ƒuck your nuts
that was my friends post. but something good under $500
he says he will buy used
ƒuck your nuts
he wants about 400 watts.
minimum.
he has to go used.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
400 watts ?!!
wait.. he had borrowed a friends 100 watt and we could hear him good.....
well whatever what would be a good amp for him. i dont know anything about bass amps so i just told him to post here.
btw he has a Squier P-Bass Special
ƒuck your nuts
well, he needs at least 200, if not 300 to overpower any drums, and tube, you want about 5 times what the guitar has unless you also go tube.

it isn't too good for the amp to go real loud.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
so what would be a good? that question still hasnt been answered...
ƒuck your nuts
Tried used Gallien Kruegers.

STick with the RB line:

so the 400RB, 700RB, 800RB, 1001RB, and 2001RB..

The latter 2 might be out of your budget, but the other should be well under $500 if you go used. 700RBII would be my recommendation. Its on ebay right now for $350-450ish, but with some shopping I'm sure you can find it for $300. The amp is 480watts and is good stuff. Just make sure you can find a sufficient 4x10 CAB to run it through.
Bass amps tone comes in so many flavours, and none is better than any other. Many bassists adore one kind of amp, while others would rather not use an amp at all than play through one.

Get him to try out some a bit above the price range, then go hunting for used models.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Tell him to look at an Ashdown MAG.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Ok well ill go ahead and tell you your not gonna need 400 watts to be heard over a 60 watt tube amp and drums! I play in a band and my guitarist plays on a 25 watt Marshall ministack and we have a drummer and i have a 100 watt all-tube Ampeg BA-115 which is 100 watts and i can kill them in power!

AMPEG IS THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I promise you an Ampeg amp will do you justice. They are a little pricey but i promise you it is worht the extra money. They have the best tone and plent of power.

With you competing with a 60 watt amp i would recommend Ampeg Rocket Bass Diamond Blue Series 1x15 which is 220 watts. I am inserting the review on this amp in green from Musicians Friend.

The B200R draws upon the legacy of the famous Ampeg Portaflex Flip Top from the 1960s, combining the sound, feel, and tone of this classic amplifier with solid-state technology for lightweight, maintenance-free reliability.

The B200R features a 12AU7 preamp tube; 220 watts of power driving a custom-designed, 15" Eminence speaker; and a piezo high-frequency component for additional punch and tonal clarity at the upper end. Four bands of EQ plus Ultra Low, Ultra Mid, and Ultra High switches let you fine-tune your sound with ease and efficiency. Also features a balanced XLR output with level control.

This has an all-tube preamp which i promise you will notice the difference. Its great! Go to www.zzounds.com and search this Ampeg B200R Rocket Bass Diamond Blue and look at the B-Stock item which is guarenteed to work perfectly and it comes with a full warranty. New this item is $650 but B-Stock it is $499 and it an awesome amp!!

With this tube preamp you dont have to have an outboard preamp but i recommend one! I recommend the Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI Preamp Pedal but its $199 but when yu get the money its a great investment!

I hope i've helped some and good luck with it!
1)The BA115 is solid state.
2)The 25W microstack is most likely SS as well. This tube amp is over twice the power, and all tube, equating to 3-4 times to volume.
3) You may well hear yourself well when standing right next to your own amp. However, if your drummer isn't a wuss, there is no way in hell he will hear you clearly when he is playing anything more aggressive than a basic rock beat.

Saying that, you may just be really pushing your amp, which will degrade tone quality (which the series isn't famed for anyway) and cause power amp distortion, which damages speakers over time.

Ampeg is not the be all and end all of bass amps. Their higher ranges are very high quality delivering a classic all tube bass tone. However, their lower ranges do not match the quality, and none have value for money on their side.

Carvin could be the way forwards if you are prepared to buy without trying. A supposedly clear, flexible tone and a 600W combo going for $570.

Other brands to consider are Ashdown, Warwick, Trace Elliot, Lanley etc. Try anything you can find in the price range.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1