So ive been looking into getting a new guitar, but i really cant decide what to look into getting. I play anything under the sun, and lately ive been getting into more bluesy and jazzy stuff. But i still play some heavier types. Although i do have my RG for that, i want something really versatile.

Budget would probably be around 600-ish?

I was thinking something that might work for the jazz and blues but also be good for alternative/progressive (Muse-ish). Maybe HSS? I thought of that, but i dont want to lose the availablility of the strat single coils in the bridge. Sooo.. i'm stuck.

I've considered teles, which i like the feel of the neck and overall feel, and i also like the cleans, but the dirty sounds arent the greatest.

Ive considered strats, and i like the feel of them and everything, but the decision between HSS and SSS is a hard one. Would i still be able to get what i wanted with a single-coil in the bridge?

Ive also considered PRS's (SE line) and i like it, humbucker sounds with the strat feel, but then i lose the single coil sounds..

So, the predicament is killing me.

Thanks for reading if you made it through it, please help me.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I have the PRS SE Soapbar Maple II which has P90s in it.

Got for $540 from a local store.

I play stuff ranging from Opeth and Between the Buried and Me to Lynyrd Skynyrd and Guns N Roses.

Gives off amazing clean tones and the neck pickup for it can really scorch, though they're a little noisy. Going to get an EMG P90 shaped set for Christmas.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by Shining_Yrael
I have the PRS SE Soapbar Maple II which has P90s in it.

Got for $540 from a local store.

I play stuff ranging from Opeth and Between the Buried and Me to Lynyrd Skynyrd and Guns N Roses.

Gives off amazing clean tones and the neck pickup for it can really scorch, though they're a little noisy. Going to get an EMG P90 shaped set for Christmas.

So even the P90s can pull off Opeth?

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Well, yeah. I mean, my amp is like $321 and my guitar is $540, so obviously the equipment isn't going to get picture perfect Opeth tones, but in one of the bands I'm in we do some Opeth stuff and it all comes across pretty well.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by Shining_Yrael
Well, yeah. I mean, my amp is like $321 and my guitar is $540, so obviously the equipment isn't going to get picture perfect Opeth tones, but in one of the bands I'm in we do some Opeth stuff and it all comes across pretty well.

Nice, how about the idea of a double humbucker PRS and coil tap the neck?

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Maybe a 1980's jap stratocaster?

the bridge pickup on a strat is very glassy,
if you want something fuller, maybe you could buy a stacked humbucker for it?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Nice, how about the idea of a double humbucker PRS and coil tap the neck?

Yeah, that works, or just get a Standard or Custom SE and get Duncans or something like that installed. I had a Custom with jb/jazz setup and sounded dead on to Opeth.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by Andrew128900
You could get an HSS and coil tap it.

+18

This is probably your best option as you basically get a humbucker and single coil in the bridge
LTD EC400VF...Its got a JB/59 set and plays nice. Very versitale nice cleans Jazz,Blues,Rock and Metal handles all great.
Sounds like you could use a HSS Fender Stratocaster

Fender makes amazing instrument
I was never interested in them until I played one.

Mmm.. the versatility.