuff just bores me (I don't care much for Mozart). Sometimes I wonder how the 'great composers' would react to hearing a bit of modern music, rock or jazz.
I personally think they are overrated by people who don't understand them or their music. However, they are still absolutely incredible.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by shigidab0p
Which one? lol. I wholeheartedly agree. There's not one piece by Bach that hasn't amazed me. Not all composers though, some classical period stuff just bores me (I don't care much for Mozart). Sometimes I wonder how the 'great composers' would react to hearing a bit of modern music, rock or jazz.

lmao that wud actually be really interesting. give bach some zeppelin or metallica see what happens.

and LightxGrenade, im not so sure about that. i can see some bands being played a fair bit in the future. maybe not from right now but classic rock seems like its holding up pretty well but we'll see. actually we'll be dead so we won't.
Last edited by Les Paul57 at Sep 24, 2008,
If you're really into the music and ur not doing it for the money you play or compose classical music.
you know Mozart composed twinkle twinkle little star when he was 5 years old FIVE YEARS OLD.
listen to that shit its amazing
I think they were very well musically educated, and very creative. Debussy is my favorite composer, but I wouldn't call him a genius. The only composer I would call a genius is Mozart.

Mozart had a special ability that very few, if any, composers in music history have had. Take for instance, his Requiem in D Minor, K. 626. The Requiem is scored for 2 basset horns in F, 2 bassoons, 2 trumpets in D, 3 trombones (alto, tenor & bass), timpani (2 drums), organ, and violins, viola and basso continuo (cello, double bass). The vocal forces include soprano, alto, tenor, and bass soloists. Mozart had an ability to compose polyphonic music for this all in his head to the very smallest detail. It's not like he wrote down the subject on paper, and added in the other parts. He could compose it as if you were pressing play on an orchestra piece in iTunes, but this was in his mind. Think of fugues as an example. He could even improvise fugues on the keyboard as a child.
Quote by Holy Katana
Dude, classical music is still being composed. Ever heard of Philip Glass?

That's neoclassical

Classical is actually a period, not a style, and when people refer to "classical music" it's actually music from classical, baroque, and romantic era's.
Quote by The_rylan
Listen to Yngwie Malmsteen. His entire style is based on Paganini.
I'll be honest, I think Paganini is really overrated. Great violinist, but I think he's a boring composer, and Malmsteen really doesn't have anywhere near the musical knowledge of classical composers. Sh*t orchestration, sh*t phrasing, sh*t dynamics and his "fugue" isn't even a fugue.
Quote by Holy Katana
Dude, classical music is still being composed. Ever heard of Philip Glass?

It's not really "classical" music anymore, though its in the same tradition. I don't really like Glass, or minimalism in general though. My favourite recent composer is Karl Jenkins, his "Armed Man" mass is brilliant.

Quote by The Madcap
Think of fugues as an example. He could even improvise fugues on the keyboard as a child.

Apparently Bach could too :P Amazing stuff.
Last edited by shigidab0p at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by Superpartydude5
That's neoclassical

Classical is actually a period, not a style, and when people refer to "classical music" it's actually music from classical, baroque, and romantic era's.
Neoclassical is when composers try to write the same style as the classical era, which isn't really what Glass is doing. His music has more parallels with Electronica than Classical music. He's basically a classically trained pianist, but he doesn't write neoclassical.
Quote by schecter_guy
i think amadaeus is fairly accurate as far as his sense of humor. he really did write songs about farts.
It was accurate about his humor, arrogance, and compositional abilities (when Salieri said that when he wrote music, it was as if he was just doing dictation).

Anyways, I do not think Classical musicians would like Metal at all. They would view Metal musicians as heretical, and just very bad musicians in general.
Quote by Superpartydude5
That's neoclassical

It's minimalist, actually. Neoclassical is like early Stravinsky, Bartók, and Prokofiev. Classical is both a period and a style of classical music. Classical music is also a term used to describe Western art music from both the past and present.
Quote by Les Paul57
when i hear classical music i really think that the guys who wrote it must be geniouses. i'm not that into it but just in general for them to have come up with these sogns is increable. anyone else think that if people like mozart, beethoven, bach, wagner, tchaikovski etc. were alive today they would blow us all away?

i just think you don't see that type of genious nowadays. last band i can remember liek that would be zeppelin.

You're not the only one who thinks that way. Mozart was most definetely a genius.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Lately I've been getting away from the classical era. Sometimes it tends to be too predictable. I still listen to Mozart and Beethoven, but that's about it, now. I've been listening even more to Debussy, Ravel, etc. Very unique use of harmony that you can't find in the classical era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-Dk9Jd0bA

And Debussy wrote my favorite opera, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loBMJOlIBpM
I'm sure some of the more legendary ones were, at least musically. But most probably weren't. I think alot of people on here tend to have the misconception that ALL classical music is infinitely superior to ALL of today's pop music (I'm using pop as a general term, including rock, metal, blues, jazz, etc.). I think this comes from the fact that classical music (again, a general term refering to baroque, classical, romantic, etc.) SOUNDS much more complex than rock music. In reality, though, just as there are thousands of rock tunes based on the simple i-iv-v progression, You can boil most classical music to very rudimentary elements. That being said, there certainly are some classical pieces that are truly works of art, such as Beehtoven's 6th symphony, or Motzart's Requiem. But like all genres, there is a fair amount of classical music that is uninteresting, generic crap which doesen't take a genuis IQ to compose.

And as far as Zeppelin be musical genuises.... not that I don't love Zeppelin, but
Quote by The Madcap
Lately I've been getting away from the classical era. Sometimes it tends to be too predictable. I still listen to Mozart and Beethoven, but that's about it, now. I've been listening even more to Debussy, Ravel, etc. Very unique use of harmony that you can't find in the classical era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-Dk9Jd0bA

And Debussy wrote my favorite opera, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loBMJOlIBpM

I love Impressionism. It's so floaty.
Page 1 of 2