Alright, so I've wanted to get into bass for a while. Mostly because I want to be able to record the bass lines I need for my recordings instead of continuing to use MIDI bass. I enjoy playing it, and take any chance I can to have some fun jamming on bass, but I need to get my own gear if I want to take it more seriously. Let's say I have a budget of $500, I need a bass and an amp. I play hard rock/heavy alternative music. Breaking Benjamin is probably my biggest influence. Plus, I write most of my music in Drop C, so either I need a 5 string, or a 4 string that can handle the down tuning, preferrably the 4-string that can handle the down tuning (just be simpler for me). If any of you can give me some good ideas, I'd appreciate the head start on the research.
Quote by fade177
Alright, so I've wanted to get into bass for a while. Mostly because I want to be able to record the bass lines I need for my recordings instead of continuing to use MIDI bass. I enjoy playing it, and take any chance I can to have some fun jamming on bass, but I need to get my own gear if I want to take it more seriously. Let's say I have a budget of $500, I need a bass and an amp. I play hard rock/heavy alternative music. Breaking Benjamin is probably my biggest influence. Plus, I write most of my music in Drop C, so either I need a 5 string, or a 4 string that can handle the down tuning, preferrably the 4-string that can handle the down tuning (just be simpler for me). If any of you can give me some good ideas, I'd appreciate the head start on the research.

That's a tough budget, cause you can get a pretty good bass for around $300 (how much mine was), but it's hard to find a decent amp for that cheap. I spent 400$ on a behringer amp (this was before I was on UG, don't judge me), and I regret it so much, cause now I just want to sell it, can't get a remotely good sound out of it.
well first of all, i have the new acoustic b20 combo amp and i freakin love it, tho i have a 5 string and it muffles the b quite often, thats about 140(120 if you get it on sales which musiciansfriend.com has frequently). as for basses, your best bet is to save up for the paul gray signature ibanez which is factory tuned badg, but that would run you 900, so i recommend for now the squire affinity jazz 5 string which is what i have. i know, ooh, squire rip off, but trust me its a great bass. that is 200 so youd have about 60 bucks for goodies
Alright, I should mention, I'm not crazy worried about the amp, I'll be using the amp just for practice. I'll probably create the tones I use using my POD X3, it's got a ton of bass amp models and like I said I'll be using it for recording, so mostly I want a good bass. So for future readers and repliers to the thread, focus more on the guitar and not the amp. Thanks everybody.
see below. I think that might help you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well if your looking for a gnarly 5 string, a squire jazz 5 string is 199, and the couple Ive played have played very well. If you want a good 4 string for odd tunings, go with an ibanez gsr200. they kick ass as well.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Quote by fade177
Alright, I should mention, I'm not crazy worried about the amp, I'll be using the amp just for practice. I'll probably create the tones I use using my POD X3, it's got a ton of bass amp models and like I said I'll be using it for recording, so mostly I want a good bass. So for future readers and repliers to the thread, focus more on the guitar and not the amp. Thanks everybody.

I would strongly advise against a squier bass to tell you the truth. It's not that they're bad, but there are just better brands/basses for the money.
You could get a new FENDER jazz or p-bass for just under 500, or you could buy a used one for a bit less then that would leave you some cash for a small amp?
I think that is a good solution.
Last edited by tona_107 at Sep 25, 2008,
Squier VM is much better than a normal Squier.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom