smash it on the ground and then tell us what color it is
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
For a minute there, I thought I was going to see a picture with some actual wood grain in it but the guitars have solid paint jobs.

Given that Squire is Fender's lesser brand, I'd venture that the bodies are made of basswood.
affinity series are usually alder.

but. i dont like starter packs. and THAT ad says hardwood. and hardwood usually means plywood.

so.

maybe look for separates. like a yamaha pacifia 112J HHS strat and a microcube amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
why would a guitar that is priced higher be made of plywood (if it is) and a lower priced one is made of Alder? In your opinion what is the best wood? I have a friend that could help me with building a guitar. I like to play a lot of classic rock like pink floyd, tom petty, etc.
the site just says "solid hardwood" it's either alder or a low quality basswood.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Marine grade 12-ply plywood. At least that's what my Strat copy is.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
my older squire strat (like 2004) is alder, and the newer one i got is some cheap ass shitty chinese plywood job. The new ones suck compared with the old ones (cept for the necks), and since the old ones werent that good, well you draw your own conclusiuons from that.
Hardwood = plywood.
Don't ask us what the best wood is, you'll get a million different answers, all equally correct. I personally like a walnut body with maple neck and ebony fingerboard, alder with maple neck and fingerboard, and mahogany with maple top (neck and fingerboard can vary slightly on this one) about equally, but all for different reasons. Go find out what wood types YOU like best. Alder is a good standard choice though, very balanced sound.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
the site just says "solid hardwood" it's either alder or a low quality basswood.

when it's basswood thet'll say basewood, same goes for alder.

in my experience, i've found affinities to be alder. but i'd never chance it even if the ad is just a misprint.

and TS at the same budget, i've given you better choices,

if you have more money then what's your budget?

if you dont have more money then know that building a guitar costs more in most cases than buying a guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

how do I know what each wood sounds like? if there is a link please post it. I don't mind reading.
my budget is like $200 a week. That is what I am getting paid from my job and I don't need to rush into this. I am going to try and do most of the work by myself and my friend.
Then take your time and try lots of guitars. The more you try, the more you get a feel for the sound regardless of the pickups in the guitar, so you know what woods you like and also what scale, neck profile, what kinds of pickups sound good to your ears, etc. If you have time, wait a while so you really know what you want. Don't wait too long though, I bet you can't wait to get started
warmoth says that a hard maple can be brittle? should this be something i have to worry about?
Hardwood = Deciduous wood (alder, mahogany, basswood, maple)

Softwood = Coniferous wood (plyboard, white pine, sawdust+glue particle board)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i'm pretty sure affinitys are alder

i was looking on the site one day to find out. i know my affinity is alder and I think they all are
Quote by MESAexplorer
Hardwood = Deciduous wood (alder, mahogany, basswood, maple)

Softwood = Coniferous wood (plyboard, white pine, sawdust+glue particle board)

that may be true. but but generally a company won't list an alder, basswood, agathis guitar as "hardwood", instead they list the wood type used.

in the past when they dont have a wood type to even list, they put hardwood.

with that said, my affinity was alder, but again that's how it was listed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62