i have tried linux before and i think is a pretty cool system to learn new commands in unix and is a better environment faster and really nice and i would love to learn unix

but my only problem with lnux is that is not good for games since almost nobody makes games for the platform in linux so you either have to get cedega and winex and the support is not that great for those 2 programs

my teacher gave us a virtual pc program that we use to run other operating systems such as winxp,win98,win95,vista and you can run the os while you using another OS thats the only images he has for that

i was wondering is it possible to run xp inside linux and be able to play games like that?or what other alternatives are to playing games inside windows or runnig certain programs that require windows

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
You can run windows apps in linux using Wine

keep in mind you won't get as good performance when emulating another os enviroment in another os (if that makes any sense to you)
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
It's easiest to install both operating systems if your gonna be gaming. Just google dual boot linux and xp (or whatever you want) and there are plenty of tutorials.

i know how to dual boot but is just a pain in the ass. some problems i have is the partitions type i cant remember what conflict i had but it went something like this
i had partition type A and then i had partition type B for example isaved music in partition type A which is linux OS then i booted with partition type B i could not see that partition on windows

keep in mind you won't get as good performance when emulating another os enviroment in another os (if that makes any sense to you)

kind of can you elaborate it a little more on it.i know the OS linux uses resources the program that emulates XP is using resources as well and actually running the game inside the OS uses the resources but with a fast hardware i dont know if you would have same problem
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I dual boot them because it's the only way to get the best out of your system for the gaming. I keep stuff I share between, like in your example music, on a separate partition to them both. 1st partition I've got XP and associated programs/games, 2nd partition Linux and associated programs, 3rd partition music, videos, random crap I download etc etc.

It really is the easiest way to do it if you really want to be able to game properly.

well it seems i have to dual boot i read on the vmware and is not that great for gaming

what distribution are you using?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
just **** PC games and get a PS3, problem solved.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
just **** PC games and get a PS3, problem solved.

nah man you cant get the games for free and some games are only for pc such as rome total war most strategy games are for pc only and on pc you get to modify the game and multitask while you do other stuff
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Short answer: it depends on the game.

Long answer: if you're trying to play 'modern' 3D games then you won't have much luck. The reason is because the virtualization program (vmware or whatever your teacher has for you) needs to provide access to the 3D card and I don't know of any that can do that yet. I've heard that vmware is working on limited support for 3D but it's just not there yet.

Like others have said, you can try to run your games using Wine. I've had limited success with this and it depends on the game. I got GTA Vice City to install and run but I had sound issues. So your mileage may vary.

Your best bet is really to dual boot. I know you said you've had problems with that, but if you can figure out the issues then it really is the best way to go. If your issues are with partitions then you can always get another hard drive and use one for Linux, the other for Windows.
sorry guys i havent answered in along time been kind of busy

well i been looking around and im trying to find a good distribution?
something easy for me i tried before mandriva 2006 and it was fairly easy to use

im looking for a unix distribution that makes it easy to install stuff like installers and that sort of stuff i dont know how to install using the tar and other stuff i know some dos though

and a distribution that has alot of programs

i was checking this one out does anybody know of similar distributions?
http://ultimateedition.info/ubuntu_ultimate_gamers/#Gamers
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff