I have a question on guitars with dual humbucker pick-ups. What are the advantages? i seen some strat's with a HSS setup or HSH and I was wondering if there was something i would be missing out on if i choose the HSS. I was simply thinking with the pickup selector i can choose the normal strat sound with the singles or switch to the humbuckers for a warm deeper sound.

With applying proper playing and scales for my type of playstyles "metal, southern rock, shred, etc" of course

Sorry if it doesn't seem clear i tried to summarize it the best i can.
Humbuckers are less noisy than single coils, and are usually better suited for Metal and Hard rock styles (although ive seen a few people shred it up on SSS guitars *cough* yngwie)

They usually give a bigger sound, which is pretty common in rock music. HSS strats are pretty friggen versatile, so if you like the feel you cant really go wrong.
It's just a preference thing. HSS is common on strats for a little extra kick in the bridge, HSH is popular because some people like a jazzier tone in the neck. SH is common on telecasters for the same reason. Just play a few if you can and figure out what you like.
A humbucker in the neck position might be better if you want a warm, deeper sound. The bridge pup in HSS is usually pretty spanky. But I'm not a big single-coil fan, not much experience there. I'd just go play a few.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Roc8995
It's just a preference thing. HSS is common on strats for a little extra kick in the bridge, HSH is popular because some people like a jazzier tone in the neck. SH is common on telecasters for the same reason. Just play a few if you can and figure out what you like.

+1

with HSH you're gaining the neck humbucker tone, but losing the neck single coil tone. vice-versa with HSS.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
humbuckers pqn single coils imo, go for a H-H setup, for you styles of music it is the best.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by Mix Master
could i use the power of both the humbuckers at the same time?

No, but you can use one coil from both humbuckers at the same time, but not the full power of both.

Personally, I prefer a humbucker in the neck position for soloing and stuff.
Quote by Tubyboulin
(although ive seen a few people shred it up on SSS guitars *cough* yngwie)

Stacked humbuckers ;-) Looks like SC, but is a HB
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Stacked humbuckers ;-) Looks like SC, but is a HB

Yes, but it's physically impossible to get a true humbucker tone out of the stacked humbuckers, the coils and stuff aren't spaced enough to give it the same effect.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Yes, but it's physically impossible to get a true humbucker tone out of the stacked humbuckers, the coils and stuff aren't spaced enough to give it the same effect.

Don't really think distance would matter. It's all about magnetism.

What different effect would be produced?
^ it picks up the signal across a wider range of the string, so sounds fuller...

Quote by XianXiuHong
No, but you can use one coil from both humbuckers at the same time, but not the full power of both.

what? of course you can. o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you all guys, i'm mostly new at humbucker guitars since i started out with fender and now i happened to be looking at some HSS strats and the JacksonKVX10
Quote by Mix Master
could i use the power of both the humbuckers at the same time?

You can use both together but it's not the greatest of sounds IMO, don't be fooled into thinking it'll give you "moar br00talz"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by XianXiuHong

Personally, I prefer a humbucker in the neck position for soloing and stuff.

dude wtf? of course you can use both humbuckers at once!
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by steven seagull
You can use both together but it's not the greatest of sounds IMO, don't be fooled into thinking it'll give you "moar br00talz"

agreed, i meant to write something along those lines but forgot.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
That's good to know is there any use for using both of the humbuckers through distortion channel?
Not really, tends to go muddy and indistinct - works better for clean tones IMO.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Using both humbuckers works best on a guitar with separate tone and volume for each of the pickup. Like Les Paul for an example. You can mix the treble from the bridge pickup and the bass from neck however you want. I love messing around with that setup.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Sep 27, 2008,
HSS = super versatile. You get to keep that neck single coil sound, the quack sound between it and the middle single coil, and you've got some power when using the HB. If you can't afford a bunch of guitars to best handle anything you want to play then I think a HSS setup is of awesome value. Just don't expect it to sound as thick and warm as a LP type guitar though.
^ yeah, for most versatile guitar, IMO, it's a toss-up between HSH or HSS, depending on whether you need the neck single coil or humbucker sound more.

Quote by hminh87
Using both humbuckers works best on a guitar with separate tone and volume for each of the pickup. Like Les Paul for an example. You can mix the treble from the bridge pickup and the bass from neck however you want. I love messing around with that setup.

agreed, i was just going to say that earlier only i cba... also i like the "both humbuckers on" tone with my LP for very vintage-sounding overdrive... sounds really nice and warm.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?