whats the best way to go about listening to and figuring out how to play a song. I can kind of pick up some of the basic chords and key its in by messing around with different scales. But im talking more individual notes, solos, and riffs and stuff.
^ ear training, it takes awhile. i wasn't able to do it very well until i had been playing about 4 or 5 years.

normally you need to be able to hear a chord and make a well educated guess and say "ok it resolves to a minor chord and it sounds low like its in E, theres a minor third interval there and theres a iv chord there" interval knowledge is pretty much a must.
Quote by z4twenny
^ ear training, it takes awhile. i wasn't able to do it very well until i had been playing about 4 or 5 years.

normally you need to be able to hear a chord and make a well educated guess and say "ok it resolves to a minor chord and it sounds low like its in E, theres a minor third interval there and theres a iv chord there" interval knowledge is pretty much a must.

so how would you suggest practicing that to get a better ear at hearing certain chords and making a guess to where it resolves around?
play more. thats about it really, thats all i did. i learned all my chords (or at least the big one, the major and minor variant of open chords) and what they sounded like in different positions on the fretboard. after awhile you'll notice when you're listening to music you'll start recognizing the chords when you're actively listening. personally now when i listen i actually see the hand motions.
play more. thats about it really, thats all i did. QUOTE]

thats about all the time i try to activley listen to a song picking pout dominants, tonics, modulation. the best thing about it is that you can practice anywhere with a mp3 player. it does take time, but you will be thankfull you made the effort. think about the big picture , don't try to figure out a song, use songs for practice untill you become a master
Quote by z4twenny
play more. thats about it really, thats all i did. QUOTE]

thats about all the time i try to activley listen to a song picking pout dominants, tonics, modulation. the best thing about it is that you can practice anywhere with a mp3 player. it does take time, but you will be thankfull you made the effort. think about the big picture , don't try to figure out a song, use songs for practice untill you become a master

i kind of see what your saying except for that if i already know a song, then it doesnt do a lot of good for ear training becuase i already know what comes next and how it goes. Does anyone know of a program or software that can play a chord randomly and i would then have to guess it or type it in and then it would show me the correct answer?
Quote by whoisthisguy

i kind of see what your saying except for that if i already know a song, then it doesnt do a lot of good for ear training becuase i already know what comes next and how it goes. Does anyone know of a program or software that can play a chord randomly and i would then have to guess it or type it in and then it would show me the correct answer?

i found this handy http://www.musictheory.net
Quote by FearYourFate
whats the best way to go about listening to and figuring out how to play a song. I can kind of pick up some of the basic chords and key its in by messing around with different scales. But im talking more individual notes, solos, and riffs and stuff.

You should already know a decent amount of material (songs/solos...ect) before you try to learn anything by ear. Learn them via tabs, or from a teacher or friend. What happens is that you build up a familiarity with all of the things (chords, scales, techniques, effects...ect) that you will be listening for when you do start learning things by ear.

If you don't have a repertoire yet, build one up, and in the mean time try some basic ear training exercises.......
Any easy ear training exercise you can try is to find a very simple melody on your guitar strictly with your ear. stick with really easy melodies that you know very well in your head. things like nursery rhymes or TV show themes...... anything that sticks on your head like that.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 27, 2008,
ok i do know many songs and basic melodys so ill try to listen more closey when i play them