So I've decided I'm buying an Orange. I want an edgie british indie rock sound a la Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, etc. I also play alot of Strokes, Jet, and good rock stuff.

From what I hear, Oranges can produce a killer clean tone, but also throw down one of the best overdrives around.

What would be best for me? I'm thinking of a Rockerverb 50, or an AD 30 (the two channel versions), which would be more me? Some headroom to do Metal would be nice as well, but if it compromises the cleans, I wouldn't be interested at all.

If it makes a difference, I'll be using a Orange 1X12 cab with a Celstion Vintage 30 in it.

So should I get the Rockerverb 50, or the AD 30? Or something else entirely?
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
If you really want to do Metal, I think you'd want to stretch your budget and get the Thunderverb.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I've played through the AD at Alpha Studios in Nashville for guitar tracking, and I must say it is one of the nicest amps I've played through. In this video I actually play through it (tracking) with both a Fender Tele and a Gibson SG, I have delay and overdrive on though so you won't really here that clean tone. But it's a great amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aqS4N8IZ_k
I start playing around mid way through, good stuff is around 2/3
isn't the thunderverb something like 200 watts? you certainly can't put that through a 1X12 with a vintage 30. but my friend has a rockerverb 50 head, that thing is soooo amazing. great cleans, and plenty of grit. grit is the perfect way to describe it, because it's not just an overdriven sound, its rough and awesome sounding
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
Quote by vodoochile
isn't the thunderverb something like 200 watts? you certainly can't put that through a 1X12 with a vintage 30. but my friend has a rockerverb 50 head, that thing is soooo amazing. great cleans, and plenty of grit. grit is the perfect way to describe it, because it's not just an overdriven sound, its rough and awesome sounding

They make a Thunderverb 50W head.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Getamatamp.
Well I mean I have a Peavey 6505 already, so if I really wanted to do Metal, I'd keep that. I was in a metal band for awhile but that didn't work. I just realized I ain't good at writing it, so I want an amp that can be used for my true style of music.

Getting one that's capable of giving me the indie sound I want while still doing metal pleasantly would just be an added bonus.

But so it's sounding like the Rockerverb is the better choice?

The AD 30 has more options for it's clean channel though, so would it be a little bit better to get that if I do alot of clean stuff? Of course it doesn't have reverb...
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Better yet, get your I.E. self over to Brea and talk to Doug Roccaforte.
Quote by WenisWeasel
Well I mean I have a Peavey 6505 already, so if I really wanted to do Metal, I'd keep that. I was in a metal band for awhile but that didn't work. I just realized I ain't good at writing it, so I want an amp that can be used for my true style of music.

Getting one that's capable of giving me the indie sound I want while still doing metal pleasantly would just be an added bonus.

But so it's sounding like the Rockerverb is the better choice?

The AD 30 has more options for it's clean channel though, so would it be a little bit better to get that if I do alot of clean stuff? Of course it doesn't have reverb...

Oh didn't notice that you already had a 6505. In that case, yeah I'd get the Rockerverb. Better amp in my opinion.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Yeah it was a good amp, but just too difficult to work with and just not my cup 'o tea. It had way too much gain, and it was very hissy. I've heard bands like the Sword use Oranges and it sounds much more my style for when I do play Metal.

So I figure getting a amp that does my two favorite styles which are so very different, indie, and stoner metal, would be the best.

And another thing: when I do metal I switch to a lower, C# tuning so with just a small lil' 1X12, would I have enough bottom end?

And TakeDownJBrown, sweet Youtube vid man, loved the tone, and the music was great. Nice V necks too haha.

Thanks for all the help too you guys, it means alot since this will be the most money I've ever spent musically, and I don't wanna go all out dropping $2K or more and end up not being happy.
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Last edited by WenisWeasel at Sep 25, 2008,
^The Sword uses an OR80.

Dude, I shit you not about the Roccaforte

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnO8hRm4DtA

EDIT: If you play Stoner Metal. Get a Matamp.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2102306&highlight=matamp
Oh they do eh? Hmmm well I have seen those around on eBay, maybe I'd consider it, though they are very expensive. Even though I'm trying to lean more towards indie, god damn it's hard to deny how hard Stoner Metal rocks, and I love that Sword Sabbeth-esque tone, on their new album especially.

But oh well I don't play that stuff that much anymore so I guess the Rockerverb is looking the best, since I hear it can pull that as well.

And dude nice video, freaking love that tone!

Well like I said though, I want something that can do indie primarily, and would just be alright for Stoner Metal.
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Personally, If I was buying an Orange and wanted Doomy/Stoner tones, I would get the Thunderverb.

But I would get a Matamp or a Roccaforte first. On the cheap, I would get a Laney AOR Protube or a Sovtek Mig 50/60.

But def. consider Matamp and Roccaforte. That vid is Doug Roccaforte.
Well I'll look into it. Yeah Thunderverb would be the way to go for that, I've heard tremendous things about it. But I've got a relatively low budget of just a little over $2K for cab AND head, so I can't get too expensive.

Are matamps typically very expensive?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
^Bout the same as Orange.

How about some links?

http://www.electricamp.com/

USA Matamps

http://www.matamp.co.uk/

UK Matamps

http://www.roccaforteamps.com/

Roccaforte
Hmm... Alright thank you very much!

I'll try and work out some stuff with my budget and check out some of those Matamps and Roccaforte's.

Thank you infinitely for the help!
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
The rockerverb has 4 gain stages as opposed to the 3 gain stages in the rocker 30 and thunderverb...
^The Thunderverb has more balls.

Matamp is better than both.
rocker plus a tube screamer ftw

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker