what if your amp doesn't have an fx loop?
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Where would the heat go? That thing must get RED FRIGGIN HOT!!!

Anyway.....what do you guys think of the Weber MiniMass?

Or should I blow some serious cash on a Hotplate?
looks cool. I'd like to try one of those on my amp because my ears will get blown out at any volume level above 2-3.
Well, the one thing that raises a flag for me is that it work through the FX loop.

Most other boxes that perform this kind of function actually hook up to your speaker outputs and basically act as a transformer, reducing the overall speaker volume, yet providing your amp with the proper impedance (resistance) so It won't blow up on you.

This seems like a quick and dirty way of doing things. Also, I'm no electronics expert, but I beleive the "return" comes before the power section, so the Power Tubes aren't being driven as hard as they should be in order to get the tone he's describing. It probably still sounds good, but it is probably not exactly what he's describing.

Also it just occurred to me you could do the exact same thing with a volume pedal.
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
I swear this came up here once already? A couple of the real sharp fellas wrote it off as being a volume knob and NOT an actual attenuator...

But don't listen to me, I honestly have no clue. Sounds like a fake since I remember someone mentioning "No that goes through the FX loop, it's just a volume knob."
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Sep 25, 2008,
Yup, it's just a volume knob in a box - it's not an attenuator.

Mildly useful if you have a non-master volume amp with an FX loop and want a master volume control, utterly useless if you have a master volume on your amp or don't have an FX loop.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's a huge piece of crap. Waste of time, waste of money. If you have an amp with no gain knob or master volume knob that somehow has an effects loop, your bigger worry is that whoever designed your amp is on crack.
If you want an attenuator, get a real attenuator. The Weber ones are good, the Hotplate is good if you can get one used at a decent price, the Marshall one is overpriced. The Ho attenuator is supposed to be good but it's pretty new and I haven't tried it yet.
I've also heard some people use a volume pedal instead of an attenuator between the amp and cab.

I have my doubts though....
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I've also heard some people use a volume pedal instead of an attenuator between the amp and cab.

You'd blow up the volume pedal almost immediately. The pots used in volume pedals are rated for 1/2 watt at best, and usually not even that much.
Glad I haven't tried it myself then:p Also iliminates the possibility of using that gimmick between the amp and cab.
WTLTL 2011
Looks like a fire hazard. Thats just a potentiometer in a box... way to go. :?
Its like if you took an effects pedal, turned off the effects, and lowered the levels knob.
Quote by Mark G

People have used them in the effects loop as a master volume. Me being one of them, and its a good way to boost the hell out of your preamp tubes but keep the volume low. But it doesnt effect the poweramp tubes in the slightest. And as stated putting it after the poweramp is asking for trouble.