Yeah I commissioned Darren Hippner from upstate Washington to build an 8 string for me.

Here's some pics: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=5823941&albumId=2121882

The reason why i opened this thread is because I wanted to know if anyone knew of some good classical (or otherwise, as long as they deal with nylon guitars (I know metal bands like Meshuggah and jazz guys like Charlie Hunter and Ron Eschete -_-;).

I only know of Paul Galbraith, Andrew Shulman, and Brian Canzanella, but I absolutely love their playing. Galbraith's cds for his lute suites and violin stuff has been in my car for a super long while now.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
why thank ya =]
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
That's crazy awesome dude, I wouldn't even know what to do with one of those beasts. I don't even know what the strings are tuned to haha.
Anyways, really nice guitar.
Cool guitar! how does she sound?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Haha I actually get the guitar in about 3-4 days, so I haven't gotten a chance to try it out. I found Mr. Hippner through Andrew Shulman himself, who I contacted to ask where he gets his guitars from. Andy pointed me in Hippner's direction and I got hooked up and got similar specs for my guitar (but I got to choose my own woods...which was Engelmann Spruce top, Indian rosewood sides and back, brazilian rosewood binding, bridge and headstock, and a snakewood strip in the headstock for snazz =] )

To answer tona's question, the top 6 strings are the 6 strings of a normal guitar. My 7th string is a B and my 8th string is an F#. If need be down the road, I could possibly shift the 6 normal strings over and have a higher top string...but I chose the 2 lower strings for tonal reasons (I personally thought such a small nylon string wouldn't have a nice, strong tone to work with (that being said, i've never tried a higher string like that before))
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Nice nice axe. What's the purpose of those 2 extra holes on each side of the upper bout? At least from the pics, they sure look like holes, with binding? behind them?
It's sorta a trend recently with a lot of high-end luthier-made guitars that soundholes are placed up there. Beneteau acoustics (like the one Bob Ross plays on) have that as well.

http://www.beneteauguitars.com/

as far as a specific reason for it, I would think it's to help the player with hearing what he's playing more clearly, but I don't know why there's two as opposed to just one.

edit: here's some stuff I found from the Acoustic Guitar magazine forum. Obviously I cant link it, so ill quote it. Also, I guess theyre called soundports and not soundholes and they can provide a rich tone. Just google "soundholes on sides of guitars" (without quotes) and you'll see this thread on the very top.

I spent some time a few years ago looking at the whole subject, and wrote an article that just came out in 'American Lutherie' magazine. As usual, things can get pretty complicated in detail, but the short answer, as far as I can tell, is:
1) a side port does not seem to add appreciably to the power output of the guitar overall
2) it can change the timbre; adding a little power at some frequencies aqnd costing power at others.
3) even a small port that faces the player might make a useful 'monitor' is a noisy room.

Research on this stuff is onging. Some folks feel it's almost a miraculous improvement, and others don't notice any difference. As with anything else, it's probably best if you can try before you buy.

A couple of friends and I did a blind test on one of my own builds. One of us would strum the guitar as consistently as we could, about 1 strum per second. Another would place his hand over the side soundport and remove it at irregular time intervals. The third would stand with this back to us and try to detect when the port was covered or uncovered. We took turns in each of these three roles and each of us had the same experience as we listened...

From more than 20 feet away, none of us was able to tell when the port was covered or uncovered. Surprisingly we were unable to hear any subtle change in the tone whatsoever. The covering and uncovering of the port was completely imperceptible.

As you got a little close than 20 feet, approaching 15 feet, you could begin to clearly hear a difference. When the port was uncovered, the tone of the instrument was louder and richer.

As we got closer still, around 8-12 feet, this effect increased dramatically and became very obvious, and for each of us preferable, that the sound would be louder and richer with the port uncovered.

Cheers,
Matt [Smile]
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Last edited by thepagesaretorn at Sep 25, 2008,
Quote by thepagesaretorn
It's sorta a trend recently with a lot of high-end luthier-made guitars that soundholes are placed up there. Beneteau acoustics (like the one Bob Ross plays on) have that as well.

http://www.beneteauguitars.com/

haha, it's Don Ross Benetau guitars make a lot of funky guitars. Like Don Ross' fan fret baritone guitar. that thing's a beauty. too bad i couldn't get a good picture of it at the concert. the lighting was dark and they asked us not to use flash.

anyway, thanks for the info! i was wondering if it made any tonal difference as well. All the acoustic guitars i've seen with soundhole ports so far have been at the side facing the player, so i assumed it's only purpose was to let the player hear themselves better.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
hahaha whoops! I do that when talking with friends a lot too. It makes for funky imagery when you think of a painter with a ridiculous fro and a quiet persona playing guitar =]
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12