Bring yourselves to spend huge amounts of money on gear?

I understand and know all about the GAS aspect of it, and I certainly have expensive taste probably just like everyone else here, but how do you justify the costs? What makes you say "all right, it's OK to spend this amount of money?" What's "a lot" of money to you, and what's the most you've spend / are willing to spend on a single piece of equipment?
You're*
I have trouble actually spending the money. I felt a little bad after spending 900 on my PRS. Much better than 3000, but still.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The most I've spent on guitar stuff was 700 for my Ovation, but that was with money my grandma left me in her will. However, once I am an orthodontist, I am building a room in my house just for guitar stuff. I wanna buy a Diezel amp, and those are like $3000 just for the head. But if I'm making $400k a year, then no big whoop.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
If it's worth it, you don't feel so jipped.
I'm saving up for a 575$ Laney amp. It's got an amazing sound, and I love it so I'm certain I won't feel jipped.
Because some people dont do anything but play guitar all day and they dont have anything else to spend money on
Read my signature...

I buy what people suggest, and what I think will serve me well.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Because I love guitar, and consider most of the things I buy as an investment. I can't really go to school for music without an instrument can I (granted I'm going for theory but I'd lay odds I'll have to preform at one time).

That's like asking my dad why he spends so much on cars. He'll never get anything out of it other than personal joy, and maybe a few bucks when he wins at the drag strip, but that won't even cover the gas he used driving there. We spend the money because it's our thing, and we love it.

But the most I'd be willing to spend on a guitar right now would be maybe $2,000. The most I'd ever spend on a guitar would really depend, I mean if I was a bedroom player for the rest of my life I probably would just have one nice guitar and a few others to fool around with. If I was touring and making big bucks, then I could see spending $7,000 on a guitar. Possibly even more on an amp. It really depends on the situation.
Quote by SG RocKeR4485
Because some people dont do anything but play guitar all day and they dont have anything else to spend money on

This.
I have a hard time spending the money sometimes. I think the most expensive thing I baught was my ESP Eclipse, which came up to around $1500USD after tax. I get my gear different ways though, cause I don't have a steady job. I started getting home taught when I was 15 years old, because my school suggested me to leave. Since I didn't have a steady schedule, I got a job building Ford valve bodys. When I worked there I baught my Dean DFHCFH for myself. Then I worked for a Dodge dealer detailing cars and such when I was 16 years old, which baught me some stuff, although I forget everything I baught when I worked there. I turned 17 and started working with landscaping, and helping somebody 'flip' houses, so I was doing alot of different stuff like plumbing, sheetrocking, rebuilding small garages ect. ect.
Now I'm still 17 years old, but I don't work steadily, just whenever I'm asked to help out. When I don't buy gear, I ussually get it as a gift or something. (Like birthdays & christmas)

Within the next 2-3 months I plan on getting quite a few things, including a new guitar and amp which will then be my most expensive piece of gear. Other then myself, I know alot of people here work alot, and make pretty good money doing whatever it is that they do. I feel the best way to get gear is by earning it, it makes you appreciate it much, much more.
I buy the best i can possibly afford at the time. If that means spending a bit extra then so be it, because at the end of the day i wont be saying "if only id spent that little extra".

Ive done that in the past, gone the "cheaper" route and regretted it later, so going all out (so to speak) in the first place has actually saved me money in the long run.
I was smart enough when I was a kid to realize that of you work hard in school you can buy what you want when you get older.
Im still a student atm, but I work weekends so I save up my money to buy my gear, other than guitar gear I only spend my money on Beer really, so I've got a nice little bit of money over!

Tomo
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Here is what i think: Its better to spend 4000$ on 2 guitars, than on 10 guitars. So if you want to buy a guitar (and your're not a complete newbie), then certainly go for a high end. It will satisfy your needs longer, and it will reduce the GAS more. If you cant afford that, then dont buy anything. Wait till you can buy your dream guitar and keep playing the guitar you already have in the meanwhile. Do NOT buy something that is just a little bit better than the previous axe. Its not worth to spend money on that. IF you spend money, just buy good stuff. Agreed, you will spend alot of money, but not on crap.

I kinda like the 1500-2000$ price range. You can buy almost any guitar for that second hand. There is alot top notch and professional gear out there that you can buy for that amount of money. And guitars that are more expensive than that second hand are just too expensive. The only guitars i'd pay more than 2000$ for would be John Suhr guitars.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
i still live at home with my parents and work fulltime now so i don't have a lot of expenses.

while i have a good financial income i force myself *not* to buy expensive gear right away but rather buy gear spread around multiple months.

that way i dont feel sorry at all when finally buying that stuff i wanted for months
it's like saving up for it!

atm i consider 500 euro average, 1000 euro high-end and 1500++ professional grade gear. i try to stick in the 1000 range
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Quote by LP_CL
Here is what i think: Its better to spend 4000$ on 2 guitars, than on 10 guitars...

+1 Plus if you buy secondhand you always get your money back (sometimes more) if you decide to sell.

I would rather play an Agile and live on my own then live at home as an adult.
Quote by Survivalism
...how do you justify the costs? What makes you say "all right, it's OK to spend this amount of money?"
Rule #1 : You only live once

When something is great, when it feels or sounds just right, after factoring in rule #1, price matters less and less.

There may be times when you regret a big purchase, I think thats normal. As long as the time you spend with said purchase is worth it, its money well spent.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
In the UK if you smoke a pack of 20 cigarettes every day of the year it'll cost you over £2,000, if you drink 5 pints of beer a week it'll cost you over £700 a year.

Now that's difficult to justify :p
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
because I wouldn't spend the money on anything else worthwhile and I've saved up specifically to get that item, so the money never had any other destination.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by steven seagull
In the UK if you smoke a pack of 20 cigarettes every day of the year it'll cost you over £2,000

~£2900 i think, which is roughly €4000

Thats like 4 american fenders!
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
ya its tough to spend large sums of money, especially if you're a poor student like me haha. I dunno, guitar is one of my few hobbies so I spend what I need to spend on it.
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
I really want new gear but also don't really want to spend the money.
I won't be able to go on much longer with what I have.

I want a Tube Amp (most likely Valveking 112), some kind of Les Paul or SG (Agile AL-3100, Epiphone G-400, used Gibson?), and effects. Wah, Delay, OD and/or distortion, maybe a Chorus. I don't know whether to go Multi-Effects or single.

I'll end up spending around 1000 dollars or more on this, but I don't really want to.
Quote by steven seagull
In the UK if you smoke a pack of 20 cigarettes every day of the year it'll cost you over £2,000, if you drink 5 pints of beer a week it'll cost you over £700 a year.

Now that's difficult to justify :p

+1

also, as long as the mega-rich, oligarchs etc. keep buying yachts, ferraris, rolexes etc. etc. etc., i'm not going to feel to bad about spending a few thousand on a guitar rig, which i actually use for fun rather than to just show off how faboulously wealthy i am...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
because I wouldn't spend the money on anything else worthwhile and I've saved up specifically to get that item, so the money never had any other destination.

also a very good point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
which i actually use for fun rather than to just show off how faboulously wealthy i am...

oh. i just get things to show off how wealthy i am.

at least guitars dont crash in value, like cars and video games do.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah. well if you buy new they crash a bit (and some crash more than others), but then they kind of level out... unlike cars which keep falling...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
At this point, i've upgraded pretty much as far as i can. Just look at my gear if you don't believe me. So any purchases i make will either be to change my sound, or add to it.
All i want now is a really good single coil guitar - a Fender Jaguar for instance - and a couple of pedals. How i've justified it so far has been that, i want to sound good. Simple. I dont want to sound like those wankers in GC playing a cheapo BC Rich through a Spider 3. And i think i have a good sound.

So, sound is my motivator. If i could get as good of a tone out of a cheap amp, and a low end guitar, i'd go for that in a heartbeat.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.