I use the Jazz III, and recently lost my one made of Toltex or whatever the heck it is - the yellowish one. So I reverted to my black standard Jazz III. Is the Toltex designed to be a no-slip sort of material, because I find when my fingers get sweaty, my black pick will slip from my grasp, where my other one did not.

Anyone else find this to be true?

EDIT: Whoops, apparently it's Ultex?
I find my black ones easier to grip than the reds.. maybe you should just sweat less.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I don't like the blacks.. they feel too firm and don't have as much give. I think they are the same thickness, but the plastic used is different. The grip also feels different than the red, like you can dig into the reds, but I'm probably just being Eric Johnson about it.
I like the grip on the blacks more than the reds, but I like the attack, tone, and speed I get from the reds more. Less string friction.

call me crazy, but I can't play nearly as fast with the blacks.

Now, my fav pic at the moment is a dunlop H3 Tortex. It's shaped like the Jazz III's but a bit thinner, and the tortex material. After using it a while I got much more accurate, faster, and had more control over my picking dynamics.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I doubt my local guitar shop will have EJ picks, as much as I'd like 'em.

The Dunlop H3, you say... that sounds pretty good. I dunno, I just find I play more efficiently with the Ultex/Tortex ones... the black seems way too stiff...

I guess I'll head down there tomorrow and see what they have in the "teardrop" stylings of picks.
I actually prefer the Ultex picks. I think they were made to be firmer than the nylons - I also prefer the feel. Dunno about sweat resistant, though - I don't have sweaty hands.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I use Black XL Jazz III's, they're great!

I actually cant use any other picks now, they just feel so.......ugh...

god damm you dunlop, you've ruined me..
My Gear:
Jackson RR3 + Bill Lawrence L500XL

Sennheiser EW500 Wireless
T-bone EWS wireless
IbanezTS9
MXR 6Band EQ
Ibanez WD7
Decimator

Peavey VK100
Epiphone ValveJunior
Kustom Quad100DFX 2x12
MicroCube!
Marshall 1960A 4 x 12
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wait, if you already own some black Jazz III's, burn the edge with a lighter like I do! It works great.

You should definitely try to do this with the white Fender picks.

I can only use the Ultex ones too... and no shops sell them! Why is there no cry smiley?

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I doubt my local guitar shop will have EJ picks, as much as I'd like 'em.

The Dunlop H3, you say... that sounds pretty good. I dunno, I just find I play more efficiently with the Ultex/Tortex ones... the black seems way too stiff...

I guess I'll head down there tomorrow and see what they have in the "teardrop" stylings of picks.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Tortex-Jazz-Pick?sku=110060
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I've used those before too. I wore them down too quickly, same reason why I stopped using Dunlop Tortex Sharps.

I just think Tortex wears too fast in general...
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah. I used to go through them like crazy, because I really dig in.

Haven't had that problem with Jazz III's.

One red Jazz III for me lasts 2-3weeks before it goes dull. I've used a set of blacks for a month and they are like new, but I don't like the attack on them very much (the feel you get when you hit the strings)
just for the sake of reviving an old thread. I was sworn to jazz III EJS (best outa the jazz IIIs, along with the purple tortexes if thats your think) but some little girl I was teaching play guitar left her cheapy red standard tortex plectrum and I must say its fast, tip with tortex is dont get them to thick otherwise they wear to fast. Anyway these 0.5mm have a really nice feel to them, great for fast runs because they have enough give so that your wrist doesnt get knackered half way up the fretboard. And just the right thickness so that on a 25.5 guitar they bite just rite, not to much you get stuck (as sometimes happens with the EJs, or any other Jazz III), but not thin enough you havent got any control. Anyway give them a try, really feel different to all the other tortexes to me.
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
picks are just one of those things that is entirely opinion. It's something that everyone is going to have their own preferences on and no one can say its wrong or they need to upgrade, lol
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
i might try the l3 tortex jazz IIIs
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus